General Aesthetics Debate Club: Optimizing Art in Cube (Daily!)

Day 6: Elvish Mystic | Results​

Wesley Burt | M14 - 6 votes (50%)
Magali Villeneuve | SLD - 3 votes (25%)
Greg Staples | CMM - 2 votes (17%)
Winona Nelson | F14 - 1 vote
Iga Oliwiak | LTC - 0 votes

The original art is clearly the most iconic. I do agree with the comments here that Villeneuve's rendition may not reflect what an Elvish Mystic is/should be, but I am sad such a gorgeous piece only got three votes! Appreciate all the perspectives shared all the same :)

Day 7: Battlefield Forge | Survey

apc-139-battlefield-forge.jpgsld-669-battlefield-forge.jpgbro-257-battlefield-forge.jpgbro-297-battlefield-forge.jpgltc-296-battlefield-forge.jpg

Darrell Riche | APC
MSCHF | SLD
Thomas Stoop | BRO
Rob Alexander | BRO
Victor Harmatiuk | LTC

Participate in the survey here!

While I may strongly prefer the classic border, I think I'll be upgrading to Harmatiuk's Lord of the Rings-flavored rendition upon reflection. The original art just doesn't reflect what a land should be as far as I'm concerned, and is not nearly as evocative as the Rohan encampment as a piece of fantasy art as well.

Rob Alexander is undoubtedly my favorite Magic artist, but beyond my slight preference against the full-art style, I don't really know what's going on here. It's evocative of the time period and I see some Brothers' War-era stuff going on, but this looks like a general desert battlefield, not a "battlefield forge" and certainly not a land that is both a mountain and a plains.

I'm a big fan of the MSCHF Secret Lair Plains, but I would never remove the sticker. Fan of the concept here and not so much the playability.

It frustrates me to no end that all of the LTC nonbasics cycles are incomplete and that nobody else seems to have picked up on it. I know, I know, great place to make your own, but you'd think WotC would make the missing lands available in set boosters or a secret lair or something for the fans who want complete sets of LotR lands.

Agreed that the original is a little ham-handed and that the LotR commander one is shockingly nice.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Apocalypse: Battlefield Forge
Secret Lair: Burning Golf Course
Brother's War Regular: Lavastream Mountains
Brother's War Borderless: Noxious Scrap Heap
Lord of the Rings: Tent Camp Forge

It may be a little ham-handed, but the original art is the only one that really feels like it's depicting an actual forge on a battlefield. LotR one is close though, and also a nice pick. The other three suuuuuck!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Apocalypse: Battlefield Forge
Secret Lair: Burning Golf Course
Brother's War Regular: Lavastream Mountains
Brother's War Borderless: Noxious Scrap Heap
Lord of the Rings: Tent Camp Forge

It may be a little ham-handed, but the original art is the only one that really feels like it's depicting an actual forge on a battlefield. LotR one is close though, and also a nice pick. The other three suuuuuck!
Yet another easy pick for the Waddell System.

I voted for the Brothers’ War one. I like the new Pain land cycle arts actually.

However in cube I would 100 % add the Apocalypse even though I think the new art is better.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, we're voting for the art, not for the border :) The Apocalypse art is available in the new border :D
I don't know, to me the question is about "which card should I put in this box of cards, based on aesthetics", and the border is part of the aesthetic.

Day 7: Battlefield Forge | Results​

Darrell Riche | APC - 9 votes (60%)
Rob Alexander | BRO - 2 votes (13%)
Victor Harmatiuk | LTC - 2 votes (13%)
MSCHF | SLD - 1 vote
Thomas Stoop | BRO - 1 vote

A decisive victory for the classic!

Day 8: Recruitment Officer | Survey

bro-23-recruitment-officer.jpggdy-7-recruitment-officer.jpg
Johan Grenier | BRO
Zoltan Boros | GDY

A smaller sample today, with a recent reasonably-popular cube inclusion!

I like both. The original one is the one I've picked, because the composition is nice and it matches the flavor of the card well. The Game Day promo has fantastic art, and I love how it shows off the mech in the background, but the perspective is a bit uncanny and doesn't really jive with the card's purpose or narrative. Would be happy to have it on a card that pilots mechs though.

What do you all think? Take the survey here!

Both Recruitment Officers look so happy! Most magic card folk seem to have their faces set to grim determination, so it’s nice to see these two taking joy from their job of encouraging others to die in a brutal and senseless war.

I prefer scroll-waver over flag-hugger.

Day 8: Recruitment Officer | Results​

Johan Grenier | BRO - 10 votes (67%)
Zoltan Boros | GDY - 5 votes (33%)

The booster pack edition wins by a 2:1 ratio!

Day 9: Phyrexian Metamorph | Survey

nph-42-phyrexian-metamorph.jpgpnph-42★-phyrexian-metamorph.jpg2xm-341-phyrexian-metamorph.jpgsld-1110-phyrexian-metamorph.jpg

Jana Schirmer & Johannes Voss | NPH
Jung Park | PNPH
Thomas M. Baxa | 2XM
Yoji Shinkawa | SLD

Click the survey here!

I picked Metamorph for our next edition because we've gotten two different printings that people have seemed impressed with in recent years...and it's also a card I can't imagine ever removing from my cube, even with the state of power creep in modern Magic.

I was a longtime Promo-hater on this card for reasons that don't really make sense to me in hindsight (other than a general aversion to foil-only printings), but when a Secret Lair for Yoji Shinkawa (of Metal Gear Solid fame) was announced, I knew it was the end of the classic Jana Schirmer & Johannes Voss version in my 720, no matter how much nostalgia I associated with it.

Yoji Shinkawa is one of the few artists whose art books I collect. I've also picked up most of the MGS comics over the years primarily to have extra opportunities to appreciate the intense emotion that makes its way into every pen line. Shinkawa's got a deeply human way of representing war and death and while those elements may not be present in his Phyrexian Metamorph, the incredible talent behind his character design shines through into a creature that would be the envy of most artists' portfolios.

A concern I have with including SLD art in my cube, especially those that are more distinct from "traditional" MtG art, is that the cube grows increasingly harder to grok as a box of Magic cards as time goes on. While this card certainly looks vastly different from most artifacts, the unsettling figure and the sci-fi vibes are more appropriate on a Phyrexianized artifact creature than they'd be anywhere else, so I'm able to double-sleeve this one guilt-free.

@MilesOfficial Have any of the voting results surprised you?
Many of them!

The previous two are great examples. I thought my impassioned argument for the LotR version of Battlefield Forge would be strong enough to sway at least one or two of my fellow classic-border-preferrers, but it only got one vote besides myself.

Yesterday's as well was a more positive surprise, as most cubes I've seen on CubeCobra and most decks I've seen IRL prefer the promo art for Recruitment Officer.