General CBS

Chris Taylor

Contributor
xW1BE7v.png

Anyone have experience with building a draft sim cube? I'm thinking seriously about building one for Kaladesh, assuming it plays as well as it looks.

Of course, as a hopeless tinkerer, I doubt I'll be able to leave it as a pure environment for too long. I might play a bit with card ratios - having fewer of the dud commons or narrow constructed-focused uncommons. I'm also considering making a Time Spiral style bonus sheet where I make the 15th card from each pack an outsider that either ties into Kaladesh's themes or is just a fun pet card in each pack from outside the set.

Do you mean like a set cube? Typically you take 4x commons, 2x uncommons, 1x rares and mythics.
Cut the game-ending GRBS bombs, sprinkle in either extra fixing or extra solid uncommons to replace those cards.
After that, it's up to you.

Quick Question that I don't know where else to ask regarding CubeTutor's Champion features:
Can you customize your draft module to discard packs after X picks?
ie, could I set it to give each player 8 packs of 12, and after half the cards are picked from a pack, that pack is discarded and we move on to the next pack?
(You open Pack 1, which has 12 cards. Take 1, passing 11, and getting 11 from the player next to you. Keep picking and passing until you take a card from a pack of 7, but instead of passing 6, you discard those and open Pack 2.)

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Quick Question that I don't know where else to ask regarding CubeTutor's Champion features:
Can you customize your draft module to discard packs after X picks?
ie, could I set it to give each player 8 packs of 12, and after half the cards are picked from a pack, that pack is discarded and we move on to the next pack?
(You open Pack 1, which has 12 cards. Take 1, passing 11, and getting 11 from the player next to you. Keep picking and passing until you take a card from a pack of 7, but instead of passing 6, you discard those and open Pack 2.)

Doesn't exist as of yet from what I can tell. In the draft profile you can pick what type of cards appear in packs (which seems cool) but you can't 'burn' packs. Decided to look in the feature suggestions to see if it was wanted and put in a word for you.

Plpkpox.png

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Vintage cube is so hilarious.

Game 1 (on the play)
T1: Island, Mana Crypt, Sword of Fire and Ice.
T2: Volcanic Island, Venser, Shaper Savant (bounce opponent's only land).
T3: Mountain, Chandra's Phoenix, equip Sword, attack for 6, draw a card.
T4: Island, Opposition, attack for 6, draw a card, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy, tap land in opponent's turn.
T5: Attack for 6, Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning.

Ok, Mana Crypt is ridiculous (I did lose one flip), and my opponent never had more than two mana (and no plays). Doesn't get much better than this, right?

Game 2, on the draw.
T1: Mountain, Firedrinker Satyr.
T2: Island, attack for 2, Porcelain Legionnaire.
T3a: Steam Vents, attack for 5, Grim Lavamancer, Time Walk.
T3b: Mountain, Hellrider, attack for 13. Zing!

Ok, I was helped by an opponent that did nothing on the first three turns, but that still was a third turn kill. Technically.

Doesn't exist as of yet from what I can tell. In the draft profile you can pick what type of cards appear in packs (which seems cool) but you can't 'burn' packs. Decided to look in the feature suggestions to see if it was wanted and put in a word for you.

Thanks for this speedy response (and feature request)! I've been dragging my heels about going Champion because it doesn't really offer me anything atm since my drafting style is non-standard, so it makes it really hard to replicate over a CubeTutor draft. I guess I'll go Champion anyway and just start voting more and making comments on feature requests.

Another graph:
zZcwb4V.png

I'm still repping UW and Bant but certainly not in T16s. It really does feel like they're just about gone from the meta though. Jeskai really picks up with Stoneforge Mystic's printing, goes down in popularity and then up again with Cruise's printing. Choked Esper out of the format and Esper's still recovering.

Info on the (python) scripts used, csv, and a github with resources.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Recently watched LSV's most recent videos of the Lagecy cube, and let me tell you, hearing him say multiple times that He was warming to the cube because "the games are great even though the power level is lower than normal" warmed my heart
He calls that 'lower than normal'?! Geez, give this man a penny cube!

Related note, the deck I just 3-0'd with in the cube:
rbNCdB1.png