General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I say 4. It might be more. I'm just looking at Battle Mastery. Battle Mastery is not cubable though, really, it also doesn't give +1/+1 and doesn't turn into a creature when you lose it. On the other hand this feels a little similar to Angelic Destiny, so I think 4 is right. It would be neat to have bestow be 2WW, making this kind of double colored

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
2R to give a creature +1/+1 and double strike (while leaving a creature behind) feels overpowered, and also detracts from the tension between normal-casting and bestow-casting.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah Lucas wants him to cost {2}{R} to cast, which IMO kinda defeats the point of the creature :p
I'm not really looking to have off colored bestow costs....hmmm that could be cool...

IroanBlademaster-1.jpg

Edit: Yay! I got to use the ginger samurai art! :D
Edit 2: That's not how bestow is worded...

Lol tension. I think I would always play it as a creature if I needed a two drop and it wasn't already outclassed on the board considering what was in my hand and always bestow it in any other situation.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Is there a compelling design reason to go off-color?

There might be, but I think it opens up some interesting space.

This could be played in a deck with 0 mountains, for eg.
Also it keeps both the bestow and mana costs low if I can't gaurentee a given deck can cast both halves of the card. Were the whole card red the bestow cost might have to go to {3}{R}{R} or {1}{R}{R}{R} for safety reasons, which would probably make it horrible.

Lol tension. I think I would always play it as a creature if I needed a two drop and it wasn't already outclassed on the board considering what was in my hand and always bestow it in any other situation.

So, like any other bestow card? :p

It's actually kinda interesting the mechanical space theros creates using these two mechanics. Bestow incentivises you to cast the creatures early only if you have to, with the promise of extreme value later on. Monstrosity says to cast all the creatures super early, because no matter what happens you'll have some value later on.

Sometimes I don't give WotC enough credit :p

I don't think monster works as well as everyone hoped. I guess it probz does in some decks. I get the feeling they suddenly switched a bunch of removal spells from instant to sorcery to compensate for problems incentivizing spending 6-8 mana on an ability that was reliant on counters landing.

But yeah, I love spells that feel like the have a lot of play to them and especially ones that pose tough decisions on board and in deck building. I thought GTC draft's weird timing and phasing emphasis was pretty cool but sorta largely ignored because of how aggressive the format could be.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I don't think monster works as well as everyone hoped. I guess it probz does in some decks. I get the feeling they suddenly switched a bunch of removal spells from instant to sorcery to compensate for problems incentivizing spending 6-8 mana on an ability that was reliant on counters landing.

But yeah, I love spells that feel like the have a lot of play to them and especially ones that pose tough decisions on board and in deck building. I thought GTC draft's weird timing and phasing emphasis was pretty cool but sorta largely ignored because of how aggressive the format could be.

In a traditional cube enviornment, no, monstrosity doesn't work at all, the same way Auras don't work. No reason to sink a pile of mana into a creature if there's a 100% chance it'll get pathed.

If you switch to sorcery removal, don't add so much, there might be a reason. I think most of us are under the impression creatures lives are worth more than that, so it might be better.

The other thing is that most of the creatures are balanced for traditional limited, and those that aren't are kinda.... things that we don't like.

Fleecemane Lion being the main offender.

I keep thinking it would be a really good idea to get gucci mane to sign a foil fleece mane by crossing the name out but then I realize I have no idea how to get a hold of gucci mane.

Guys I had another really awful idea:

Queen's Indulgence {1}{U}
Instant (U)
Put a 1/1 blue Faerie creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
Draw a card.
"Deals with the fae folk often come with more than you bargained for."

So like it's just a cute clunky cantrip that also counts as a creature for pressure reasons but a spell for UR deck reasons.

On that subject, boy would I love a raise the alarm type spell that scry'd. I really love white token generating instants + delver and I really love anything that lets white have a little meager control over it's hand.

Yeah this isn't reusable as nicely or eaay to muck about with annnnnnnnd it's blue do its allowed to be better than a stupid green spell.