General Custom Cards: The Lab

RIN4bdO.jpg

this design is perfect imo

Yeah I agree!

I am soooo tempted to run it even though I have moved away from regular custom cards. Such a gem! I also remember your description, which went something like this: "Here the choice is actually difficult to make because giving up a planeswalker is much more of a threat-loss than giving up most other card types." The quote is not a direct quote but just my memory. I just love that!

9VQGcxd.jpg

Does this card seem too good? I'm trying to make a "stop yourself from decking" card for dredge that's playable in any deck. However, I don't know if this is how I should be executing the design.

Hey guys, I want to complete the Amonkhet Bicycle lands as kinda customs for my cube. I currently use the ones Ondee made, and they're sweet, but I want them to look like they're from Amonkhet too. So maybe you guys have some artworks that could be a fit for an enemy dual land and look as amonkhet-ish as possible?

Fun google image hunt.

UG: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/klnNd
BG: https://www.reddit.com/r/ImaginaryLandscapes/comments/aylr1c/oasis_by_ricardo_lima/
UR: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/red-canyon-3553434c-abb3-429d-b2c0-cc0a8adf0825
RW: https://www.deviantart.com/patheagames/art/Desert-Waterfall-Concept-331124735
WB: https://twitter.com/ScheierJason/status/1213175824385376257/photo/1

afaict these sources each provide the artist credit in question. Not sure how to directly embed images, (first post after a long-time lurking)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Holy shit, those are incredible! I love the UG and BG choices in particular!

9VQGcxd.jpg

Does this card seem too good? I'm trying to make a "stop yourself from decking" card for dredge that's playable in any deck. However, I don't know if this is how I should be executing the design.

I'd say the question you ask here is whether a 0 mana 3/3 trample is going to be better than the average card in your deck, and the answer is most of the time going to be "yes". It also pops off huge with instant speed card draw, especially X spells - if you have Sphinx's Rev/Blue Sun's Zenith etc in your cube you have to be extremely cautious with this sort of effect.

I'd say the question you ask here is whether a 0 mana 3/3 trample is going to be better than the average card in your deck, and the answer is most of the time going to be "yes". It also pops off huge with instant speed card draw, especially X spells - if you have Sphinx's Rev/Blue Sun's Zenith etc in your cube you have to be extremely cautious with this sort of effect.

What if you had to pay {1} or {2} to create the token?

Holy shit, those are incredible! I love the UG and BG choices in particular!

Always lead with the best ones right? I did some digging to try to find your original customs so I could try to match desert-ish art to the previous card titles but couldn't find them, unfortunately.

To keep with the "From Amonkhet" Flavor, May I suggest these card titles:
UG: Lush Oasis
BG: Fetid Grove / Overgrown Boneyard (Fetid Grove more closely matches AKH cycle, but Overgrown Boneyard is just so close to Overgrown Tomb I can't not suggest it)
RU: Lonely Cascade (Cataract is a nice word too and matches AKH Cascading Cataracts, I'd probably pick the upper part of the art for the card)
RW: Windswept Escarpment / Windswept Mesa (I'm partial to Escarpment but Mesa probably reads better)
WB: Isolated Canyon / Isolated Pass / Isolated Ravine (etc) (Isolated Chapel is W/B, and this is clearly some kind of rock cut, not sure which term flows best. Canyon ties in with Canyon Slough though.

RU is probably the one I'm least happy with, since I'm not sure Amonkhet really had mountains (all of the basic mountain art is monument structures of various levels of decay at sunset.) I would've loved something like https://dribbble.com/shots/5707985-The-Temple-of-Thoth but with a red and blue palette instead of a blue-green one, but didn't find it.

As requested

ggmu84
ocni04
grcz78
wprb41
ahja23

Wording is not Oracle, but matches the wording as of Amonkhet. These are full size at 300dpi (they're actually just under, you'll want to add some padding if you're printing at home.)

Is it cheating to use official promotional art that didn't make it onto a card?

What program did you use to make these proxies?

it’s in the credits line, I used the website mtg.design it isn’t as powerful as magic set editor but it works fine if you don’t want or need special frames. For cropping and scaling the art I used gimp.

I wouldn’t normally have used the original set logo but since Ravnics request was for enemy bicycles that looked like they were from Amonkhet I figured, why not go all the way. (Same reason I didn’t stick to oracle wording)

edit: one of the nice things about it is the resulting cards get hosted on the web so I didn’t need to reupload the images anywhere once I had finished them.

also that Naya Triome looks awesome and I’d never have guessed that was planechase art!

Is it cheating to use official promotional art that didn't make it onto a card?

I do this all the time :p Thank you very much!

The Isolated Pass stands out a little bit because the person is so clearly visible which is odd for a land. If the setting is suppose to take place during the Amonkhet block then I believe it is also a bit odd for lore reasons.

I would update the wording.

Good job!

Hah, I finished a first run befoe you answered, and I think it is funny how similar we've been in thinking with names and depiction. Here is my first attempt:
WB Silent Sands.jpgBG Overgrown Ruins.jpgGU Lush Oasis.jpgUR Reflecting Canyon.jpgRW Rugged Dunes.jpg

Anyway, I am probably replacing some of my artworks with the ones you suggested. WB and BG for sure, pondering about the other 3.

While we're on a land cycle kick, has anyone done the missing four of this cycle yet?

edit: also would these be too good if we sharpied plains/forest on them? (I guess to be oracle correct the wording would need to change on the tap effect to be city of brass 'whenever this is tapped' instead of a cost.)

As a sidenote I use:

Amonkhet cycle lands for the ally Guilds
Horizon cycle lands for the enemy Guilds

In this way they almost balance out. Both lands can fix mana and later in the game replace themselves with a card draw.