Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Actually, that's a question - do people think the Mythoi worth running if you're already supporting wedges? Or are there more interesting/fun cards that you could put in those slots?

I think they're all fine to run as they are in low power-level cubes, as they're pretty underwhelming when cast as normal, but I also don't think they're an automatic include in cubes that support wedges as the pip requirements are just to steep. To be fair, it doesn't seem like there are tri-coloured cards that drafters will actually fight over unless they're clearly very powerful, eg. Karador, Ghost Chieftain

I would give them a try in a wedge cube.

I really like:
  • The art, name, concept, resonance
  • The modality - the base case is not bad, but it becomes another card when you have access to all colors. Rewards you for playing a wedge, doesn't punish you for stumbling on colors.
I do not like:
  • The wordiness. And in case of the black one, that you need to read it three times to grok it.
I'm not sure of the power level of these cards.

Mythos of Snapdaxone at it's best gives your opponent the choice to keep the best card from each type, then sacrifice the rest. But since you sacrifice as well, it's okay to good if you're winning, only good if you have a board, when you're behind, and probably not good when you're winning. For {W}{W}{B}{R}, it becomes Tragic Arrogance. Except Arrogance is so much easier to cast and will always be better, and it only costs {1} more! Really not a fan of this one.

Mythos of Illuna is interesting because you can copy any permanent, and I think I'd be happy just casting for it's base more often than not. But then again, would you rather play the Mythos or Clever Impersonator ? I think this one's fine though.

Mythos of Nethroi is a better Murder, but that's about it.

Mythos of Vardok is actually nice at a lower power level, with the wedge bonus somewhat powerful.

Mythos of Brokkos is a double Regrowth but worse, and becomes a Entomb+2 Regrowth and essentially Demonic Tutor+regrowth if cast for it's extra cost. Powerful, but only worth it for it's wedge cost in my opinion.

TL;DR:
White one is pretty terrible, Black and Green are fine while Blue and Red are actually decent if cast for base.

I primarily like Mythos of Nethroi because it's a Mono-black card that signals Abzan decks are supported without needing to actually spend slots on 3 color cards. Any black midrange or control deck plays it, Abzan just gets to break it.
Imo it's slightly better murder, but I don't see it being cast for WBG too often so not sure if Hero's Downfall isn't just better even if the mana requirements are steeper. Alternatives for Murder I can think of are Eye to Eye, and I also present to you a serious alternative in Murderous Rider:)
Ah, Mr. Wagner, welcome to the forums :).

Dom Harvey

Contributor

How has the old man been for people? It looked like a home run for me but in drafting on CubeCobra etc I often find myself cutting it from decks that should be the ideal homes for it. I want to love it but I don't want to grow overattached!

I love the idea, but he's slow. While the best case scenario of say, casting it on turn three and recurring a Wurmcoil Engine on turn four, anything less seems a bit underwhelming giving you're spending so much mana. Would you be happy if you got anything less than Solemn Siumlacrum from it? That is, if you even have any artifact in your graveyard by turn three, let alone impactful ones.
I quite like Goblin Engineer, but obviously it can't get bigger targets. Then again, the alternative to Feldon could be Goblin Welder, but he might just be too good. I think the ideal power-level would be somewhere between Welder and Feldon, maybe if Feldon cost 2 to activate instead of three?

Oh sorry, misread the card.Even so, I think Feldon's speed makes him good later in the game when you have the mana to spare and artifacts in the bin, but can't forsee getting too much value out of him casting him on curve.

To change topics a bit, what do people think of
?

I want to add him (or her) to my cube in order to support land and ramp decks while also tying in with miracle archetype (weak, I know), but I am concerned he will just act as a massive roadblock for aggro. I guess this would be fine as ramp decks should probably beat aggro most of the time, but what do you guys think?

To change topics a bit, what do people think of
?

I want to add him (or her) to my cube in order to support land and ramp decks while also tying in with miracle archetype (weak, I know), but I am concerned he will just act as a massive roadblock for aggro. I guess this would be fine as ramp decks should probably beat aggro most of the time, but what do you guys think?
This card is not problematic in any capacity. White and Black aggro decks should usually have enough removal to deal with road blocks like this card (if they don't you're not playing enough removal). It is a bit difficult for red decks to deal with, but that's why we have cards like Char, Exquisite Firecraft, Roast, Flame Spill, Flame Slash, and Stoke the Flames.

I know some people running min-maxed cubes who cut cards like Courser of Kruphix because it's an aggro roadblock, but that's usually only relevant in cubes where the only archetypes are broad Aggro, Midrange and Control decks. Most riptide style cubes would not have an issue with this.

Thanks for your input! I think the decks that want it are likely good against aggro anyway, and so if they can't remove it they would likely lose to it anyway. That being said I'll try and include more 4 damage red removal, and I think this will be solution to my problem.

Does anyone still run Flame Slash/Roast, by the way? I love the artwork on Flame Slash, but I don't know what to cut for it (perhaps, Storm's Wrath), and, if to cut at all, then, maybe, for sth better than Slash? Maybe, not even a removal piece

Cards that are similar to Flame Slash that offer more flexibility: Lava Coil, Mizzium Mortars, Thundering Rebuke, Collective Defiance and Exquisite Firecraft. Maybe some of these could be more viable as they're more useful?

Cards that are similar to Flame Slash that offer more flexibility: Lava Coil, Mizzium Mortars, Thundering Rebuke, Collective Defiance and Exquisite Firecraft. Maybe some of these could be more viable as they're more useful?

That's about it. I want to run Flame Slash, but even though it costs 1 mana instead of two, there're many cards that are better than it (I run Mortars and Exquisite Firecraft). But it's... I dunno... Flavorful? I might run it from time to time just for that reason

How has the old man been for people? It looked like a home run for me but in drafting on CubeCobra etc I often find myself cutting it from decks that should be the ideal homes for it. I want to love it but I don't want to grow overattached!

He's been great in my "fast" multiplayer cube (which is still slower than regular 1vs1 most of the time). He is part of a bunch of small packages I run:

1. Cheat: Great way to complement black reanimation effects and enough pieces should you get them all that red can be a main cheat archetype and look towards other colors for support.

2. ETB: Red has it rough in the card advantage department and having these ETB effects helps a little (new Monarch cards are awesome for the CA too!). Supports white and/or blue grindy blink decks or the package can slot into an aggressive deck (Feldon shines less in that shell).

3. Sacrifice: Since you sacrifice the token at EOT, he is also solid in sacrifice decks as a late game engine.

So to recap, he is slow and grindy, but I think he is versatile enough to warrant a slot.

Has anyone had any interesting build-arounds with it? I mean, not a typical cheaty reanimator deck, but rather a "get-back-plenty-of-ETB-triggers" deck, for instance?

Living Death is powerful enough on its own to make it all sorts of decks but it also rewards synergy to a enough of a degree to justify running lesser cards to support it. It's a great design.

Living Death is pretty damn powerful. It could function as a wrath that brings back some good creatures from your gy, which can be a complete game changer and make a lot of decisions made before obsolete. If your cube is synergy-driven and supports gy strategies, things get even worse.

Buildarounds that fall into the same category that I like are Twilight's Call (my favourite), Death or Glory which is in another colour and got discussed on these forums a few weeks ago, and Boneyard Parley, which is quite similar to Death or Glory but in a colour that is easier to support.

Personally, I'd rank them like this:

1. Twilight's Call (pretty fun)
2. Death or Glory (looks pretty fun, didn't test it)
3. Boneyard Parley (personally, I don't like 'stealing' cards from opponent)
4. Living Death (wrath plus mass reanimation ez win)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Most of the actual rats would be little cuties like:

(I'm very, very sad that Pack Rat is GRBS.)
My first thought was: "I swear to God, if you include Pack Rat in that list..." :p

I think most of those rats aren't really cube level, unless you really power down your cube.

Don't sleep on this one though, it's actually quite solid if you include some tribal synergies and/or ninja's and/or bloodthirst in your cube.