anotak's cube (budget-ish)

CML

Contributor
i like mana leak, blue is a little weak in my cube sometimes so it fits in nicely.

4 rune snags is a cool idea. card only went out of fashion due to blue sucking AND getting snapcaster in modern...

added some cards, some proxies (especially fetches + shocks + wedgelands + planeswalkers).
i force drafted control. things seem better?

8 people sat down to draft, 2 had never drafted before, 2 left after round 1, 2 left after round 2. things didn't really go as planned. a bunch of weird stuff just came up for people I guess, idk. also, some of the decks got shuffled together while i wasnt looking. not really a good test but whatever.

here's some of the decks:
1-2, my deck, america control

america control

2-1, the best actual 3 game record, bant control

bant control

2-0 drop. i'm not sure if this one got mixed up at all, junk

Junk Reanimator

1-0 drop rdw. slightly too many 2 & 4 drops?

rdw

0-1 drop. this thing looks neat. considering doubling/tripling up on pod. bug pod

bug pod

had a 6 man. 1 new drafter that has never drafted before ever. its been difficult to get a full 8, its getting to the busy part of the semester for people also for whatever reason the typical cubers have been away from magic and we have mostly the edh crowd showing up. the new guy managed to mix two of the decks and some of the sideboards together unfortunately... one was WB dudes of some kind, i know it had a sin collector and a sun titan but i didnt play against it. i didnt play against the other deck either, the guy said it was 'green black mill' which is impossible, theres not a single mill card in my cube. especially not in green black. so i dont know what the hell he meant.

here's my post from the 3-0 thread that includes my 2-1 deck. the deck that 3-0'd was naya zoo, i was monored control.
had a 6man. oh man i wish for another 8 man. this beat my monored control in grand finals

naya zoo

nope i just got beat by attacking creatures

oh my god i just realized i misplayed horribly holy shit holy shit. i had lethal on board if i sac'd all my lands to gargadon and swung out but he had a creature to block so i decided not to
because he had only an
unleashed rakdos cackler
wow i suck

my 2-1 deck for reference:

monored control

1-1-drop, boros attacky dudes

boros

0-2 drop, 5c unburial-gifts-podstrosity

5c unburial-gifts-podstrosity

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Whatever you've done, it looks like you've solved your aggro problem. Those aggro decks look beastly!

Whatever you've done, it looks like you've solved your aggro problem. Those aggro decks look beastly!
yes, it definitely seems like it. i got a ton of good advice from y'all. this is sort of why ive been worried about dedicated control.

edit: (this and the midrange and ramp decks)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Interesting Naya Deck. How was imperious Prefect? I've always found her really slow and midrangey.
Has Fires of Yavimaya been good to you?

ive been putting off a full report of monday's cube because of yet again people shuffled together their decks and sideboards and i dont really know what is what. also we had an issue where somehow my Chameleon Colossus got put into a pack instead of a card that's actually in this cube because both are in blue sleeves (despite the cube being matte sleeves and the colossus being not). Ash Zealot went undrafted. The player in question ended up deciding to drop after round 1. im going to announce to everyone to not do this and let me get proper lists next time.
im sort of getting tired of my own cube i want to play another cube for a while, need to either finish and print out my loam cube or finish the mma-influenced cube im working on with my friend. or at least play my friend's peasant cube or my other friend's very unriptidey cube.

- best/worst/wtf play of the day: its turn 3, player B has out isamaru, plains plains mountain, player b has out 2 creatures that i forget. player A with no other lands in hand plays Chaos Warp on his own mountain. "uhhh, okay" says Player B. Player A shuffles up, while I watch confused too. Player A flips Angel of Serenity. too pro
- unlisted decks: chameleon colossus guy was bant control. there was a boros weenies deck, a RG aggro, an GW midrange with armada wurm, suture priest, some elves, mortarpod
- i started out in aggro and felt like i was getting cut off from it, turns out i was sitting by the izzet deck.
- there was a pack where i had to pick between precursor golem and shrine of burning rage. i might have to cut these for being too good because i was just looking at them and thinking "These are by far the best two cards in the whole cube"

from the 3-0 thread here's the izzet deck
this 3-0d an 8 person yesterday

izzet

jund #1, 2-1. i didnt get to play against this deck, but it went 1-2 against the izzet in grand finals.

jund 1

my deck:
Jund #2, 2-1, lost 0-2 to the izzet

Interesting Naya Deck. How was imperious Prefect? I've always found her really slow and midrangey.
Has Fires of Yavimaya been good to you?
perfect is ok, but slow as you said. it can really shine with other elves.
fires is just nuts

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
What kind of work has Seance done for you. I'm pushing the hell out of recursion in black, but I'd like some non-black cards that can act as enablers for creatures that want to be recurred.

What kind of work has Seance done for you. I'm pushing the hell out of recursion in black, but I'd like some non-black cards that can act as enablers for creatures that want to be recurred.
it has been cut (i really should update that cubetutor list).
it was really good when it actually fit into a deck, i got back precursor golems, shriekmaws, etc. the trouble was that it didn't go for a whole lot of decks so it wasn't widely sought after. if nobody was in a value reanimator deck featuring white then it was just going last pick. there are plenty of value reanimator decks in my cube, but i would still rather have cards more than one person wants. most of the times it was just in someone's sideboard because it wasnt good in their deck.

there are cubes where it might have a place but its not this one.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
sounds like its going to work out to me

throw in a few sac outlets, attrition and stuff so you can loop it harder. fleshbag marauder and whatnot as targets. plus w/ sac outlets if chainer gets removed you can sac everything in response to not have them completely exiled