Sets Amonkhet (AKH) Spoilers

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
HSPTBBB.png

Holy cow!

Laz

Developer
I am having a very hard time reconciling Amonkhet cats in a universe with Leonin and their Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition body armour.

What are you talking about? Magic creature types are easy.

Hound... Fox... Wolf...

Cat... Cat with cloven hooves... Cat with a wolf's head... Human with a cat's head... Upright leopard... Scottish dude with a cat's head and legs... Demon with cat tail...

Compared to that, Sphynx cats seem easy.

Laz

Developer
HSPTBBB.png

Holy cow!

Wow! That is a cool card! I first thought of Hellrider, then realised that creatures would have to survive combat for that to work out, so my mind jumped to utility creatures, like mana dorks, but then the chip damage isn't as amazing. Fun interaction for people playing standard, if you have a single vehicle out, you can tap all of your creatures at no cost.

I am not sure when it is awesome, or what sort of decks play it and really capitalise on it, but it is neat.

HSPTBBB.png

Holy cow!

I had the same reaction but on considering it, this feels like a card that is only good when you're already winning. If you're not ahead when you play this, your creatures probably aren't tapping to attack, and I don't think a green deck with mana dorks really wants this. Maybe it's good with tokens?

Yeah, seems bad unless you're winning--in which case playing anything is probably good for me--or you can alpha them with tapped creatures, which seems like a narrow window. Pretty easy pass.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
This is a card that really caught my eye:
insultinjury.jpg
This card is insanely pushed. I was looking for a new flashback burn spell, but I'm not sure I want it attached to this thing. It looks like one of those situational cards that ends up sucking 9/10 times you draw it, but is it? It works on everything (other then things that trigger on your opponents turn). And even if it's not super value you get free burn spell later.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Well, maybe I'm bad at looking, but I can't find a decent comparable to insult, nevermind a decent comparable to insult that also throws in a flashback burn spell. The card could well turn out to suck simply because its niche sucks, but I'm not sure how it isn't pushed way further then any other effect of this kind.

has anyone discussed the 5 "Monument" cards? all 3 colorless mana artifacts.

Bontu's Monument -- Black creature spells cost 1 less to cast. & Whenever you cast a creature spell (not just black) each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life
Hazoret's Monument -- Red creature spells cost 1 less to cast. & Whenever you cast a creature spell (not just red) you may discard a card, if you do, draw a card
Kefnet's Monument -- Blue creature spells cost 1 less to cast. & Whenever you cast a creature spell (not just blue) target creature an opponent controls doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
Oketra's Monument -- White creature spells cost 1 less to cast. & Whenever you cast a creature spell (not just white) create a 1/1 White Warrior creature token w/ Vigilance.
Rhona's Monument -- Green creatures spells cost 1 less to cast. & Whenever you cast a creature spell (not just green) target creature you control gets +2/+2 & trample until end of turn.

these add a lot of flavor... 1 less to cast is pretty strong imo. we play multiplayer so having these effects "out there" on a stick is pretty cool.

Cycling for just U is sooooo much better than cycle 2. I'm a bit annoyed at the pushed stat line (4/4 flying for 4 with upside??).

This is kind of a weird card to have cycling. It's not really big enough to be an exciting reanimation target, but it's really not the kind of thing you want to cycle away unless you're truly desperate. Great card tho.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, I really like the design, and its right up where I want creatures to be. Its a really lovely control finisher, since you can cycle it away if you draw it early, and the scry on discard works really nicely with a lot of old school sifting effects. Its also a solid solar flare target in that kind of circa 2007 world.

That being said, in the current game it is very clunky.

Its so weird how they mix these sorts of solid 2007ish creature designs in with pushed creatures.

Huh, surprised to see little discussion on some of the earlier spoilers aside from that Sphinx. I thought these two were also pretty neat:

hapatravizierofpoisons.jpg
lilianadeathsmajesty.jpg

That cleric has some cool design though it doesn't really fit into the GB themes I've got (could work in other cubes that have counter themes and synergies), while that Lily looks like a fine low-powered offering to those looking to push more graveyard themes. Sadly, I probably won't be able to find a slot for it since LoTV is staying forever and I've already reserved a spot for Last Hope once I acquire a copy. Also this one has gorgeous art and would look absolutely amazing in foil.

And here's a new one with one of our favorite mechanics:

soulscarmage.jpg

It's pretty cool that it gives any source Wither aside from just instants and sorceries. Turns stuff like burn from Chandra PW cards into ways of shrinking big threats if you can't outright kill them with meaningful removal or enough burn damage.

Liliana is amazing and the solid black 5 drop I've wanted. It's one of the better cards you could run that's CMC 5 and black.

Not sure about the GB bear since it doesn't get through a ton of boards, which makes the ability kind of awkward. Maybe if -1-1 counters was a major theme I could see it, but having to hit players to trigger sucks.

Not in love with the Mage, but at the same time it could be good enough. Swiftspear probably isn't good enough without haste since when you can't activate it a 1/2 for R really sucks, so I wonder how relevant wither will be. My red aggro decks have lost to green ramp and what-not that lands creatures that can't be killed by burn, so maybe this is useful there.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I love shit 2 drops more then anyone I know, so the fact that I'm unenthusiastic about Hapatra can't be a good sign.

Liliana seems good, but does anyone's cube actually want to expand token spamming planeswalkers into black?

Liliana seems good, but does anyone's cube actually want to expand token spamming planeswalkers into black?

*raises hand*

Especially if the token-spammer is in one of the least supported spots in cube (CMC 5 // black) and also has a reanimation clause. It might not be one of the better black planes walkers so I could see it not making lists if you don't run any or only have a count, but after Liliana of the Veil it's definitely one of the best.