General Custom Cards: The Lab

dont print this
Spreading Seize {U}{B}
Enchantment
Enchant land
When Spreading Seize enters the battlefield, target player reveals his or her hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card. You lose 2 life.
Enchanted land is an Island.

Flashifism {1}{W}
Enchantment — Aura
Flash
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature can’t attack or block.

Another Dangerous Idea {1}{U}
Enchantment Creature — Spirit
Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, untap target permanent.
2/1

Some Really Bad Luck {2}{B}{B}
Sorcery
All creatures get -13/-13 until end of turn.

Fight Tongue Kavu {3}{R/G}
Creature — Kavu
When Fight Tongue Kavu enters the battlefield, you may have it fight target creature.
4/2

Flashifism should cost more than pacifism; probably 2W, maybe 1WW?

Fight kavu is bad as it'll die, but is probably too good to cost 2{R/G}. That said, boon satyr is a 1GG 4/2, so maybe 1{R/G}{R/G}, listed effect?

are there any spells that'd be any good at a cost like {1}{U/P}{U}, or something interesting like that? ie: can't put them in any deck due to the C in the cost, but can be splashed more easily, or gotten value out of if your mana is bad (i realise this is useless to most people here because everyone's fixing is so good).

aside: does {U/P} count towards your blue devotion? I assume yes?

is pacifism a card anyone actually plays outside of the wotc limited formats

fight kavu probably is bad, but can be mono-green creature removal that very rarely will have a dude attached. i left off the "may" though on accident, i wanted it to be castable without the fight. edited

are there any spells that'd be any good at a cost like {1}{U/P}{U}, or something interesting like that? ie: can't put them in any deck due to the C in the cost, but can be splashed more easily, or gotten value out of if your mana is bad (i realise this is useless to most people here because everyone's fixing is so good).

aside: does {U/P} count towards your blue devotion? I assume yes?
yes it does count

what about divination for {U/P}{U}{U}? its kind of encroaching on sign in blood though, but very rarely sign works as a burn spell. at that rate, perhaps divination for {U/P}{U/B}{U/B}. What about Counterspell at {U/P}{U}{U}? that's the one i've thought of before
i actually like this solution a lot lot more than any existing phyrexian stuff. pretty much the only phyrexian cards i like are moltensteel dragon (which requires too much life to be usable outside of red also its not a great card), and birthing pod (which will cost you too much life outside of green). I guess I'm okay with phyrexian metamorph too but that honestly feels like something a colorless artifact can do already, look at mimic vat

Pacifism is at the power level I'd want to peg things to, so, me? I recognise I am in the minority at that power level desire.
that's fine i guess. I'm just comparing it to every other 2 mana removal spell ever and it doesn't even remove abilities... idk pacifism doesn't do enough for me. i think the biggest reason they've never printed the card I described is that new players won't understand you have to play it precombat to prevent attacking that turn.

actually, {U/P}{U/B} seems like a spicy casting cost for... something. Like, blue pays UU, and blacks like fuck you mana, B and two life bitches.

I appear to be using the word fuck excessively recently, I should destress.

Lucre gave me this idea, his was {4}{W}{B} for vindicate + nature's spiral
Obzedat’s Vindicaid {2}{W}{B}
Sorcery
Choose one — Destroy target permanent; or return target permanent card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Entwine {2} (Choose both if you pay the entwine cost.)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Temporal Isolation already exists, and kind of does what you're proposing. But your variant is mostly just cleaner. I like it!

Counterspell / Cancel at {U/P}{U}{U} is something I'd dig.

And yeah, why is your Fight Kavu so bad :( Seems like it'd be way better as a 2/4 (but then it doesn't mirror its daddy)

Well isolation still allows 'when this attacks' triggers, and also allows blocking shadow creatures which was actually meaningful in the environment. I could see isolationing your own dude in some circumstances.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Pacifism is a card you should be playing with in your cubes, though most people run journey to nowhere, it's modern counterpart.
giving it flash does make it really good.

Also bob, the only reason to isloation your own dude is to do so before blockers, and remove the enchantment before damage. Flahsing your own guy prevents the damage, so if you're doing it to block, isolation their guy instead

Fight Kavu could be a 4/3 so it doesn't always just die when it comes into play.
Really Bad Luck would probably just be Damnation with an occasional weird power-matters interaction.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Journey to Nowhere is miles better than Pacifism, though. They don't get access to the static nor activated abilities of the creature; they can't bounce the creature to have the removal fall off; you don't have to name the target as you cast Journey. To me, they're not even on the same plane. I recently removed Journey from my own cube for power level concerns, while Pacifism doesn't quite come close to clearing the bar.

Temporal Isolation is right around the power level of where I want my white removal to be, and I could see myself playing anotak's version, too.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
journey is where wotc wants it because if you "remove" elesh norn but your guys still die, noobs get sad and quit
also Eric: but pacifism is a sorcery! we love sorceries :p
team volcanic hammer

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Nah, I think they've been backing away from both Journey to Nowhere and Elesh Norn as bellwethers of power. We're now three blocks removed from Scars, and the power level has been trending down bit by bit over time. Heck, Scars and Zendikar were themselves a step down from Alara - save for a few notable banned cards - which in turn was a far cry from Lorwyn. It's all downhill from here, folks.

But yeah, Team Sorcery rules.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Okay, maybe pacifism on elesh norn is a bit extreme, but what about on a tapper? Same feel bad

Theros is a bit of an exception because it's all about building a bigger boat, so removal has to be real bad to conduct that kind of environment. I think in most envionrments, Sip of Hemlock would cost 5, and it wouldn't see constructed play unless it cost like 3

are y'all forgetting that fight kavu is monogreen deal 4 damage to target creature which is something that green just doesnt get

So you'd rather it be Bala Ged Scorpion or expensive Flame Slash? Green gets fighting, and I see "ETB fight" that can be played in either color.It's pushed, but definitely within Green's side of the pie.

Other ideas to make it more fair/less pushed without just leaving it to die...
3cc 3/2
5cc 4/3 (or still 4/2)
4cc 3/3
Or 4/2, "ETB target you control fights target"? Kinda like Gruul Ragebeast and Tracker.

5-cost might be the call if you keep this design.

Got some ideas while brewing for the new format. I haven't forgotten about you guys, would live your ear when I can post them.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Errr....what for?
Like yeah, hit random a few times on gather white cards and you'll probably get a good white walker, but it won't exactly have much synergy

What's your aim?

Errr....what for?
Like yeah, hit random a few times on gather white cards and you'll probably get a good white walker, but it won't exactly have much synergy

What's your aim?
just something that's more interesting than ajani 1 or 3 but doesn't just take over the game like the elspeths. well idk about elspeth 2 but i don't like how that card looks.