General [WAR] War of the Spark

No (proof)

Also, Bolas created the eternals pretty much for this battle, didn't he? I would have been very surprised had they not shown up.

I kind of thought that the whole point of the war was going to be to prevent the arrival of the Eternals, not fight them once they get there.

Why fight them on the beaches when you could just stop them from crossing the channel in the first place, you know?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I kind of thought that the whole point of the war was going to be to prevent the arrival of the Eternals, not fight them once they get there.

Why fight them on the beaches when you could just stop them from crossing the channel in the first place, you know?

I might have misunderstood this, but didn't the planeswalkers get lured into a trap by some sort of planeswalker distress call?

Didn't catch anything today. Why would they errata this to mandatory? And is this really the only spoiled card?

I might have misunderstood this, but didn't the planeswalkers get lured into a trap by some sort of planeswalker distress call?

We do not know this for sure (yet) however it seems very likely to happen next week. Probably on Monday.

That is what happened I believe. I thought the story was going to go like this: Bolas was going to lure and trap everyone on Ravnica, then summon the eternals to kill them.
The Jacetice league was going to try and destroy the planar portal (again) and then try to kill bolas (again), but this time with the help of the actually powerful planeswalkers Teferi, Karn, Jaya, Ugin. They win, but not without loss. Liliana dies, but not before the secret of her Raven Man is revealed. Then Jace retires to actually do his job as Guildpact with his new Girlfriend Vraska, and Gideon, Ajani, Karn, and maybe Teferi visit Theros to save Elspeth so they can fight the Phyrexians. Nissa and Chandra make out (because of course they will, I actually think that might be on a card in the real version of this story), and then the fall 2019 set is about... whatever they decide to do. Visit a viking world maybe?

Oh, and Tezzeret just dies in the first 5 minutes.

Obviously that's not going to happen now knowing that the eternals arrive, but who knows.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
My guess is to make it play smoother online (one less decision point to have to deal with)

I think these little design tweaks are pretty cool. Sure, there are corner cases where you might want to forgo the may (say, you have a board of Roc Charger, Elite Vanguard, and Phantom Monster and your opponent has a Bow of Nylea and nothing else, in which case the Pegasus Courser would have been better), but those cases are few and far between. I'ld argue that they do not even necessarily make for worse game play from a spectator's point of view.

I don't mind them using this template at all, it just feels completely exaggerating to errata an older card like the pridemate for it.

On topic: Do you guys think, there will be a lifegain theme, maybe in white/black?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't mind them using this template at all, it just feels completely exaggerating to errata an older card like the pridemate for it.

On topic: Do you guys think, there will be a lifegain theme, maybe in white/black?

Zero life gain cards in the set, Pridemate is just a bear with Standard implications :p

Ok new stuff!! This isn't everything previewed today, but this is all of the new Planeswalkers and new mechanics.
Uncommon PW:
pr8wHL6.png

For some reason I thought they were going to be giving us real planeswalkers at uncommon. NOPE! So that's disappointing. There are 20 of these uncommon walkers in the set. The one silver lining is that every planeswalker in the set has a static or triggered ability, not unlike the next card...

XQRBbjT.jpg

This is better. 5 starting loyalty, a good -ability, and a useable plus ability, along with giving vigilance to the team. There are 13 rare Planeswalkers in this set, and if they're all like Ajani, then I think we will be in for a real treat.

nU7y4D0.png

I'm not really sure what to say about Liliana other than: Cool. I don't think this is going to be a great cube card, although I like the triggered ability. The rest of the card feels very meh. There are 2 other un-spoiled mythic planeswalkers in WAR.

Proliferate returns:
vzIld5c.jpg

This is probably one of the most Riptide cards to be printed in a set since Amonkhet. I think a lot of us are going to slot this in to at least one of our lists and be happy about it.

New Mechanic! Amass!
BfTF4Vj.jpg

Let's just call this card "Badderblossom." This is a cool card, although it was not the zombie Tribal 2-drop I was looking for. Maybe if the second ability applied to all zombies this would be better.

It should be noted that Dreadhorde Invasion actually does trigger off of Honored Hydra tokens, so that's something to think about...

kZjQk7z.jpg

Cool.

4CT3POh.jpg

Eternal of Harsh Truths is Pissssssed!

I don't think this card is much better than "you make a 2/2, then Pyroclasm" in most cubes. I think Amass might be very parasitic if the rest of the cards are like this. Luckily, the other Amass cards previewed today were not super parasitic, so I have high hopes. Will WOTC finally give us the zombie tribal 2-drop we desire?

Last but not least, the Buy a Box promo!
XYD1Ztk.png

Affinity isn't in the set other than on Tezzeret here.

And that's everything I thought was worth sharing.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
These rare and uncommon planeswalkers are great! Awesome that there's going to be some lower power alternatives to the usual annoying value engines most planeswalkers are. I actually don't mind the uncommon designs at all! A nice static ability together with a few -1 ability shots. Great!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Bitterblossom Being the ludicrous card it is, one that goes tall instead of wide is probably way more fair.

Also I like the touch that amass and walkers give to proliferate in terms of it going tall as well. One of the problems with proliferate returnong in kaladeah or ravnica allegiance was probably because the context it gets used in most cubes (with a +1/+1 counter already on your whole team) is likely a bit swingy for retail limited. This let's them print stuff we might actually play