General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

Hmmm maybe take a page from the Custom Cube Project?

Shudder 3RR
Sorcery
Target player sacrifices 2 lands
Disrupt 3 (any player can discard 3 cards from his or her hand to counter this spell.)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
My problem with Plow Under and its ilk is that the card produced bad games of Magic. It either ended things in short order or did very little. Design-wise I consider Primal Command to be strictly superior.

Yeah I tend to like modular spells a lot more, my first thoughts on shudder had it cycling. I just like fun police cards and cards that give red and green decks curious areas to excel in. It's the tempo aspect of land destruction that really interests me (it's a funny wager) and I also like that it changes the value of lands you see and raw card generation. We've seen green getting extra lands or lands tacked onto other spells for a long time and the value of those extra cards has always been something I was excited to experiment with.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Oh I thought shudder was "each player" a la wildfire.
Has anyone tried tectonic break

I've messed with tectonic break in the past along with bend or break, impending disaster, boom // bust, Scorched Earth and mana barbs as pseudo-Armageddon effects for red. Each of these cards much bigger weaknesses then armageddon (not shocking) that make their inclusion tricky.

With Tectonic Break, the card cast at x=2 could still win the game in decks that really need to hit 5+ mana, but was often completely dead against any deck that didn't need to in a way Armageddon never is. X=1 is a really bad stone rain, but sometimes that's all you need. It also had a niche in red/green ramp decks, but overall I didn't like it very much. Red 4cc is one of the uber-slots where I always have 5+ awesome cards that I'm not running (but want to!) and while Tectonic Break can be cast for more or less this flexibility is often an illusion. If an aggro deck draws 6 lands and tec break, they weren't winning anyway. Overall it's playable, but I don't recommend it.

Rob Dennis

Developer
The first thing I'm going to custom out I think is the enemy color man-lands
This is a pretty interesting take, but as is, the one I really like in my list is W/B and maybe R/W.

so far the U/R one is the only on I had an idea for, and basically a take on Kiln Fiend
something like {U}{R} to get a 1/2 with the +3/0 trigger

Anyone else doing enemy colored manlands, or other sources of inspiration?

edit, didn't see CML's until now:
http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads...o-i-can-put-it-in-my-cube.71/page-4#post-3074

I had a set made but I can't seem to dig them up. I think one of the things people don't even ask themselves about designing these is "do I want tectonic edge to matter?" Clearly the worldwake manlands all had a minimum 3-cmc activation so if they could activate tec edge could kill them.

Does that matter? Probably not in cube, but it's interesting to consider as both a power level minimum and a step farther away from mutavault and its ilk. On the power level note the worldwake lands could be so much better on some levels (trample on ravine, etc.) so it's probably best to er on the side of "meh" *cough*stirring wildwood*cough* than "how do I win against that" when it comes to these. The originals also don't do anything but damage; none have spells attached to them. Breaking that rule would have to be to push an archetype or something, I disapprove of ophidian land.

It's easy to slap familiar keywords/abilities onto them but I think that's a bit boring. In smaller cubes (360) it would be interesting to tailor them to specific archetypes' needs (like your kiln fiend land); interesting mechanics that just don't have many/any good cards. It's also about having something other lands don't offer. For instance, battlecry seems great for the RW land, but is it worth using up that design spot for a 2-color, arguably worse contested war zone? Not to me.

I think my UG land was something like:
2UG: 2/2 beginning of end step put a 1/1 counter on it.

Same activation cost as raging ravine, starts smaller because you don't have to do anything to get the bonus, triggers stack like raging ravine's (right?), allows value when your opponent won't give you an opportunity to use counterspells. Maybe should be 3UG because it can activate itself and still get its counter while tapped.

The first thing I'm going to custom out I think is the enemy color man-lands
This is a pretty interesting take, but as is, the one I really like in my list is W/B and maybe R/W.

so far the U/R one is the only on I had an idea for, and basically a take on Kiln Fiend
something like {U}{R} to get a 1/2 with the +3/0 trigger

edit, didn't see CML's until now:
http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads...o-i-can-put-it-in-my-cube.71/page-4#post-3074

UR is a place I want to help but have a hard time picking a direction. How has your slightly better kiln fiend treated you?
Something about UR feels like it's missing a backbone, but then I imagine I might be thinking about it the wrong way. A lot of my designs are venser style creatures. Something between venser and avalanche riders you know? Maybe weenies and spell gimmicks are the better direction. I don't know

Rob Dennis

Developer
UR is a place I want to help but have a hard time picking a direction. How has your slightly better kiln fiend treated you?
Something about UR feels like it's missing a backbone, but then I imagine I might be thinking about it the wrong way. A lot of my designs are venser style creatures. Something between venser and avalanche riders you know? Maybe weenies and spell gimmicks are the better direction. I don't know

purely theoretical right now, I don't get nearly the reps I'd like :(

Some awful ideas, as always I would love your insights:

Look to the Past {1}{G}
Sorcery (U)
Draw a card then put target card in your graveyard on top of your library.

Wild Weird {2}{U}{R}
Creature - Elemental Weird (R)
Haste
When Wild Weird enters that there battlefield return target artifact or land to it's owners hand.
3/3

(imagine a hybrid cost one without haste maybe?)

Jungle Bug {2}{U}{G}
Creature - Insect
Flash, flying
When Jungle Bug enters the battlefield draw a card
3/3

Boulder Beetle {2}{U}{G}
Creature - Insect
Flash, flying
4/4

Big Bug {1}{U}{G}
Creature - Insect
Flash, Flying
3/3

(Could probz all be faeries or some other more cute type)

Beckoning Apparition {W}
Creature - Spirit
Flying
If you payed it's kicker cost, when Beckoning Apparition enters the battlefield remove target creature from the game.
Kicker {3}{W}
1/1

(imagine similar junk to be used with ranger of eos etc. I could even rig it up to work better with revelark / blink etc)

imo look to the past should be 'may put target' otherwise its just feels so bad sometimes. unless you're okay with that.

I made these for CML, though he didn't end up using them. Please help yourself:
DarkHeartoftheForest-1.jpg
ShrinetotheWarfather-1.jpg
LushFalls.jpg
SeatoftheJudges-1.jpg
LifeshapersRefuge-1.jpg

finally got around to using these today, people were very happy. thank you!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Always glad to help :D
Manafixing is fun to design. All the work of one card, but you get to find pretty pictures for 10 whole cards. (5 if you're a wuss)

As much as I love the Simic cards, I like my gold cards in cube to be doing a bit more splashy things.

Lol predictably folks on salvation have me a series of changes how to make the bugs "more printable" because they were a bit too above the curve without explaining to me at all why they needed reigning in. Format ruining multicolored dumb attacking creatures right? Sometimes I wonder how these people reacted to spiritmonger.

Brilliant Outburst UR
Instant (U)
Draw two cards then discard a card from your hand.

I wonder how playable this card be.

Yeah it's sorta the fact that having control over what is going into my graveyard for 2 mana is pretty sweet.

so im helping a friend design a heavily proxied cube, and he wants there to be a lot of intersecting themes w/ cards that work for more than one, and he wants storm as a theme. seems like a problem? can we solve this?

some thoughts
Dragonstorm except not {8}{R}
Sorcery
Search your library for a creature or tribal permanent card and put it onto the battlefield.
Storm

Grinning Ignus the Sequel {2}{R}
Creature - Elemental
Haste
{R}, Return ~ to its owner's hand: Add {R}{R}{R} to your mana pool. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
3/1

Goblin Electrolooter {U}{R}
Creature - Goblin Wizard
{T}: Draw a card, then discard a card.
Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost {1} less to cast.
2/2

potential other version:
Goblin Electromancer 2 {U/R}{U/R}
Creature - Goblin Wizard
Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost {1} less to cast.
3/2

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
If I were proxying Storm cards I would make cards with an utter disregard to the existence of constructed environments, and go for more of like "value storm" type of things. Like, sure, Grapeshot doing 2 (or, hell, 3) damage would be bad for constructed, but could make for better design space in limited. I like the idea of just, sequencing your mana to get little chunks of value out of storm cards, as opposed to just jamming rituals and cantrips and hoping to get there.

oh man a grapeshot that does 2 or 3 is so scary though. how would one even begin to find the sweet spot to that without subjecting the drafters to some terrible experiences?

i did 15 with 2 grapeshots in mma draft. there were no prizes on the line which is why i even attempted the archetype

i like the idea, but i dont know a good way to carefully balance it.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, it doesn't have to be just errata of existing cards. But I think the reward is there if you're willing to experiment. I'd rather try and go through some headache than go through the same disjointed pile that constitutes the "storm archetype" in most cubes.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Guys, Guys, guys, guys, guys (And...women?) Help me out here:

Arkoan Slaughtermaster {1}{R}
Enchantment Creature - Human Warrior
Double Strike
Bestow N
1/1

Whats the correct value for N?