Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

How greedy do you have to be? Or how expensive does your 4+ number of walkers have to be in order to run this card in a deck? I would call it broken with a Bolas or Ugin but Bolas is almost not castable in the same deck. Is it unfair to fetch an Elspeth, Sun’s Champion?

How greedy do you have to be? Or how expensive does your 4+ number of walkers have to be in order to run this card in a deck? I would call it broken with a Bolas or Ugin but Bolas is almost not castable in the same deck. Is it unfair to fetch an Elspeth, Sun’s Champion?
How greedy do you have to be?
Depends on how fast your format is.

Or how expensive does your 4+ number of walkers have to be in order to run this card in a deck? I would call it broken with a Bolas or Ugin but Bolas is almost not castable in the same deck.
I don't think you need 4 walkers in the deck for this thing to make the cut, 2 seems like the minimum but I'd be happy to play it with 1 good one provided it's a bomb.

The cost of the walker doesn't really matter- you're still getting to play a free planeswalker from your library out of the deal.

Is it unfair to fetch an Elspeth, Sun’s Champion?
Is Elspeth unfair in your format? Arena Rector is usually only ever going to bring out an Elspeth a turn or so earlier than normal if it's not being supported by random free sacrifice outlets and the like. Is playing an Elspeth on turn 5 using a Llanowar Elves variant unfair in your format? If so, then I'd say you should maybe avoid this card. Although at that point, Elspeth is also probably a card you should be avoiding.

Dom Harvey

Contributor

The +1 ability is music to my ears but the -2 worries me - when you get to steal something good, he really does feel like the greatest thief in the multiverse. Is that ability just too swingy, especially in a Cube that wants to host a lot of build-around artifacts?

The +1 ability is music to my ears but the -2 worries me - when you get to steal something good, he really does feel like the greatest thief in the multiverse. Is that ability just too swingy, especially in a Cube that wants to host a lot of build-around artifacts?
I don't really see any cards which would be huge problems to have stolen by Dack. As long as there are enough ways to kill artifacts in your format, I think it's probably fine.

The only thing I like about Dack Fayden is his +1.

-2 can be very, very fine and fair but the moment he steals a 3 mana artifact and survives = trouble

His ultimate doesn’t is not easy enough to build around because it is an ultimate after all and it requires a very set of cards. This leads to it being a situational ultimate that’s either too good or a do nothing.

This is my experience with the planeswalker at least. Does anyone have good experiences with him?

Especially if you are trying to have artifacts matter in your cube, I think he is a pretty big problem. It feels like you are including a specific hate card for that deck.
I'll echo what everyone is saying: the +1 is amazing though.

I decided to replace it with The Royal Scions. I don't particularly like it, but I can still get my looting and at least the other mode promotes attacking which I associate with fair magic.
It's obviously very generic and has too much loyalty, but I'm just not thrilled with Izzet cards in general and I know this one will see play.

Somebody tell me, why does no one play this card? Isn't it a delicious piece of fodder for sacrifice? It seems to me that its drawback is on the surface, which prevents literally everyone from cubing it, but not me due to my inability to see the problem with the Slime.

I see a few issues with it:

1. The competition: You run a high powered cube and this dude has to compete with these other sacrifice fodder pieces: Deranged Hermit and Deep Forest Hermit.
They hit harder, they give you ETB synergies and go into more decks (depending on supported archetypes obviously, but generally speaking).

2. Green usually isn't a primary sacrifice color. This doesn't mean you can't include some sacrifice cards to open up a classic BR sacrifice archetype, but it's less important and the cards mentioned above still slot nicely into those decks.

3. This is less important, but it offers no value if exiled or bounced. So against a U or W opponent, chances are you paid 5 mana and will get blown out or tempoed out for a fraction of the cost.

Again, this is from a high power perspective. For lower power, I could definitely see it played. Hope this helps!

One big issue that I can see is that 5 mana is pretty expensive for sacrifice fodder. Sure, you can get seven sacrifices out of it, but that's the spot in your curve where you probably want some payoffs or engine pieces rather than more fodder.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Especially if you are trying to have artifacts matter in your cube, I think he is a pretty big problem. It feels like you are including a specific hate card for that deck.

Do you think this is less of a problem when the artifact deck is likely to be at least one and probably both of U/R itself? If Dack can nab a random trinket from an opponent that you can then feed to Goblin Welder or whatever, that may even be a point in its favour

Do you think this is less of a problem when the artifact deck is likely to be at least one and probably both of U/R itself? If Dack can nab a random trinket from an opponent that you can then feed to Goblin Welder or whatever, that may even be a point in its favour

Yes, it's probably less of a problem.

However, the card is so good and efficient that I don't think it is reasonable to assume that it will go to the Izzet player even if the card is in those colors. You will likely go out of your way to splash for it if you are playing red or blue (at least I would :p). The last version of your cube that I saw had very good mana if I recall correctly so it wouldn't be that hard.

I hate to advocate against the card as I seriously love it. But I don't think it's fair. I might be overreacting on the hate against the artifact deck, but it feels weird to have a card that polarizing in a match up if you are promoting the deck.

Dack's a huge issue in so many situations. Definitely avoid it unless you enjoy super swingy games.

Slime is really cool, but it's slow or it's all sacrificed off very quickly. Definitely a card I frequently want to use but never makes the cut.

A three-mana planeswalker that loots twice per turn is going to be good even before you steal an artifact. Just stealing a mana rock or creature is more than enough to make it way above curve. Even then, it's just not interesting compared to another welder effect in Daretti.

Does one have to run 5 brainstorms to make this a thing?
No, but it's usually just going to be a bad Explore or an expensive Time Warp unless you run a lot of top of library manipulation. If you don't want to break singleton, I'd recommend cards such as Sensei's Divining Top, Riverwise Augur, Cavalier of Gales, and Conch Horn to put Temporal Mastery from your hand on top of your deck. Jace, the Mind Sculptor is an obvious partner for mastery as well, but he's quite strong and maybe worth avoiding. Some tutors put the card on top of your library, so you can still miracle Temporal Mastery. Mystical Tutor and Personal Tutor can both get this in blue, but black also has options like Vampiric Tutor. You could also play cards which let you shuffle cards from your hand into your library, such as Lat-Nam's Legacy or See beyond.

So, no, you don't need to run five brainstorms to make Temporal Mastery work, but you will still need to dedicate slots to support pieces for it to be consistently a Time Walk when your players want it to be.