Sets Amonkhet (AKH) Spoilers

I somehow went 3-1 with green black commons and uncommons midrange *Shrug*
Liliana's Mastery was the good card I opened, and it was indeed good, though mostly in just being 2 bodies, though I did have a few Cursed Minotaur who got pumped.

I didn't really have any spectacular wins, but I did get ran the fuck over by someone with the following curve:
T2: Pathmaker Initiate
T3: Tah-Crop Skirmisher
T4: Emberhorn Minotaur
T5: Glorybringer
T6: Floodwaters

Also, I got to see someone Lay Bare the Heart my friend and reveal the following:

That was pretty great to witness :p

Oh Jesus I might barf. That's so gross.

In other news, after not having played Magic since the Aether Revolt prerelease, I casually 4-0'd with a pretty mediocre pool. I ran a black/white zombie tokens deck that completely lacked any decent rares except for Oracle's Vault and Anointed Procession, which ended up being way better than I anticipated. This is exactly the kind of set I love. Lots of decisions all over the place, and synergy being more important than raw power. I dig it.

My brother seems to love this set. How are people liking it?

Sealed is fairly mediocre, but drafted it for the first time last night. I have to say, this one has potential. It was probably the most fun I have had in a non-cube draft. Specifically, cycling might be my favorite limited mechanic of all time. It will take more playing to know how well AKH stands up against other great drafts sets, but it is definitely synergy-based and there appear to be a lot of flexible archetypes.

5 island 4 forest 4 swamp 2 mountain 1 painted bluff 1 cascading cataracts
glyph keeper, glorybringer, greater sandwurm

2 naga oracle, soulstinger
baleful ammit, plague belcher, weaver of currents
oashra cultivator

essence scatter, cancel, reduce / rubble, illusory wrappings, decision paralysis
trial of zeal, electrify
2 cartouche of ambition, trial of ambition, splendid agony, final reward
gift of paradise

prob take splendid agony and illusory wrappings and a naga oracle
add doomed dissenter and open into wonder and bounce
glorybringer does indeed bring swift glory. get to use it twice against people who dont give up

went 2-2. mana was good. missed a trial trigger and made some bad blocks. next time. need to crush them with my rainbow

...that is a really sweet combo. Maybe not for cube, but definitely for the Zur de France edh deck I'm playing around with. And the Aqueduct can be replaced with new perspectives and any cycler or fluctuator and random U land. Neat and rather robust combo!

That name, love it :)
Thank you :). Not an original name, sadly, but I latched onto it as soon as I saw it in whatever corner of the Web I found it in.

Deck is shaping up to be insanely fun to play, and Amonkhet has given ample additions and redundancies to the strategy.

Laz

Developer
...that is a really sweet combo. Maybe not for cube, but definitely for the Zur de France edh deck I'm playing around with. And the Aqueduct can be replaced with new perspectives and any cycler or fluctuator and random U land. Neat and rather robust combo!

Oh, when you bring Fluctuator into it, you make a lot of things possible (since every cycling {2} card now costs {0}).

Colourless-only variant:

Simplest version:

On second thought, I uh... wonder if that that works? Discarding a card to cycling is a cost, not an effect, right?

Edit: Yup, I'm sorry it doesn't :(

Source: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=202455
Bummer. One of these moments when the MTG rules just have so many extra niche corners that sometimes it's just like.... why? The card works that way fine as read, and certainly it could have been oracle differently (afaik). Something like "when you discard a card..."

How have those cards been for you? The gods seem rewarding for certain types of deckbuilding which is something I absolutely love about them, but Kefnet for example seems to be quite narrow on the other end. Liliana looks like a pretty cool tool for black control/reanimator style decks and definitely not too strong, or am I completely mistaken?

I've played with Kefnet and Liliana, I didn't test the other two.

Kefnet was kind of awful. It was almost never active outside of rare scenarios, and spending 3U to draw a card was also kind of poor. It felt like a poor Thassa imitation.

Liliana has been great. All the modes have been relevant, and the ultimate has been pretty great and reasonable to reach. It's great both on curve to shit out tokens and even late game as a top deck when you have something big in the bin to bring back. I think being 5 mana curbs her strength a bit, but if you're catering to a lower power environment and specifically one without planeswalkers then it might be too much.