General CBS

Lorwyn-Shards was such an amazing standard format and holds a special place in my heart. The 5cc deck was just so much fun to play. Every single game presented you with tons of options and the deck was perfect for metagame customization. Those were the days...

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, Lorwyn Standard was an amazing format. Holy crap. I played Standard for several years afterwards, but none could recapture the magic of that era.

Other than Kithkin, I mostly played decks off the beaten path, so I only ever encountered Faeries and 5cc, but never from the pilot's seat. The thing about that format was that there were an unprecedented number of viable tier 2 and tier 3 decks, that, while clearly a rung below the best decks, both carried a high power level and were incredibly fun to play. I think the main advantage of the larger set sizes of that era is that it gave Wizards room to cram in plenty of weird, esoteric cards into Lorwyn block - Reveillark, Leaf-Crowned Elder, and Mirrorweave, to name a few - hidden gems that an intrepid deckbuilder could dig up and build an entire deck around.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Geeeeeez that brings back a wave of nostalgia. I tried so hard to make Violent Ultimatum work, and while it was ultimately futile, it was fun as all heck.

This was my favourite deck to play. I was too cheap to afford Reflecting Pools, otherwise I would've ran those in place of the Exotic Orchards and probably two Vivid Crags.

Shenanigans

Creatures (35)
Flamekin Harbinger
Bloom Tender
Smokebraider
Fulminator Mage
Incandescent Soulstoke
Nova Chaser
Horde of Notions
Mulldrifter
Reveillark
Shriekmaw
Cloudthresher

Spells (2)
Nameless Inversion
Crib Swap

Lands (23)
Ancient Ziggurat
Exotic Orchard
Primal Beyond
Vivid Crag
Vivid Grove
Forest
Island
Mountain
Plains

Dom Harvey

Contributor
oh man, Mirrorweave

evoke Cloudthresher midcombat to kill my Spectral Processions tokens, you say?

NOT SO FAST

ETA: I loved that deck Eric, chaining Reveillarks with Flamekin Harbinger was so fun

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Horde of Notions was pretty filthy too. Evoke this Mulldrifter, tap Bloom Tender to recast it from the yard...

Since we're all reminiscing, this was my favourite deck before I discovered elementals, the one that got me back into Magic after a decade away. "What do you mean, green creatures are good now? That's not possible!"

Big Angry Treefolk

Creatures (30)
Llanowar Elves
Treefolk Harbinger
Bosk Banneret
Kitchen Finks
Chameleon Colossus
Dauntless Dourbark
Leaf-Crowned Elder
Timber Protector

Spells (6)
Lignify
Rampant Growth
Rootgrapple

Artifacts (2)
Loxodon Warhammer

Land (22)
18 Forest
Mosswort Bridge

It got a lot worse after Path to Exile was printed in Conflux, but it was great for the first few months of the season. Well, maybe "great" is an overstatement. It was more a giant ball of Timmy overkill that either lost huge or won huge.

I was too cheap to afford Reflecting Pools, otherwise I would've ran those in place of the Exotic Orchards and probably two Vivid Crags.
And now we're back to the part of the show where any form of Constructed where you're not allowed a few proxies is utter shit. I heard of this great new thing though, it's called a Draft Cube and it makes the game fun again!
It got a lot worse after Path to Exile was printed in Conflux
Wow, you linked Path for us.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I was in the middle of drafting this BEAUTIFUL thing, and then some wanker went afk during the draft!
I was so fuckin jazzed for this. Just look at my first 8 cards they are so godly.

I'm sure I'll never draft that Karn again in my lifetime, especially not irl.

If you're a fan of Lorwynn flavor, something snack related. You give someone magic snacks / you are a magic snack and they get bigger! There's a lotta pies in LRW block, and a lotta people-eates and cannibals in shadowmoor.

Otherwise, the standard "I'm a big powerful man with a very serious face, here's some weapons and loud battle yells and face stubble for you to derive totally throbbing serious manliness from" works in every set ever. Just graft mighty chins and prominent jawbrows onto heirs.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
If you're a fan of Lorwynn flavor, something snack related. You give someone magic snacks / you are a magic snack and they get bigger! There's a lotta pies in LRW block, and a lotta people-eates and cannibals in shadowmoor.

Otherwise, the standard "I'm a big powerful man with a very serious face, here's some weapons and loud battle yells and face stubble for you to derive totally throbbing serious manliness from" works in every set ever. Just graft mighty chins and prominent jawbrows onto heirs.

thepunchlineismachismo.com

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Tassigur is a sweet Modern card. I'm liking Caleb D's BUG Modern list. If I put together a deck these days it'd be that one.