Card/Deck A different way to ramp

I've been thinking about different ways for green to ramp and have been looking at the cards that let you play extra lands each turn. I've listed some of the thoughts and synergies below. See what you think. I admit that it's probably more suitable for a lower power cube and I'm not sure it's something I'm going to implement straight away but it looks different and interesting.

Things that let you play extra lands each turn:

sakura-tribe scout
skyshroud ranger
exploration
burgeoning
budoka gardener
rites of flourishing
azusa, lost but seeking
explore
walking atlas
oracle of mul daya
kiora, the crashing wave
urban evolution

Then you could play some lands that bounce things to take further advantage of them:

golgari rot farm
gruul turf
selesyna sanctuary
simic growth chamber
darigaaz's caldera
rith's grove
treva's ruins
jungle basin
firewild borderpost
wildfield borderpost

If you're bouncing then you can take more advantage of:

tendo ice bridge
gemstone mine

If you're playing the bouncelands then you can play untaps to get more mana out of them:

voyaging satyr
kiora's follower

And then if you're putting lots of lands into play then all the cards that take advantage of them, including landfall:

courser of kruphix
lotus cobra
adventuring gear
khalni heart exhibition
ior ruin expedition
seer's sundial
emeria angel
vinelasher kudzu
sporemound
rampaging baloths
avenger of zendikar

If it's easy for you to put lands into play then some cards that let you return cards as a cost:

gush
flooded shoreline
fathom seer
querion ranger
scryb ranger
living tsunami
meluko, the clouded mirror

And if you've got a lot of lands then:

ground assault
rubblehulk

Might be too poisionous. Might be interesting. Might be too deep. Might be fun.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I do like this idea, with the caveat that I like every idea and that this is one that you'd have to be very committed to.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
The thing about most of the "play an extra land" cards is that even moreso then usual ramp cards, they run you out of steam really fast unless you have ways to grab extra cards into your hand. I'm not sure the incentives are enough to make up for the inherent disadvantages.

If we are going down this rabbit hole, we could consider adding draw engines & spells that will keep the lands coming. I can already envision wildfire decks that work without mana rocks & maybe even modern style aggro loam decks...how deep are we going again?

I've got some problems with this kind of effect; I'd pretty much always rather get lands out of my deck. They've got the limitation of you needing the cards: "if I just draw a land I can play my thing;" these don't get you there while 'real' ramp does, which is a pretty big deal IMO. I'd pretty much always want regular elves instead of "you can play more lands" guys; the feeling of slamming more lands is cool, but the feeling of looking at a hand of no lands sucks.

All this said Oracle of Mul Daya is "my" invitational card.

I still see a possibility for an awesome land cube. All sorts of domain and landcycling. Someone needs to get on this asap!

CML

Contributor
The idea I like most here is Voyaging Satyr, with maybe a bounceland or two in the funsies draft. The running out of steam thing is real, everyone loves them some Oracle of Mul Daya though. Makes the games run smoothly, even in Grim Monolith Cubes.

Yeah I think voyaging satyr is one of those cards that's stock will rise as more cards get printed. It's playable as is and if we get some more cards that tap for good effect or multiple mana it might get hot.

I think I only made this thread as I wanted to find a way to play with tendo ice bridge.

There is a real problems with this approach and running out of steam. You'd have to multiple up with explores and bouncelands for it to be possibly good and even then I'm not convinced. I still think there's merit in exploring ideas and seeing if somebody comes up with a suggestion that you hadn't thought of to make it work.

i wonder if by the end of ths block it will be possible to have a non-custom cube with a non-poison enchantress theme

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I think it's almost there tbh, it's obviously unfortunate that there are no red or black enablers but it's a nice boost to white.