General (WHO) Dr. Who Spoilers

Davros seems a bit too reliant on being ahead for 1v1.

Kind of an interesting design. Really hard to parse though, despite how simple it looks. I think it's a slow draw 3 for 2W, which probably doesn't get there for most people, me included.

You could make a lot of 6/6 wurms with this. Probably not worth it to make a treasure every turn for six turns, but it make it less awful to play out in advance of your token maker.

I wish these sagas didn't have so many god damn chapters, part of the reason I like sagas is that they disappear eventually. That said, this honestly looks like a Torch of Defiance that your opponent can't attack in a lot of games, I think it's actually kind of cracked.

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1690740666614.png
This seems genuinely good
Edit: come to think of it, it is pretty good! It's chandra, torch of defiance! There's some slight differences:
-Less flexible
-No life total pressure
-No ult (Different ult?)
-Can't be attacked

And on the whole I think it's worse, but toned down Chandra Four is probably sweet for someone, even if I don't really think I need two of this same effect

Last edited:
View attachment 8560
Edit: come to think of it, it is pretty good! It's chandra, torch of defiance! There's some slight differences:
-Less flexible
-No life total pressure
-No ult (Different ult?)
-Can't be attacked

And on the whole I think it's worse, but toned down Chandra Four is probably sweet for someone, even if I don't really think I need two of this same effect
You're absolutely right, but I can't stand this storyline so much that even if I wanted a second Chandra Four, I'd pick something slightly worse instead.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I mean hey we have the technology, they can be rebuilt (universes within)
Vertical art is kinda hard to find tho.
(I stopped watching Dr Who halfway through Matt Smith's tenure, and never saw the old doctor stuff from the 60s, so a LOT of this is lost or forgotten on me.)

View attachment 8560
-Less flexible
-No life total pressure
-No ult (Different ult?)
-Can't be attacked

I think not being removable through attacks could actually make this card better than Chandra. It can’t win as fast but it draws you so many cards that you should probably win the game on it’s back!
You're absolutely right, but I can't stand this storyline so much that even if I wanted a second Chandra Four, I'd pick something slightly worse instead.
Are these episodes bad? Never got into the 13th Doctor, I sort of stopped watching by the beginning of the 12th.

Are these episodes bad? Never got into the 13th Doctor, I sort of stopped watching by the beginning of the 12th.

Yes, made worse by the promise that Jodie would finally get a chance to have at least one good story arc after the absolute worst season in Modern Who.

Jodie is such a delight. The failure in the writing across all three series with her at the center remains one of my greatest frustrations in modern pop culture.

theweddingofriversong.jpg

Is this the storm support I have been looking for in white?
I'm not sure if I can cram in the rules text for suspend here though, even if I adjust the wording on time travel. I do cube other suspend cards, but it's not like a big portion of my cube.

Legitimate question: what happens when you cast The Wedding of River Song and you exile something with MV 0? Also, is it just me or are the card names way more... blunt... this time around?

Some designs that I rather like:

astridpeth.jpg

On the one hand, it's a delicious action word salad. On the other hand, it chews through the top of your deck like anything once you've got it going.

ecstaticbeauty.jpg
decayingtimeloop.jpg

These are both just kinda clever, and benefit from having names that don't scream "THIS IS FROM DOCTOR WHO!" at the top of their lungs.

Legitimate question: what happens when you cast The Wedding of River Song and you exile something with MV 0? Also, is it just me or are the card names way more... blunt... this time around?

Some designs that I rather like:

astridpeth.jpg

On the one hand, it's a delicious action word salad. On the other hand, it chews through the top of your deck like anything once you've got it going.

Kylie Minogue is a guaranteed inclusion in my cube. I was running Meriadoc Brandybuck for a moment and this is just so much better and does so many fun trinket things. Easy easy pick, even if I wasn't running trinkets-matter and legends-matter. Speaking of which...

en_071e00f922.png

Would kill to run this if it was just 1 cheaper. I may end up running my boy Fourth but this is a bit too slow.

Honestly, pretty disappointed at the lack of other interesting cards revealed today, especially the 8th/9th doctors being so Timey-Wimey deck focused and classic companions being a little limp. But:

en_8432eee824.png

This isn't terrible as a 1-drop in blue. I wish it only cost a tap or a U to make other legendary creatures unblockable. Even with my strong legendary creatures matter theme, I can't imagine this being popular enough to justify it. BUT. I'm the only one I have to justify tests to ;)

en_7b35c458fd.png

This is one of the coolest cards ever printed. Not necessarily something that makes sense in my cube, but it's not entirely unreasonable: a half Wildfire at instant is neat, as is a Teferi's protection that can be combined with it. I just love this card from a flavor/design POV so so so much.

en_1a33032016.pngen_dc2012399f.pngen_eb2fcb684e.pngen_2a4847033f.pngen_ec4d0a1712.png

Beautiful, beautiful cycle of basics from the great Titus Lunter that just look like random places in the UK (which they generally are, to be fair).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
A card is only considered to be suspended if it has at least one time counter on it, so time travel doesn't work.
That's incorrect. A card can be suspended with zero time counters on it. The problem is that suspend says "When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost.", which means that a card that is suspended with no time counters on it will never be cast, because a time counter can never be removed from it. In other words, the correct choice when you cast The Wedding of River Song and exile a card with mv 0 with it, is to add a counter to it. If you choose to remove a counter from it (which is still a valid choice) it will remain suspended with 0 time counters on it indefinitely (or at least until you find another way to add a time counter to it, which you can do now that time travel exists).

Edit: It seems it was I who was, in fact, incorrect. Sorry y'all!

Last edited:
That's incorrect.
So in other words I can exile a bunch of suspend cards from my graveyard with a relic of progenitus and time travel to cast them all for free on my next turn? I don't just make up these rulings when I post them.
702.62b A card is “suspended” if it’s in the exile zone, has suspend, and has a time counter on it.

What a cute alternative to Assemble the Legion that even poops out Skyknight Legionnaires! This is way faster than the enchantment and also has a big finish, meaning that it still has some inevitability but isn't quite as painful in the "yes I'm definitely going to lose but it won't happen until eight turns from now and there's a chance villain might goof so I gotta play it out" sense. Also love me some dinosaurs.

Do I kinda hate universes beyond? Yes. Will I play this card regardless? Maybe? It's a little on the weak side, but it's most of a Raff Capashen with a bit of Dennick, Pious Apprentice // Dennick, Pious Apparition. Maybe the lesson here is that I should play Raff and Dennick. I think that's what I'm going to do instead. Thanks, team!

Whale tribal is actually real now, you know that? Between this, Horned Loch-Whale, Ethereal Forager, and Waker of Waves, my favorite real-world creature type now has a glut of fun midpower options that can do something early and still be big slabs of blue beef in the later game or in reanimator decks (okay, not the forager but still). They're good early, they're good late, and they do weird things. Run more whales.

So in other words I can exile a bunch of suspend cards from my graveyard with a relic of progenitus and time travel to cast them all for free on my next turn? I don't just make up these rulings when I post them.
No you cannot because they don't have suspend.

But with The Wedding of River Song the exiled card gains suspend. It says so on the card.
"Cards exiled this way that don't have suspend gain suspend."
And then it becomes a suspended card in exile with 0 time counters on it if we take LadyMapi's question into consideration. Then you can time travel to add a counter. And wait 1 turn. Voila!

No you cannot because they don't have suspend.
Suspend cards, which is to say Search for Tomorrow, Rift Bolt, etc, don't have suspend?
But with The Wedding of River Song the exiled card gains suspend. It says so on the card.
"Cards exiled this way that don't have suspend gain suspend."
Why do you think it has that "don't have suspend" clause?
And then it becomes a suspended card in exile with 0 time counters on it
No, it becomes a card in exile with 0 counters on it that has suspend, which is an important mechanical distinction.