Sets [KTK] Khans of Tarkir Spoilers

I remember the hindu serpent goddess was for the most part anthropomorphic, but the Naga, would often be depicted as serpents with the faces of a man or woman. Of course there have been instances of men with the faces of serpents and all variety of combinations but I'm most familiar with them as intelligent magical snakes with people heads. Sometimes with lots of heads. I was also pretty sure they were a part of south eastern asian traditions like laos and thailand etc.

I became familiar with them through dungeons and dragons, where they were some of the more interesting villians you could use that weren't already carrying a lot of baggage. I do love the idea of them being dark gods of some decadent variety of aztec but this mill yourself to put zombies into play business makes them feel like every other failed villainous intelligences in magic. I really have no idea why they have to be naga and not simply snake people like the sakura tribe or coiling oracle (yes I know it was a mutant) before them. They seem to have no issue making leonin simply cats for flavor and gameplay sake, do they need to start splitting hairs now?

From the first edition monster manual: A Naga
D%26DNaga.JPG

Later D&D depictions
44198_C5_Ha-Naga.jpg

The instant vindicate seems fine, if a little dry and lacking in taste. Because it cannot hit lands I am doubly disappointed. What are it's major advantages against oblivion ring? Less susceptibility to cards like itself? Instant speed? What are it's major disadvantages? It trades equally or to advantage with a far smaller population of constructed cards and is a multicolour black spell further limiting it's use. I feel like this card was the victim of overeager editors. Where is my faith's fetters?

God I love it when threads take weird tuns like this. What game is that CML? I'm pretty sure I'm old enough to have played it though I'm drawing a blank right now.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
That’s ok, I rented it from blockbuster (that’s right, block buster), immediately decided that FF6 was better, and didn't get past the first hour of gameplay.

I played it many years later and learned to appreciate it more.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I've never voiced this opinion, but I played Chrono Trigger about 5 years ago after hearing it pop up in countless "best game ever" discussions. I didn't think it was that stellar. Did I need to play it during my SNES days?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
With all of those games, you kind of need to have played it during the actual era i.m.o.

I mean, its just not reasonable to expect a 20 something or 30 something to be blown away by the type of stories they were telling on a 16 bit video game platform marketed to kids.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I dunno. I played it the year it came out - I still have my boxed copy stashed somewhere in my parents' basement, it must be worth something! - and felt that FF6 was way better, too.

I guess for context, FF6 is one of my favourite games of all time, while I think that Chrono Trigger is merely among the top five RPGs for the SNES. I like FF4 better than Chrono Trigger, too, even if I'm not sure it holds up so well today.

chrono trigger is widely regarded as a huge classic

i personally don't like it because i don't like that whole subgenre but i see why it is considered such

I hate jrpgs, but chrono trigger is one of the most fun games I've played. The music is outstanding. Akira Toriyama's designs are unforgettable. Boss fights are rewarding and the story is awesome in a Timmy kind of way that isn't too childish or needlessly complex. Combat system still holds up even if it isn't mind blowing. I'd say it might even be one of my favorite games of all time.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Chrono Trigger belongs to the category of Games that were awesome when I was 14, but if I play them today I can only vaguely understand why I liked them.

With all of those games, you kind of need to have played it during the actual era i.m.o.

I mean, its just not reasonable to expect a 20 something or 30 something to be blown away by the type of stories they were telling on a 16 bit video game platform marketed to kids.

I agree with this. I never played the original KOTOR and I tried playing it a couple years back on several recommendations. The turn based combat system (masquerading as live action) sucks really badly. So even if the story is awesome (which it was), the gameplay I found lacking to the point where I didn't even finish the game (though I did get pretty far).

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Generally, I find that video games don't age particularly well, so its more a question of which one can hold my attention the best. Thats usually something like ff6, ff7, ff9, KOTOR, or KOTOR 2. I can just sort of zone out and enjoy the music or storyline. Sometimes I just want a semi-interactive movie, and those do a pretty good job.

I think ME2 was really well made, never played ME3, but ME1 I dislike because of the side quests.

For me, Dragon Age Origins was a homerun. Probably my favorite RPG of all time. DA2 was a let down for me, but not as bad as most made it out to be. Historically, I was a huge Zelda fan. Ocarina of Time I've passed more than once.

I'm not huge into sci-fi video games strangely enough, so I just could never get into the Mass Effect games. I've tried a couple times now. As far as shooter type games go, Resident Evil 4 totally captivated me and I passed that one more than once too.

Video games tend to not hold my interest for long, so I do not finish many of the ones I start. This trend has only gotten worse as I've gotten older since I now have less time for this sort of thing so I value my free time much more highly now. I simply can't be bothered with bad game mechanics, boring cliche story lines, or time sink nonsense like MMO's (although The Secret World and GW2 were both pretty fun and never felt tedious while I played them).

I've generally preferred play games with actual people, which is why I tend to come back to table top RPG's and MTG. I enjoy the social component the most I think.

I think the number of games that age poorly is lower than some might think. I didn't even grow up with most of the snes games that I now love dearly.

It's a fool's mistake to ever say super metroid is bad or outdated. Game's a masterpiece.