CML's Cube (405, polychromatic)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
My blue section is 47%: Faerie conclave counts, Thassa doesn't
I'm not so worried about the overall number, because if your white section is 100% creatures, and your blue section is 0%, your still at 50%, but you definitely can't play blue aggro.

I too love vapor snag. It's out right now because I like it less than other sweet 2 mana bounce spells, but it could totally come back in.

Bident could be intersting, but it might be a little too expensive/not helping your clock. I LOVE edric, so clearly there's something there. Withdraw honestly I wouldn't worry so much about. 2 mana for 2 creatures is solid anywhere, and unsummon in a pinch is fine. It;s out of my cube right now because I wanted it to be a sorcery.

I think delver seems like the optimisitic play a 1 mana threat and stop your opponent from doing anything that never works in except in legacy. I'm thinkin he might be poisionous too, but young pyromancer has been a hit. Maybe there's a custom card we could make?

Like, how fair is this?

Delver of Truths {U}{1}
Flying, Shroud, Echo
3/2

CML

Contributor
My blue section is 47%: Faerie conclave counts, Thassa doesn't
I'm not so worried about the overall number, because if your white section is 100% creatures, and your blue section is 0%, your still at 50%, but you definitely can't play blue aggro.

I too love vapor snag. It's out right now because I like it less than other sweet 2 mana bounce spells, but it could totally come back in.

Bident could be intersting, but it might be a little too expensive/not helping your clock. I LOVE edric, so clearly there's something there. Withdraw honestly I wouldn't worry so much about. 2 mana for 2 creatures is solid anywhere, and unsummon in a pinch is fine. It;s out of my cube right now because I wanted it to be a sorcery.

I think delver seems like the optimisitic play a 1 mana threat and stop your opponent from doing anything that never works in except in legacy. I'm thinkin he might be poisionous too, but young pyromancer has been a hit. Maybe there's a custom card we could make?

Like, how fair is this?

Delver of Truths {U}{1}
Flying, Shroud, Echo
3/2

i think you need to push the delver of truths a little more.
yeah it never works in non-legacy because everyone is playing creature decks and therefore removal. sometimes it doesn't even work in legacy because uhh

141.jpg

daze that son!!

I do find it strange that our experiences with Delver have been so disparate. Maybe that's related to your super high creature (read: non-spell) count. For reference my blue section is 40% creatures.

this was not true up until a week ago. remember that i had 4 ponder 3 brainstorm 2 preordain 1 gitaxian probe. there was no cube in the world better at casting and setting up a delver than mine. the blue section was ~40% spells. i had (still have) a tremendous amount of fixing and one-mana spells and everything that delver loves, yet, i scrapped it, because, delver never ever did anything. (help me figure out why?)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Push him how? I'm almost sure he needs echo... maybe echo {U}? Make him a 3/3?

I think the delver idea has more to do with just the pure density of the cards in your deck. Even if it's 3 delvers and 20 spells, it'll still be miserable flipping it because your odds are 50/50 there.
Would we play a card that was a useless pile of goblin raiders until you won a coinflip? I don't think we would

CML

Contributor
maybe we need 4 delvers? sigh. i'm having trouble coming up with a multifarious cube identity for U

edit: echo U sounds good

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Me too, but that's not really a problem if people like what that color does.

My cube had red being nothing but sligh and disruption, but people still liked it because sligh was fun. I like where it's at now, but I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for keeping it so monofacated.

CML

Contributor
well, the high density of fixing in my cube allows for mixing and matching, but that can only go so far. black is a lot more fun with gravecrawlers and so is the cube, but im not sure if a similar approach will actually work for Blue

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I would try just jamming Delvers and Brainstorms and report back. But ideally you also create competing demand for the cards. Minor Miracle subtheme? Augur of Bolas? Sphinxes that care about the top of the library?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
If you do it I would also think about possible anti-Delver tech. The M13 green guy? At what point dies Gut Shot become playable?

CML

Contributor
So like 4 Delvers? Since 2 Delvers + 10 cantrips didn't do the trick. The section will look something like:

4 Delver
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
1 Preordain
1 Gitaxian Probe
1 Vapor Snag

Another problem is that there are a handful of cards that go well with this theme but few suitable candidates for 2-4 copies, to wit
Runechanter's Pike
Snapcaster Mage
Young Pyromancer
Vapor Snag

Yet another problem is that almost all of the Blue decks want Brainstorm and Ponder (the cantrips go pretty evenly in every deck), but only one of them wants the Delvers.

I feel like I don't have space for a Delver theme and a "Blue creature-heavy aggro" theme, it's gotta be one or the other.

Re. Spiders, Green is not a color that should have trouble beating Delver too often. The secret of Delver is that it is like Merfolk, meant to abuse opposing Blue strategies. This is a good idea in a Legacy meta but in Cube ...

CML

Contributor
it is with much depression that i announce rancor is getting cut. goodbye my childhood. (mother of runes lives on, womb-like)

the devotion stuff was a hit for Jund colors. i think i wanna toss in a little more explicit Blue support, not sure what that would be. i guess ill try patched-up M. of W. for a custom card (pro-red -> prevent all noncombat dmg) though i'm not sure i wanna take the plunge there. a second cloudfin is probably a good idea. i also am gonna try pride of the clouds, but probably not grand architect. as for white getting a "color card" i'm gonna throw in honor of the pure and see if that does anything.

more specific updates coming in a bit

CML

Contributor
out — 5, 2, 2.5, 1.5, 3 (18)
temporal isolation, sunlance, suture priest, nearheath pilgrim, hallowed burial,
gifts ungiven,
grave titan, curse of shallow graves,
rancor, veteran explorer, garruk PH, primeval titan,
avatar of discord, orcish lumberjack, diregraf captain, psychatog, sin collector, nivmizzet dracogenius
in —
honor of the pure
stonecloaker
gift of estates (proxy)
academy rector (proxy)
cloudfin raptor #2
ichorid (proxy)
mikaeus the unhallowed
furnace celebration (proxy)
mitotic slime
fight garruk
birthing pod #3
pride of the clouds (proxy)
curse of chains (proxy)
ashenmoor gouger
smokestack (proxy)
crystal ball
bonehoard

gaea’s cradle

white sun's is meh in my slow durdly monstrosity. i dunno if that makes it better or worse here, probably worse because you'd be casting it for less explosive mana costs but then again 2/2s matter more

Well Spectral Procession is basically unbeatable so i'm kinda surprised to see that you're not running it. A while back when I asked my friend Jesse what he thought the best white card for White Weenie was he responded "I just take Spectral Procession over everything; every time I play it my opponent gets pissed off." A little hyperbole never hurts right? Anyways I just added Battle Screech to my cube and have been eager to test it out. I'm pretty sure Angel, Shrine, and Zenith all suck. I bet Wilt-Leaf Liege would be sweet though.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Concur, Spectral Procession is just about the best thing ever, and was the best (only?) incentive to go mono-white. Shrine is alright but it's mostly a sideboard card for the attrition matchups. I feel bad when I have to maindeck it.

CML

Contributor
OK i decided to stop supporting the stupid blue devotion theme (until the next set comes out, at least) so i threw in radical design choices like counterspells and card draw. here are some adventurous (read: extremely bored) additions i also made for no reason

188.jpg
69.jpg
248.jpg

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Gravitational Shift: for making Delver even more swingy. Or for free wins with Lingering Souls. Works strangely with Geist of Saint Traft. Not part of Innistrad block.