General Blue creatures

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'm really partial to Aetherling myself, but after playing a blue control deck in a powered cube last weekend and finding that Aetherling was arguably the best card in my deck there, too, I'm wondering if it's a little much. The Meloku suggestions sound great - I'm generally not a fan of unbounded token spam, but in this case, the pack of 1/1 flyers might present a slightly less hopeless situation for the opponent than a literally unkillable, evasive shapeshifter.

Tangentially related to the topic, I actually disagree with the notion that blue control decks should be expected to win primarily with grizzly bears. While that might be how some games of Magic play out, I don't feel that supporting creatureless, draw-go blue control in cube is necessarily the best design. I suspect that the notion of having no win conditions in your blue control decks was borne of a different era of cube design, but even constructed control decks in the last half decade haven't borne much resemblance to the draw-go decks of old, save for one season where Nephalia Drownyard was a legitimate finisher. Expecting your control decks to have complete and utter mastery over the board state, such that any 2/2 flyer can polish off the opponent, can set the bar too high to be realistic, when other blue decks will be competing for and sniping the best counterspells, bounce, draw engines, and other spicy effects. I personally think it's important to give control tools to stop messing around and simply close out the game when it has partial but not overwhelming control of the battlefield, and Aetherling is one of the best tools in its arsenal to do that.

Whelk is very good with blink effects too. He's a little slow and telegraphed.

I've mentioned this before but someone should make a custom version with evoke. 0/0 with 1UU evoke would be a stellar card but not broken I don't think.

Aoret

Developer
Whelk is very good with blink effects too. He's a little slow and telegraphed.

I've mentioned this before but someone should make a custom version with evoke. 0/0 with 1UU evoke would be a stellar card but not broken I don't think.

EDIT: And you only get the +1/+1 counters if hard cast obviously.

Sounds like it works well in my environment. I may give that a whirl in place of Aetherling and report back. If that doesn't pan out, the Morphling plan seems pretty solid to me. Curious about Geralf's Masterpiece but unsure I want to try him out myself, will stay tuned for updates from people who do try it.

Sounds like it works well in my environment. I may give that a whirl in place of Aetherling and report back. If that doesn't pan out, the Morphling plan seems pretty solid to me. Curious about Geralf's Masterpiece but unsure I want to try him out myself, will stay tuned for updates from people who do try it.
Eager to see what you find! My formats a little slower, and I support blink too. Right now kind of a toss up between it and Morphling, and maybe some feedbacks will help :)

Hard control finisher you say?

Probably not good enough for most of you, but this fellow deserves a mention.

Enabling hard control becomes much easier when your counters double as the win-cons.

I think it's really good actually, it was too annoying so i cut it back in the day :D
If you are ahead, with that guy in hand you are REALLY ahead..

Guess it's fine because it costs 6 mana, but it happens really often that you realize losing to that card...

I love whelk as a finisher who did something entering the battlefield while your opponent is still able to interact with it.
I also love the typical time spiral reference to an older card (Mana Drain) while having a classy-looking artwork.