GBS

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
How cool is it when you upgrade to Windows 10 and see this beautiful and vaguely familiar beach on the lock screen, only to find you've actually been there yourself, even though it is in a super remote spot of the earth?

Windows lock screen:
Windows-10-lock-screen.jpg

My 2011 photo album:
P1040001.jpg

The spot:
https://goo.gl/maps/FbnFLdiCFBz

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Jesus what a beautiful place

Yes, it's probably the most beautiful place I ever visited. Me and my wife were there for a couple of hours, saw only four or five other people. There was a constant wind blowing fine sand over the beach, erasing all footsteps. It was as if we were the first to set foot there, just us, a pristine beach, and these wonderful rock formations.

I'ld recommend you to travel there, but it's probably a tourist trap by now >_> New Zealand is gorgeous though, most amazing trip ever.

My MtG friends and I rent out a large house twice a year for a weekend, where we play Magic, other board games, drink heavily, and cook huge meals. There's usually about 12-15 of us. We've been doing it for several years now, and have dubbed it "Weekend of Destruction" (aka WOD). We're having our next one in about a month at a house on Cape Cod.

I'm posting this because we've had a long email chain going, trying to come up with a unique limited format (with real packs) that would allow us to incorporate some old nostalgic packs. For example, a few of us love Invasion, but not quite enough people are interested to fire a large-enough draft. We will also be doing a wacky draft, but we want something more concise and organized. Anyone have any ideas?

Truthfully, I also posted this because I wanted to share my friend's format idea that he sent us today.
I have a good idea.

What if we did an elephant walk draft. Each person holds the penis of the person to their left. You open a pack, pick a card (one handed), put the rest of the cards down and then elephant march (neighbors dick in hand) around the table (clockwise), over to the next pack. At any time, someone can make a trumpet noise and pretend to be the bull elephant and break the chain and try to trample over everyone else, so you make sure to hold on tight (this has no effect on the draft, some elephants are just mean). Once the draft is over, you just build your deck like normal (two handed). The only catch is when one of your creatures dies, you have to mourn excessively (like real elephants).

This would work with any set, but it's probably best to do something like underpowered in case there are lots of bull elephants stomping around. wouldn't want a dual land to get trampled, lol.

Aoret

Developer
If you guys plan to hang out besides just doing GP Van, I do have a friend in the city who I've been meaning to visit. I'd consider making the trip up if we made this sort of a thing.

Aoret

Developer
safra care to chime in on what fun touristy stuff is worth doing?

Dom what do your travel plans look like (how long can/will you stay etc)?

Anybody else live in the area or thinking of going?

Aoret

Developer
Thanks Ferret. I was more looking for things that aren't Magic if I'm gonna go to the trouble of visiting another country. My hope would be to maybe jam some cube games with riptide folk, but otherwise I'd rather be... I dunno, hiking or looking at cool shit in the city or something. What does Vancouver have to offer that would make for a unique experience? (I trust locals for stuff like this way more than googling for tourist traps)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Thanks Ferret. I was more looking for things that aren't Magic if I'm gonna go to the trouble of visiting another country. My hope would be to maybe jam some cube games with riptide folk, but otherwise I'd rather be... I dunno, hiking or looking at cool shit in the city or something. What does Vancouver have to offer that would make for a unique experience? (I trust locals for stuff like this way more than googling for tourist traps)

http://www.ytravelblog.com/best-of-vancouver-what-to-do-in-vancouver/
http://travelingcanucks.com/2011/02/things-to-do-in-vancouver/

Dunno, maybe this is nice?

Pizza is not the thing to eat, sushi and donair are. I rep my city, dog, idk about you.

Cool things tend to happen on an invitational and ad hoc basis - while there's definitely public spaces you might prefer to be (in someone's) home instead, the straight clubs suck unless you're really into either BDSM or (and) coke, and the people are cold and alienating, allegedly. Views are great though, make sure to visit Sun Yat-sen Memorial Gardens, eat as much sushi as possible (it's fast food here), and go to Stanley Park if the weather's nice. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to play tour guide in late January but I'm happy to lead a small party of bon vivants.

The Storm Crow is our version of the bar that has a shelf of boardgames; you can buy mixed drinks with terrible nerd names, and they show Game of Thrones on the tvs instead of hockey games. Decent place to be a nerd among nerds. If you wanna drink, go to St Aug's or the Alibi Room.

Wreck Beach is the only nudist beach in BC but you don't actually need to visit, it's annoying to get to. Because of this it's one of the nicer beaches, though.

The $3 breakfast special at Bon's is An Experience (go early for brunch and also get a pitcher of Granville Island Winter Ale). Bon's Off Broadway is an institution, with portions and prices to match. You'll drink like ten incredibly tiny cups of coffee

Coffee - we don't have a lot of worldclass coffee but there are a few places worth detouring for. Cafe Prado on Commercial is my favorite.

Also a friend of mine works at the cat cafe that just opened recently so I'll probably drag people there, I think there'll be an event at the Cobalt that Tuesday where you can drink wine and make a painting, and we have an okay cinema culture. Vancouver is dope.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
that all sounds great, especially the CAT CAFE OMG

I fly in on Wed 27 Jan and out on Mon 1 Feb, with the GP on Saturday (and hopefully most of Sunday!)

Trying to make a regex that matches files which end in .jpg, but which do NOT end in .full.jpg

These did not work:

(?<!full)\.jpg
(?<!full\.)\.jpg

Suggestions?