Sets [KTK] Khans of Tarkir Spoilers

I like some of what JRPGs do because they have a lot of the qualities of isometric RPGs, which I really love. I find they are often pretty unfair though. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to saveload my way through battles I was absolutely not supposed to win thinking the whole time that my team was completely missbuilt.
Inxile and Obsidian have had great success with kickstarter recently. Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2 having raised several million dollars are both now in beta and a NEW FREAKING TORMENT GAME is in the works.

Diablo 3 and Eternity and Torchlight are proving there is still a market for Isometric Action RPGs.

And now smaller studios are throwing their hats into the ring like Studio MONO's Insomnia, which is frankly the game I'm most excited about since hearing about Star Citizen.

I understand they've come a long way since the kickstarter too, and it was already looking scary sharp. Why doesn't magic have atmosphere like any of these games? It certainly used to. Do you think it's fair to say vintage magic is to modern flavor what Arcanum is to WOW?

CML

Contributor
Starcraft would stand the test much better if the graphics weren't an eyesore (sorry, nostalgia fiends) and the controls weren't terribly unwieldy.

lol who cares come on

serious reply: the controls were unwieldy but it is possible sc2's unlimited selection was part of its being not as great. as a game designer i would find this stupid, but, you know

It's all mythology and golden years CML. I'm not convinced it made it better, just more easily storied and less accessible

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I consider Starcraft 2 to be a considerable improvement, but there are those that consider that to be sacrilegious. As for "who cares", I, as a player, care. That should count for something.

Well here's a weird fucking card
raidersspoils.jpg

#uncommonanthem

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I really liked Frank Karsten's analysis of prowess, found in this article.

Exerts below

Prowess is similar to heroic, but different. Compared to heroic, the main downside is that you only get a +1/+1 boost for a turn, not a +1/+1 counter. But there are also upsides: you are not limited to spells that merely target your own creatures, and any single spell can pump multiple prowess creatures.
The main thing is that prowess works well with noncreature spells like Thoughtseize, Lightning Strike, Banishing Light, Hero's Downfall, and Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver. This enables richer deck building options than with heroic creatures. Card draw spells work well with prowess, too. I would have loved to combine Jeskai Elder with Preordain or Brainstorm, but in Standard we unfortunately have to make do with Dragon Mantle, Stratus Walk, Sign in Blood, and Divination. Stratus Walk is actually kind of sweet on Jeskai Elder.

The other good news is that prowess is triggered by bestow. Following up a turn-two Jeskai Elderwith a turn-three Mogis's Warhound results in a decently-sized creature that can bash throughCourser of Kruphix. Add Herald of Torment, and you have assembled a formidable evasive threat. And remember: every time it connects, you get to loot and improve your hand, fueling the flow of non-creature spells.

Another nice aspect of prowess is the bluffing value. Suppose you are on the play and have played a turn-two Jeskai Elder. Your opponent, in the meantime, has had a powerful start with Elvish Mystic on turn one and Sylvan Caryatid plus Elvish Mystic on turn two. You then attack with your 1/2 into his 0/3. What is your opponent supposed to do here? If he blocks, then you might have two instant-speed removal spells for both of his Elvish Mystics, triggering prowess twice, and taking down the Sylvan Caryatid for free. But he doesn't block, then you get a free hit. It's a tough call.

Fun stuff. Also neat how they are bleeding the shards together.

CML

Contributor
I consider Starcraft 2 to be a considerable improvement, but there are those that consider that to be sacrilegious. As for "who cares", I, as a player, care. That should count for something.

just player bias, what with how SC1 has lived and evolved for longer than SC2 will (in all likelihood). that's fine, it doesn't mean much about the game as i see it.

this egalitarian pretense is silly when we as magic players indulge in justifiable snobbery all the time. like i am a bad smash player and i am fully aware this is why i prefer brawl to melee, i realize my opinion is at once meritorious and means little about the quality of either iteration when i take a step back

Planeswalker clone had to happen eventually, but I especially don't like that it's so versatile. May lead to cool gamestates and complex plays but its raw power level being held back only by randomly being awful / dead is not a fun card IMO. I dread good clones.

Gameday promos are kind of a toss-up. There have been plenty of both great and awful. I don't hate the guy, though. Deathtouch is great.

I have accepted that I am the only person who hates clones.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Gameday promos are kind of a toss-up. There have been plenty of both great and awful. I don't hate the guy, though. Deathtouch is great.

I have accepted that I am the only person who hates clones.

I would consider myself extremely apathetic towards them. Maybe slightly negative. Hate is too strong for what I feel.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not big on clones, either, except maybe for the actual OG Clone. They sometimes create fun gameplay puzzles to solve, but just as often they punish a green player for going over the top, with very little effort. They're also pretty bad against the Goblin Guide or Champion of the Parish decks.

Yeah I'm more into clones if I know my deck is good at making use of them already (Thragtusk, witness etc) but I hate the ones that only hit your own guys because I feel like I'm going out on a limb.

I'm pretty sure I've image'd a goblin guide with the express purpose of blocking goblin guide before lol. If it ate the bolt or magma jet I was not so worried.