Search results

  1. Zoss

    General Distanced Drafting--Online Cube League

    Hey, no worries--I've also never drafted a cube before! For my draft group, drafting a normal set and playing three rounds takes us about three or four hours, and that's super casual. A lot of people take a couple minutes here or there to prep dinner, feed the cat, etc., and I'd try to emulate...
  2. Zoss

    General Distanced Drafting--Online Cube League

    No, nominating your own cube is kind of the point! I just wanted to leave it open-ended so that if someone's cube wouldn't work well over internet drafting programs (Kirblinx's Type 4 Stack, Velrun's inscrutable board game, etc.) they would still get a say in what to bring!
  3. Zoss

    General Distanced Drafting--Online Cube League

    2020! What a year! It stinks, and not the least because we haven't been able to cube. Let's change that by cubing together separately. I propose to draft someone's cube on the first Sunday of every month, probably around noon EST. Interested? If so, please sign up by posting here! This is NOT...
  4. Zoss

    General The Best Card Sleeves

    Penny sleeves are the real deal. Jokes aside, I've been very happy with Dragon Shield Perfect Fits for inners (https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/236042) and Ultimate Guard Katanas (https://ultimateguard.com/en/ideal-fit/katana-sleeves-standard-size#/11-color_variation-black) for my outer sleeve...
  5. Zoss

    General [ZNR] Zendikar Rising Spoilers

    I can second Dr4ft, I've been using it with a group of friends to draft old sets every other Saturday. Being on voice through Discord and playing over Cockatrice is almost like playing in person. . . . Heck, does anyone want to draft someone's cube over dr4ft some time? If anyone would be...
  6. Zoss

    Sets Kaldheim Charade

    @TrainmasterGT--That's absolutely true, thanks for listing those! I too am bemused by the number of generic-sounding legendary artifacts. Also, I totally didn't know that about names often being off on leaks--that would explain a lot, though I also am probably getting too hung up on a name...
  7. Zoss

    Sets Kaldheim Charade

    Oh, absolutely. But there's also nothing special about Odin's actual eyepatch, it's . . . just an eyepatch (iirc). That definitely seems like something that Wizards might change in their adaptation, though, as self-mutilation in the quest for knowledge miiiiight just be a little too R-rated for...
  8. Zoss

    General Interesting Cards at High Power Levels

    Mirror Entity is a haymaker, no two ways about it. However, I think of it as being like a telegraphed and therefore beefier Inspired Charge. Sure, it wins games, but it's slower than the Charge until you hit 5 mana, which is nontrivial in aggro decks. Also, it can definitely shrink creatures...
  9. Zoss

    Sets Kaldheim Charade

    The one thing that makes me dubious about this set of possible leaks is how outright BAD the name "Patch of Sacrifice" is. These cards seem reasonable mechanically (though maybe that makes them more suspect, not less . . . :eek: ), but there are two main things wrong with that name. 1) It is a...
  10. Zoss

    General Interesting Cards at High Power Levels

    I hear you say that you're having trouble finding interesting cards in White--let's change that! I think you might have luck trying the "Looking for a Card" thread, where other people have asked a similar question recently. I posted the following in response: [/spoiler] Other gems that...
  11. Zoss

    Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

    For the Tools of Royalty, my biggest problem is with the Scepter of Empires. The other two seem plausible, but pinging for one a turn seems exceptionally mediocre. The other two sets seem fine, though Bogbrew Witch is especially mediocre without the rest of the set. Maybe the Witch is a...
  12. Zoss

    General Draft Modifier Cards

    Paliano Vanguard Here's one you've overlooked! It does a decent impression of Metallic Mimic, but it gets actively good if you've got a Humans theme going. This is mostly because these effects get a LOT better in multiples--for example, while Ethereal Absolution is somewhat beatable Elesh Norn...
  13. Zoss

    Mordor's Cube (The Ship of Theseus)

    You're absolutely right--I completely missed that there aren't any board wipes, and very little of the removal is inherently a 2-for-1! That would go a long way towards making this the idealized midrange experience.(That is, make creatures [or, more precisely, permanents] the only way to get...
  14. Zoss

    Dom's Stream of Consciousness

    Something I've tried in my cube instead of running the Onslaught cyclers is just to run a BUNCH of Ash Barrens. Like, 10 of them. You could do something similar and just mark them as follows: "Basic landcycling {1} "! Or just add "Cycling {1}" to the card and get something that still makes...
  15. Zoss

    Mordor's Cube (The Ship of Theseus)

    I like the idea of the cube, and the list looks really interesting! However, I'm wondering if midrange is truly the right moniker to put on the strategies that come out of this cube. Also, I'm noticing that your removal to creature ratio is just about 1:1, or at worst 4:5. (ex. there are 15...
  16. Zoss

    General Average Words Per Card

    I've been thinking about words per card as an abstract metric, and I think that we can't really use it as a viable metric between cubes unless the difference is stark (e.g. intentionally simple cubes as compared with Kirblinx's stack). However, what I *do* think it's useful for could be as an...
  17. Zoss

    General Average Words Per Card

    Oops. On an actually productive note, it's fascinating how tight the spread on average word count is for cubes that aren't explicitly 'efficient' with words. One has to wonder how much of this is due to overlap in cube staples and how much this is due to power level correlating with word...
  18. Zoss

    General Custom Cards: The Lab

    I agree that Venser is not showing up in official canon, unless trotted out in a Masters set or as an Officially Pushed Commander! However, after an hour or so of reading the actual lore instead of working off of the lore I think I knew, I know that Karn is worried about Phyrexians developing...
  19. Zoss

    General Custom Cards: The Lab

    Thanks for the story, Velrun! I knew the basics (EEEEeeevil Karn, heroic sacrifice), but this is both more concise and better fleshed-out. It does make me wonder a couple of things. One, evidently Venser's spark and perhaps sparks of other Planeswalkers (I hate that Walker is now an official...
  20. Zoss

    General Custom Cards: The Lab

    @Chris--I like the flavor a lot, and I think you can definitely justify this all falling under the purview of White! However, it's a fairly pushed card when compared with Forbidden Friendship. Maybe raise the CMC to 2W or make it cost either {W/B}{U/R} OR {2/W}{2/W} ? (The middle mess is an...
Top