General Custom Cards: The Lab

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I was considering this guy for a while, but he might be a bit specific:
157.jpg

Is he good when bonded to non double strike creatures?

Lets talk raise dead. When do you want a raise dead? I can't imagine it's often worth a card or an actual slot in your deck. What could be attached to it to make it more interesting, what could we get away with adding? If what we want out of raise dead is kinda narrow, maybe we can trim down what she does to get room for a sweeter boon?

Also gravedigger, people love this guy in limited etc because lategame gravediggers feel like squadron hawks but better, he's a dude that could really use a new look but remains oddly untouched. I guess it's not an area people will complain about seeing as no one sees raise dead as a real constructed worthy effect but man is it ripe unexplored territory. Poor Sword of Light and Shadow right?

As a designing type guy I really like raise dead. Black's got a lot of room for tacking on added value to it's marginal spells and I think raise dead is one of the more interesting options. Imagine adding raise dead to a spell instead of say a cantrip. It's a real difference right? But it certainly encourages interesting deck construction, use of the combat step and adds a lot of unique play and flavor to a colour.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I love the raise dead rider idea, but I feel that a few things are holding it back:
1) You don't always have a creature :(
2) If the effect is on too many cards, you DEFFINITLY won't have a creature
3) This kind of effect is really only good for grindy creature based decks. That's probably fine, because damage riders are really only sweet for aggro and cantrips do definitely lean towards control decks. But be aware that both those archetypes are a bit more common than the grindy creature one.

I remember you suggesting a looting rider as well a while back, and I think they work well(ish) together. I'm not sure people will get behind the regular magic they like with also discarding a creature card and then later bringing it back.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Sign in Healing Salve{W}{B}
Instant
Target player draws two cards and gains 1 life.

Lucas proposed almost this exact same card a month or two ago, and we had a spirited debate about it over text message. My argument against it at the time was that even blue doesn't get instant speed two-card draw at {U}{U}, as far as I know. For life gain and instant speed, you've got to add a mana, at the very least - see Mind Spring vs. Sphinx's Revelation. It'd still be very, very good at {W}{B}{B}, I think!

it doesn't feel hybrid enough to me. white unconditional card draw? i don't know if i can get down with that

how about this
Divination of the White Orchid {2}{W}
Sorcery
If an opponent has more cards in hand than you, draw two cards.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work as hybrid by MTG design laws. Hybrids are the intersection of two colors and golds are the union.

They do both gain life, but you're probably right.
Though as always, deathrite is the exception that proves the rule (Black Birds of paradise)

They do both gain life, but you're probably right.
Though as always, deathrite is the exception that proves the rule (Black Birds of paradise)

DRS is pushed without a doubt, but rainbow mana in black isn't historically unheard of (Vesper Ghoul). It's even been done recently! (Gild)

It just usually is unreliably and/or costs something in return. Most common is life, but requiring there to be a land in the graveyard is still a cost. I mean, why else is it bannable in Modern, but doing nothing in Standard?

these were inspired by me misreading elfhame sanctuary

G Cardadv Engine #1 {1}{G}{G}
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may search your library for a basic land card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

G Cardadv Engine #2 {1}{G}
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top two cards of your library. You may put a land card from among them into your hand. Put the rest into your graveyard.

These are fascinating. I wonder if binning the top card only would would work for MK.II.
I like the idea of fading on these perhaps.
I wonder if this card was binning lots of cards if you could get away with it returning a land to your hand from the grave instead of selecting one of many.

I have a really dumb dream:

Perilous Depths
Land (U)
Perilous Depths enters the battlefield tapped
Perilous Depths contributes 1 to your blue or black devotion.
{T}: Add {U} or {B} to your mana pool.

Awe inspiring locales that make you think about gods etc. Anyway we could make the dumb devotion better worded or more conditional, but I've been looking at this and considering how much more I would like BTT if there was a little better fixing and I came up with a unique uncommon fixer.

As long as your devotion to blue or black is at least 1, [name] adds 1 devotion?

Gotta have some worshipers to be worshiped.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Perilous Depths
Land (U)

Don't they already have a super-clunky, Shatterable version of this.. with TWO devotion!

I have a really dumb dream:

Perilous Depths
Land (U)

Awe inspiring locales that make you think about gods etc. Anyway we could make the dumb devotion better worded or more conditional, but I've been looking at this and considering how much more I would like BTT if there was a little better fixing and I came up with a unique uncommon fixer.
holy shit holy shit i had this idea the other day and i forgot to post it except mine was like

land name
land
~ contributes 2 to your black devotion.
{T}: add {1}

no fanks it's totes important that it make more than one type of mana because life sucks in cube for colourless lands annnnnnnnnnnd life sucks in theros for relying on playing two colours pretty evenly or splashing.

Great idea though. I think it's probably a little too strong adding 2. Like, thats a big swing, people would be playing demolish lol.