General Custom Cards: The Lab

Unburial Restore {2}{G}
Sorcery
Put target land card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.
Flashback {1}{B}

My "Fight Kavu"s

Bloodcaller {2}{R/G}{R/G}
Creature - Beast (R)
When Bloodcaller enters the battlefield target creature you control fights another target creature you do not control.
3/4

Bloodcaller {2}{R}{G}
Creature - Beast (R)
Haste
When Bloodcaller enters the battlefield it fights target creature you do not control.
3/4

Lets let RG have some fun too.

Oh while I'm at it, have you lot seen my {R/G}{R/G} 2/2 that ghost quarter's a land when it enters?

ideas

Steelskin Carapace {2}{G}
Artifact — Equipment
Living Weapon
Equipped creature gets +3/+3 and has trample.
Equip—Sacrifice a creature.

Oh while I'm at it, have you lot seen my {R/G}{R/G} 2/2 that ghost quarter's a land when it enters?
yes and i think its pretty cool

Steelskin Carapace {2}{G}
Artifact — Equipment
Living Weapon
Equipped creature gets +3/+3 and has trample.
Equip—Sacrifice a creature.
This is a cool idea, and makes me think of this:

Predator's Blade (some combination of {R} and or {G})
Artifact - Equipment
Devour 2 (except with charge counters)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each charge counter on ~
Equip -- sacrifice a creature, put a charge counter on ~

or something thoroughly weird like that....

Some random ideas:

dual color hideaways,
Faerie conclave is to Shelldock Isle as
Raging Ravine is to ????
I love the hideaways, and i wish there were more cubable ones. Making them fix your mana will probably go a long way...
The template would probably be something along the lines of:

2 color hideaway
Land
Hideaway
{T} Add {c1} or {c2} to your mana pool
{c1}{c2}{Plus some colorless?}{T}:You may play the removed card without paying its mana cost if SOMETHING

The red blue one could care about spells (obviously).. maybe if you have some number of instants or sorceries in your grave?
The Green white one could check quantity of creatures.
The White Black one could care about life gain/loss or something..
The Red Green one could be like the werewolf ability, ie. check if a player cast spells last turn or something...
Blue Black could look at hand size, like if you have 2 more cards in hand than an opponent?
I haven't spent a lot of time on the specifics here, its just a kernel of an idea

When you allow the activation cost to vary, the options really open up. Since the original hideaways had to prevent activation in the early turns, their requirements had to be really strict. I like the idea of creating fun mini games out of it(like the werewolf ability) and or disruptable conditions like number of creatures on the field.
Also, what about non-land hideaways? Wizards actually kinda printed one: Clone shell

listened to maro's podcasts about torment and he mentioned nantuko shade and i also thought about the apocalypse cards i've looked at recently from the alt standard
Desert Stalker {1}{R}
Creature — Shade
{B}, Pay 1 life: Desert Stalker gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
{W}: Desert Stalker gains lifelink until end of turn.
2/1

2 color hideaway could work yeah, its just a matter of finding interesting conditions. i don't think there are enough cool ones to do a full cycle honestly. but a few would be neat

Mirri, Green Control Walker {2}{G}{G}
Planeswalker — Mirri
+2: Look at the top three cards of your library, then put them back in any order.
-2: ~ deals 2 damage to each creature with flying.
-4: Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
Starting Loyalty: 3
redid based on advice on skype from Hannes

Mirri, Green Control Walker {2}{G}{G}
Planeswalker — Mirri
+2: Look at the top three cards of your library, then put them back in any order.
-X: Mirri, Green Control Walker deals X damage to each creature with flying.
-4: Return up to two target cards from your graveyard to your hand.
Starting Loyalty: 2

chatlog of discussion:
[05:57:25] Hannes: I think "return up to two green cards from your gy to your hand" would be fine as a -4
[05:57:42] Hannes: or just
[05:57:48] Hannes: "up to two cards"
[05:58:02] Hannes: desert stalker is cool though
[05:59:58] anotak: well you can -4 the turn after it comes out and keep it around
[06:00:09] anotak: is the only thing i'd be scared of
[06:00:10] anotak: hm
[06:00:27] Hannes: ah wait
[06:00:35] Hannes: it's a +2
[06:00:40] anotak: yeah
[06:00:47] Hannes: thanks to kiora i thought it was a +1 starting at 2
[06:00:51] anotak: haha
[06:01:03] Hannes: maybe a +2 starting at 2 ?
[06:01:14] anotak: that could be ok yeah
[06:01:23] anotak: the -2 feels so bad then though
[06:01:26] Hannes: it's boltsafe that way, and would be able to either up + ult
[06:01:35] Hannes: or up up^and ult every three turns
[06:02:06] Hannes: leaving an empty turn to break fog-locks etc.
[06:02:12] anotak: paying 2GG for squall seems pretty bad, but it seems like its too good to make that a -1
[06:02:32] Hannes: -X ?
[06:02:37] anotak: hmm
[06:04:01] anotak: do you mean the -4 should return 2 cards with it starting at 2?
[06{10}36] Hannes: yeah
[06{10}50] Hannes: and maybe it would be cool to have a -X damage to flyers ?
[06:11:12] Hannes: so you could +2, then -
X for 4 killing something like a stormbreath dragon
[06:11:55] Hannes: but not a stormbreath though
[06:11:57] Hannes: but like
[06:12:16] Hannes: any X/4 flier that's not a hasty dude

here's another thing too
Nin’s Reactor {3}{R}
Artifact
{T}: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
{U}, {T}: Draw a card.
{G}, {T}: Add {R}{R}{R} to your mana pool.

time for some degenerate tricolor cards

Jund Destroy Flashback {1}{B}{G}
Sorcery
Destroy target nonland nonenchantment permanent.
Flashback—{3}{B}{R}, Pay 3 life. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

Sneak and Bounce? Show and Bounce? Through the Bounce? {2}{G}{U}
Instant
You may put a permanent card from your hand onto the battlefield. It gains haste. Return the permanent to its owner’s hand at the beginning of the next end step.
Flashback—{U}{R}, Pay 3 life. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

Forbidden Telling Grisly Tracker’s Instincts Time Salvage Alchemy {2}{G}{U}
Instant
Look at the top five cards of your library. Put one of those cards into your hand, one on top of your library, one on the bottom of your library, and two in your graveyard.
Flashback—{B}{G}, Pay 3 life. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Those are just really good 2 color cards. You hardly need to be playing red to make that jund one good.
Also how is sneak attack UG at all? I feel that combining Show and Tell with anything might not be the best starting point...
it also DEFFINITLY shouldn't flashback for 2. That's like reanimator but in one card

Those are just really good 2 color cards. You hardly need to be playing red to make that jund one good.
Also how is sneak attack UG at all? I feel that combining Show and Tell with anything might not be the best starting point...
it also DEFFINITLY shouldn't flashback for 2. That's like reanimator but in one card
it's also not basically reanimator because it only lasts a turn. to clarify i would not be cubing cards like griselbrand or eldrazi side by side with spells like this. would this be that abusive with a consecrated sphinx? the cards it would be particularly abusive with that i currently run are angel of serenity, prime speaker zegana, and maybe shadowborn demon or acidic slime? oh and that custom 7 drop golem that blows up a nonland when it comes in.

perhaps it should be RG and UR. if your problem is merely with the green aspect:
tooth and nail
dramatic entrance
elvish piper

and yeah the jund one is probably just way too good

the card draw one is probably much worse than fact or fiction until you flash it back but then its way better. maybe that's too good, but it does require a particular 3 color combination

i gotta attach the 'trying to balance for cube and not constructed' disclaimer. because these are all 3 certainly horrifically broken in constructed

Chris Taylor

Contributor
No the green I get, it's the blue I don't think deserves it. Though you'll notice most of those are turn 5+, and dramatic entrance is restricted besides

RE: Cost, you can make an enviornment where {1} one sided eureka is a fair card, but I wouldn't recommend it. Building with regular magic in mind makes for more healthy decisions I find. Some wiggle room is certainly allowed, but I think this might be too far.

The forbidden Alchemy one I think could actually be 3 mana, since it does only net you one card. Compare the amount of colors you end up trading for deep analysis

please don't print this
Invisible Shaman {B/G}{U}
Creature — Human Elf Rogue Shaman
Hexproof
Invisible Shaman can’t be blocked.
{T}: Exile target land card from a graveyard. Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
{B}, {T}: Exile target instant or sorcery card from a graveyard. Each opponent loses 2 life.
{G}, {T}: Exile target creature card from a graveyard. You gain 2 life.
1/2

cycle of 5 + two extra. unearth costs would be relevant in an environment where artifacts can end up in the yard. hi secrets of the dead and burning vengeance
Spectral Tome {2}{W}
Artifact — Tome
Whenever Spectral Tome enters the battlefield or you cast a spell from your graveyard, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
Unearth {4}{W}

Arcane Tome {2}{U}
Artifact — Tome
Whenever Arcane Tome enters the battlefield or you cast a spell from your graveyard, draw a card.
Unearth {4}{U}

Gravedigger’s Tome {2}{B}
Artifact — Tome
Whenever Gravedigger’s Tome enters the battlefield or you cast a spell from your graveyard, you may return target creature card from a graveyard to its owner’s hand.
Unearth {4}{B}

Infernal Tome {2}{R}
Artifact — Tome
Whenever Infernal Tome enters the battlefield or you cast a spell from your graveyard, it deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Unearth {4}{R}

Loam Tome {2}{G}
Artifact — Tome
Whenever Loam Tome enters the battlefield or you cast a spell from your graveyard, return up to three land cards from your graveyard to your hand.
Unearth {4}{G}

Yavimaya Tome {1}{R}{G}
Artifact — Tome
Creatures you control have haste.
Whenever Yavimaya Tome enters the battlefield or you cast a spell from your graveyard, target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

Angry Librarian {1}{U}
Artifact Creature — Human Wizard
When Angry Librarian enters the battlefield, scry 2, then draw a card.
Angry Librarian gets +1/+1 for each Tome you control.
1/3

some more graveyard related experiments
Artificer’s Instincts {2}{W}
Instant
Reveal the top four cards of your library. Put an artifact card from among them into your hand and the rest into your graveyard.
Flashback {1}{U} (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

Cagewing {3}{U}
Artifact — Equipment
Living weapon
Equipped creature gets +3/+2 and flying.
As long as Cagewing is in your graveyard, creatures you control have flying.
Equip {3}{U}

Sudden Departure {U}
Instant
Each player returns a creature he or she controls to its owner’s hand.
Flashback {2}{W}

Delvedredge Dude {2}{G}{G}
Creature — Elf
Delve, Dredge 3
{W}, Sacrifice Delvedredge Dude: Each player gain 3 life.
3/2

Coldflame Phoenix {2}{U}{R}
Creature — Phoenix
Delve
Flying
Whenever you cast a spell from a graveyard, you may return Coldflame Phoenix from your graveyard to your hand.
3/1

edit: forgot this one

Arrows of Despair {3}{R}
Instant
Delve
Arrows of Despair deals 3 damage divided as you choose among up to three target creatures, players, and/or planeswalkers.
Flashback {9}{B}

I really wana do a spotlight on hate segment. Hopefully focusing on colour hate first but inevitably branching into how it hates or supports linear strategies in doing and the design of hate with those things in mind.

I'm also curious about the difference protection has between constructed and limited formats.

Firewing Guardian {3}{R}{W}
Creature — Angel Soldier
Flying, vigilance, haste
{2}{R}{W}: Target creature gains vigilance and haste until end of turn. Activate this ability only if Firewing Guardian is in your graveyard, and only once each turn.
4/4

Yeah, four mana is enough that I almost don't even read the haste part. You'd have to cast a creature *and* pay for the ability for that to be relevant, in two colors which don't ramp much. The ability seems bad.

That said, the *body* is pushed, so the ability is allowed to suck. I think this creature is one of those that gets misevaluated during spoiler season because people harp on how the activated ability is blah while not realizing that if this thing didn't have the ability it'd still be a high pick.

does the ability automatically have to be awesome? its a lategame mana sink if your playable creature died. it might seem bad but when you're in topdeck mode you'll be really glad its there

a cycle of 4 multicolor mana leaks
mana leak wu {W}{U}
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays {3}.
Your opponents can’t cast spells this turn.

mana leak ub {U}{B}
Instant
Fateseal 2

mana leak ur {U}{R}
Instant
Untap up to two lands.

mana leak gu {G}{U}
Instant
Scry 1

another counterspell, this is probably unfair and unfun but hm
Counterspell Flashback {W}{U}{B}
Instant
Counter target spell. You gain 2 life and each opponent loses 2 life.
Flashback—{W}{U}{B}, Discard a card.

more cubeable cabal therapy?
Psychosurgery {B}{R}
Sorcery
Name a nonland card. Each opponent reveals his or her hand and exiles all cards with that name and loses 3 life.
Flashback—Sacrifice a creature. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

some dudes
Cryptic Magehunter {W}{B}
Creature — Vampire Cleric
Lifelink, Protection from noncreature spells and permanents.
{U}: Cryptic Magehunter gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
2/2

UG 2 drop {G}{U}
Creature — Elemental
Protection from colorless
When ~ deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.
3/1

is too cheap?
Remnant Golem {2}
Artifact Creature — Golem
Delve (You may exile any number of cards in your graveyard as you cast this spell. It costs 1 less to cast for each card exiled this way.)
2/2

this is just silly and probably a dumb idea
Reality Elemental {2/W}{2/U}{2/B}{2/R}{2/G}
Creature — Elemental
Whenever Reality Elemental enters the battlefield or attacks, reveal the top card of your library. If you do, you may play that card without paying its mana cost.
Reality Elemental’s power and toughness are each equal to the number of permanents you control.
*/*