General Custom Cards: The Lab

Some dumb ideas I've had through the ages!

Fires of Judgement {W}{B}{R}
Instant (R)
Fires of Judgement deals 3 damage to target player and you gain 3 life. You may have Fires of Judgement deal 3 damage to target creature that player controls.

{1}{W}{B}
Instant (R)
~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
//FUSE//
{1}{W}{R}
Instant (R)

No luck naming it yet though. Insult Injury was suggested.

Restore Order {3}{W}{B}
Sorcery (U)
Destroy target permanent, you may return a permanent card from your graveyard to yonder hand.

Terrible Chasm {4}{B}
Sorcery (C)
Destroy target land, it's controller must sacrifice a creature.

None of these cards really mean anything. I don't think I've been posting because I haven't really had a solid idea chunked out to sell yet.

Some dumb ideas I've had through the ages!

Fires of Judgement {W}{B}{R}
Instant (R)
Fires of Judgement deals 3 damage to target player and you gain 3 life. You may have Fires of Judgement deal 3 damage to target creature that player controls.

{1}{W}{B}
Instant (R)
//FUSE//
{1}{W}{R}
Instant (R)

No luck naming it yet though. Insult Injury was suggested.

Restore Order {3}{W}{B}
Sorcery (U)
Destroy target permanent, you may return a permanent card from your graveyard to yonder hand.

Terrible Chasm {4}{B}
Sorcery (C)
Destroy target land, it's controller must sacrifice a creature.

None of these cards really mean anything. I don't think I've been posting because I haven't really had a solid idea chunked out to sell yet.

fires - i like this its cool, perhaps the name is too similar to fiery justice though
split card - why can {W}{B} do that, i don't get it. feels wrong.
terrible chasm - feels bad i dont know how to judge cards like this.

here was my version of restore order:
Lucre gave me this idea, his was {4}{W}{B} for vindicate + nature's spiral
Obzedat’s Vindicaid {2}{W}{B}
Sorcery
Choose one — Destroy target permanent; or return target permanent card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Entwine {2} (Choose both if you pay the entwine cost.)

fires - i like this its cool, perhaps the name is too similar to fiery justice though
split card - why can {W}{B} do that, i don't get it. feels wrong.
terrible chasm - feels bad i dont know how to judge cards like this.

Hmmm well you could look up Death Grasp, but really there have been tonnes of black deal damage gain life cards and more than a couple deal damage to any target gain life cards. I am following the rule of Colour does thing it was allowed to do before more efficiently when other colour that touches the ability helps them out. You know, the lightning helix - essence drain comparison feels about right here. White's been getting better at doing damage over people's heads, to creatures, and draining for ages now too. Just look at this as a funnier 3 colour death grasp.

Well I need to keep reminding myself not to make white or blue three drops, because, really, who need them? But I couldn't help myself with this idea. It could easily just be a plain white card too. Or like a flying spirit itself. Could easily strip abilities from it.

Haunted Ally {1}{W/B}{W/B}
Creature - Human Cleric
Intimidate, Lifelink
When Haunted Ally enters the battlefield or dies put a 1/1 white spirit token with flying into play.
1/1

Now lets do more flash creatures or 3 drops in colours that could use better creatures.
First a dump from when I was told to make more green flash creatures

Gatehopper Moa {2}{G}
Creature - Bird Beast (U)
Flash
When Gatehopper Moa enters the battlefield you may return a creature you control to it's owner's hand.
3/3

Could mess with the p/t to cost ratio, could make it return a card when off your turn. This card would be really mediocre without flash but it's not impossible.

Sympathetic Swarm {1}{G}{G}
Creature - Insect [R]
Flash
When Sympathetic Swarm enters the battlefield put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
When Sympathetic Swarm enters the battlefield put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
1/1

You could remove the flash and make it 2g you could give it some kind of evasion, make sure it can't hit itself with the counters, only give the counters to creatures of a certain colour or type, make it give 1 counter to each creature you control, lots of possible edits here.

Rustle In the Bushes {2}{G}
Instant
Put a 2/2 green wolf creature token into play.
Draw a card.

tribal to make it better with goyfe or whatever. shapeshifter if you are really cool and interesting. lots of ways to turn this into a limited quality spell by making the draw conditional. Token could be bigger if draw was conditional.

Sound the Hunt {1}{G}
Instant
put a 2/2 green wolf creature token into play.
Flashback 1G

I originally had the flashback at 1W but conservatives on salvation pointed out to me that it would be fine at 1G and I found I agreed with them. lots of cost adjustment to be had here but mainly to ones own taste.

Predatory Ooze {2}{G}
Creature - Ooze
Devour 1
Flash, Deathtouch
2/2

Easy to pair down. Just supposed to be an efficient guy with flash that's easy to spend half a turn on. could even be hybrid black.

Sylvan Protector {2}{G}
Artifact Creature - Plant Golem
When Sylvan protector dies draw a card.
3/3

Hmmm well you could look up Death Grasp, but really there have been tonnes of black deal damage gain life cards and more than a couple deal damage to any target gain life cards. I am following the rule of Colour does thing it was allowed to do before more efficiently when other colour that touches the ability helps them out. You know, the lightning helix - essence drain comparison feels about right here. White's been getting better at doing damage over people's heads, to creatures, and draining for ages now too. Just look at this as a funnier 3 colour death grasp.
but it doesnt gain you life

and white doesnt get to do it normally outside of multicolor, or targeting only attacking creatures

haunted ally - this is a card, i dont feel any particular way about it
gatekeeper moa - feels white or blue
sympathetic swarm - seems fine to me
rustle - seems fine
sound the hunt - this owns a lot i like it good stuff
predatory ooze - idk how i feel about devour. also predator ooze is a card people will remember
sylvan protector - cool card

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Haunted Ally{1}{W/B}{W/B}
Creature - Human Cleric
Intimidate, Lifelink
When Haunted Ally enters the battlefield or dies put a 1/1 white spirit token with flying into play.
1/1
Sounds cool. I feel like it should have flying to mirror the token, but either way it seems fine.

Gatehopper Moa {2}{G}
Creature - Bird Beast (U)
Flash
When Gatehopper Moa enters the battlefield you may return a creature you control to it's owner's hand.
3/3
Sounds good. Maybe it's more useful as a bear, a la whitemane lion? I never know how good this kind of guy is
Sympathetic Swarm {1}{G}{G}
Creature - Insect [R]
Flash
1/1
Another nice trick. I could totally see "other target creature" on both lines and a beefier body, if you wanna do that instead.
Its possible it wants a name change? I think it feels like it should have flying as well right now, though that's probably too good
Rustle In the Bushes {2}{G}
Instant
Put a 2/2 green wolf creature token into play.
Draw a card.
I like this guy. Not sure why, but I do

Sound the Hunt{1}{G}
Instant
put a 2/2 green wolf creature token into play.
Flashback 1G
Call of the Herd Wolf! I like it :D
The flash helps make up for the difference in body, since 2/2s are relavantly smaller than 3/3s even for the difference in mana cost
Predatory Ooze{2}{G}
Creature - Ooze
Devour 1
Flash, Deathtouch
2/2
Seems okay. I wasn't too huge a fan of flash devour ooze in the first place, so I don't know if deathtouch does it for me, but I could well be wrong.
Sylvan Protector{2}{G}
Artifact Creature - Plant Golem
When Sylvan protector dies draw a card.
3/3

The mean person in me wants to make him a 3/4 just to make an aggro deck hate life when he hits the table, but that's probably a bit much. Maybe for {1}{G}{G}?

n956.jpg

I agree that the effect isn't black, but I think Hybrid 1 drops can be treated as Gold cards. There are other ways to do multicolor themed 1 drops, of course (kird ape, deathrite shaman).

That said, I'd be fine with switching it to U/W if we could come up with a good hybrid 1 drop for BW. Though I guess it should really just be white.

Limited what have you

Krosan Druid
{1}{G}
Creature - Elf Druid (U)
{T}: Add {G} to your mana pool.
Whenever a creature with converted mana cost enters the battlefield, you may put a +1/+1 counter on that creature.
1/1

Uncivilize {1}{G}
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant Creature
Flash
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and trample.

Scouting Forays {1}{G}
Instant (U)
Until end of turn, whenever target creature deals damage to a player, draw a card.
Draw a card.

Nesting Sauradon {2}{G}
Creature - Lizard Beast (C)
When Nesting Sauradon enters the battlefield you may return a land card from your graveyard to hand.
3/2

Steppe Elves {3}{G}
Creature - Elf Warrior (C)
When Steppe Elves enters the battlefield put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
Creatures with +1/+1 counters on them have trample.
2/2

Beckoning Spirit {2}{B}
Creature - Spirit (C)
Flying, intimidate
Sacrifice Beckoning Spirit: Draw a card and lose 1 life.
1/1

Shady Business {1}{B}
Instant (C)
Target player loses 2 life.
You may return a creature card from your graveyard to hand.

The Master's Attention {2}{B} {B}
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant Creature
If you control enchanted creature it gets +3/+3 if not it gets -3/-3.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Limited what have you

Krosan Druid {1}{G}
Creature - Elf Druid (U)
{T}: Add {G} to your mana pool.
Whenever a creature with converted mana cost enters the battlefield, you may put a +1/+1 counter on that creature.
1/1
I'm unsure of how good this guy is based on what the complete rules text is, as there's a word missing as is.
If it's CMC = 4, I think it's cute, and not bad for regular limited. Maybe too much of an in joke though
We could go deep with something like "an even CMC", that could be cool. Maybe too weird? Make sure to stipulate how to treat zero if this is the plan
3 or less could work too, so it could affect tokens, but I think he seems weird as a ramp creature if that's the case.

Uncivilize {1}{G}
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant Creature
Flash
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and trample.
Small bonus, decent trick. I'm not sure it does enough to make it into the average limited deck, though it deffinitly would at a temp +2/+2 and trample.
Maybe that's going against the point? I dunno
Scouting Forays {1}{G}
Instant (U)
Until end of turn, whenever target creature deals damage to a player, draw a card.
Draw a card.
I like it! Green Night's Whisper, trading combat damage for the life payment. Sounds awesome :D

I've also been toying with this idea:
{G}{3} Sorcery
Affiinity for creatures
Draw 2
Nesting Sauradon {2}{G}
Creature - Lizard Beast (C)
When Nesting Sauradon enters the battlefield you may return a land card from your graveyard to hand.
3/2
Sounds fine to me. Certainly depends on the enviornment, but I love utility creatures like this having non embarassing bodies, as I've played many a balduvian barbarians in limited, but basically zero grey ogres.
If this somehow ends up being too good, being a 2/3 is fine as well, a la riot devils
Steppe Elves {3}{G}
Creature - Elf Warrior (C)
When Steppe Elves enters the battlefield put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
Creatures with +1/+1 counters on them have trample.
2/2
Probably right on the curve for normal limited.
Beckoning Spirit {2}{B}
Creature - Spirit (C)
Flying, intimidate
Sacrifice Beckoning Spirit: Draw a card and lose 1 life.
1/1
Seems a bit weak honestly. Without damage stacking, maybe we want this as a 2/1 and pick one evasion?
Two evasions also seems odd, but hey
Shady Business {1}{B}
Instant (C)
Target player loses 2 life.
You may return a creature card from your graveyard to hand.
I'd have to test this a bit, but it seems like a recipie for success:
Mostly mediocre effect + Free Damage = Awesome
The Master's Attention {2}{B} {B}
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant Creature
If you control enchanted creature it gets +3/+3 if not it gets -3/-3.

Love it love it love it!
You do remember Clutch of Undeath don't you lucas :D
Always loved that card, but it did cost too much for cube, and was a bit too tribal tied

Looking for ideas on off-color kicker, off-color flashback, and hybrids with activated abilities or kicker requiring both colors.
What I've come up with so far is a Boros hybrid 1/1 double striker with a 2rw bestow cost.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Sadly if he's just R/W, he's probably too good :(
I know it looks like he's a 2/1, but hes WAY better than that, so he should probably be R/W1 to cast.

Though I have R1 1/1 Double Strike, Bestow WW2 in my cube and love it

Sadly if he's just R/W, he's probably too good :(
I know it looks like he's a 2/1, but hes WAY better than that, so he should probably be R/W1 to cast.

Though I have R1 1/1 Double Strike, Bestow WW2 in my cube and love it

Have no worries, I costed it right at 1r/w. Its quite similar to yours, except it works in mono red or mostly red decks too.

Also:
Acuity 1U
Instant
Draw 2 cards, then put a card from your hand on top of you library unless you discard 2 cards.

Looking for ideas on off-color kicker, off-color flashback, and hybrids with activated abilities or kicker requiring both colors.
What I've come up with so far is a Boros hybrid 1/1 double striker with a 2rw bestow cost.
what exactly are you building

here's some partial stuff that i've mostly posted before. some might be broken idk. the split cards all have fuse which is sort of kicker so yeah
Artificer’s Instincts {2}{W}
Instant
Reveal the top four cards of your library. Put an artifact or enchantment card from among them into your hand and the rest into your graveyard.
Flashback {1}{U} (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

Sudden Departure {U}
Instant
Each player returns a creature he or she controls to its owner’s hand.
Flashback {2}{W} (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

Arrows of Despair {3}{R}
Instant
Delve
Arrows of Despair deals 3 damage divided as you choose among up to three target creatures, players, and/or planeswalkers.
Flashback {9}{B}

Unburial Restore {2}{G}
Sorcery
Put target land card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.
Flashback 1{B} (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

jund flashback vindicate {2}{B}{G}
Sorcery
Destroy target nonland nonenchantment permanent.
Flashback—{3}{B}{R}, Pay 3 life. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

Classification {2}{G}{U}
Instant
Look at the top five cards of your library. Put one of those cards into your hand, one on top of your library, one on the bottom of your library, and two in your graveyard.
Flashback—B{G}, Pay 3 life. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

sneak the breach {2}{G}{U}
Instant
You may put a permanent card from your hand onto the battlefield. It gains haste. Return the permanent to its owner’s hand at the beginning of the next end step.
Flashback—{U}{R}, Pay 3 life. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

Cease {1}{W}
Instant
Each player sacrifices a multicolored permanent.
///
Desist {1}{U}
Instant
Counter target monocolored spell unless its controller pays 3.

Force {U}
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 1.
///
Tithe {W}
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 1.

Hammer {R}{W}
Instant
Hammer deals 3 damage to target creature and you gain 3 life.
///
Sickle {1}{B}{B}
Instant
Destroy target creature.
Scry 2

Make {{G}/{W}}{{G}/{W}}{{G}/{W}}
Instant
Put three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
///
Unmake {{W}/{B}}{{W}/{B}}{{W}/{B}}
Instant
Exile target creature.

Quake {1}{R}
Sorcery
Quake deals 2 damage to each creature without flying.
///
Wave {4}{U}
Sorcery
Return all nonland permanents to their owner’s hands.

Search {2}{U}{R}
Instant
Reveal the top five cards of your library and separate them into two piles. An opponent chooses one of those piles. Put that pile into your hand and the other into your graveyard.
///
Destroy {B}{R}
Instant
Destroy target creature. It can’t be regenerated.

Shake {G}
Instant
Destroy target artifact or enchantment. Its controller gains 4 life.
///
Bake {1}{R}
Instant
Bake deals 5 damage to target monocolored creature.

Warm {G}{W}
Instant
Search your library for a land card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. You gain 2 life.
///
Fuzzy {U}
Instant
Exile target creature. That creature’s controller puts a 3/3 green Ape creature token onto the battlefield.

Just for my cube. I'm thinking I want 10-20 cards that fit in the category. I haven't counted yet, though. Some of those split cards are really cool. Especially like the force spike mana tithe. I like the Murder with scry 2, though not as a split card, and it probably needs to be scry 1, as with Dissolve

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah, a few of those seem too good. Aren't people still cubing lightning helix, let alone lightning helix with optional murder?

Also a few (but not all) of those would be awesome with fuse :D I'd especially love the double force spike one with fuse

Yeah, a few of those seem too good. Aren't people still cubing lightning helix, let alone lightning helix with optional murder?

Also a few (but not all) of those would be awesome with fuse :D I'd especially love the double force spike one with fuse
its helix without hitting players. i havent actually cubed that one though

I'll take a look at my old salvation account one of these nights for fodder. I used to be into just that sort of thing.

Brainstorming solutions to the 1CC "problem":

Hungry Hordes 3
Creature - Beast
~ is green.
~ enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter for each green mana spent to cast it.
2/2

Could just cost 2G and lose the horrible hordes mode I guess

two izzet designs

Card Draw Flashback {2}{U}
Instant
Draw two cards. If ~ was cast from a graveyard, instead draw two cards and discard two cards.
Flashback {2}{R} (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

Prodigal Looter {2}{U/R}
Creature — Human Rogue
{T}: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
{T}: Draw a card, then discard a card.
1/2