Sets Amonkhet (AKH) Spoilers

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Samut seems fine to me. At least until you get to the last line with that white activation and ability that doesn't really seem at all necessary to the design of the card. Seems easy enough to sharpie over. But otherwise I like it and I'm someone who historically doesn't like 3/4 flash creatures.

My concern with Samut is what Naya deck wants that? That's a pretty low to the ground color combination. Nothing about Wild Nacatl says "get to 5 mana so we can do something cool". How would this fit in? That fires effect you want to follow up with a 6+ drop. I guess I just don't see the archetype that wants Samut.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
My concern with Samut is what Naya deck wants that? That's a pretty low to the ground color combination. Nothing about Wild Nacatl says "get to 5 mana so we can do something cool". How would this fit in? That fires effect you want to follow up with a 6+ drop. I guess I just don't see the archetype that wants Samut.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
In unrelated news, a card that fills me with glee instead of disgust:
oketrasattendant.jpg

Oh man cycling and flashback! Man the white 5s are so sweet in this set :D

Dude it's a 6/4 haste vigilance that works well with equipment in the colors that Miiiiiight have a good pump spell (Ghor-Clan Rampager), and odds are you can probably ambush a creature with it since nobody expected flash blockers from the red green deck. Dumb design aside, it's still gonna kill people.
That white activated ability is distraction, nothing else.

Not arguing it's power level. But are Naya decks (or Gruul decks for that matter - let's ignore the W untap thing) - are those decks midrange in your lists? Naya/Gruul strike me as decidedly aggressive. I've tried a bunch of fires midrange things and they just never seem to work. I think this card is just a fish out of water. I hope someone proves me wrong though and posts a 3-0 deck with this card in it.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Not arguing it's power level. But are Naya decks (or Grull decks for that matter - let's ignore the W untap thing) - are those decks midrange in your lists? Naya/Grull strike me as decidedly aggressive. I've tried a bunch of fires midrange things and they just never seem to work. I think this card is just a fish out of water. I hope someone proves me wrong though and posts a 3-0 deck with this card in it.

You'll just get to 5 mana and kill the opponent. It is the water.

Well, I'm notoriously bad at card evaluation. So I might just be undervaluing the sheer power of the card.

I'm just skeptical of cards like this. It's not resto-angel. Flying on that really matters and so does the flicker effect. It's also super splashable (and costs 1 less). This card is in a color combination that doesn't want to be wasting time on T6 getting value off activated abilities or trying to build a pants type thing with equipment on a dude with no evasion. All this might sound good but I just don't see it working out. Everything except grave crawler and looter il-kor can chump this. The flash is cool I guess and maybe you kill a titan level dude, but that's 5 mana and a card to do that (and pretty heavily telegraphed). Really not a super amazing play.

I might have my head up my ass here though. I will admit that.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Not arguing it's power level. But are Naya decks (or Gruul decks for that matter - let's ignore the W untap thing) - are those decks midrange in your lists? Naya/Gruul strike me as decidedly aggressive. I've tried a bunch of fires midrange things and they just never seem to work. I think this card is just a fish out of water. I hope someone proves me wrong though and posts a 3-0 deck with this card in it.

Realm Razer is totally playable in my experience, but... it doesn't get picked often. I really wish they'ld give Naya a more interesting identity than "we <3 big creatures" (viz. Mayael the Anima). That stuff just doesn't work in cubes as a theme (I've tried). I love the mechanics on cards like Tamanoa and Retaliator Griffin, but the power level of Naya's rares is just not on the same level as other shards and wedges.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
1492071473-5973-capture-d-ecran.png

Start {2}{W}
Instant
Create two 1/1 white Warrior creature tokens with vigilance.
//
End {2}{B}
Sorcery
Aftermath
As an additional cost to cast End, sacrifice a creature.
Destroy target creature

Gosh, this is pretty cute. And delirium is a theme in my {W/B} section as well. Guess I have to run this, don't I? :)

I was just posting on MTGS about Glorious End. Hard to evaluate. Might be really good though. It's a counter spell in red for a beatdown deck trying to hold off an opponent. Wait for them to cast something then play this. Imagine hitting a finisher or Sphinx's Rev or a wrath? Now, you have to then win on your next turn but that is generally when you'd want to play a card like this.

I played Final Fortune for awhile, and it was super narrow but worked in a very specific deck. This feels similar but it has disruption as a key element (FF was not disruption). So it could be much better or it could just be too specific and not factor into enough games. I don't know. It probably needs testing.