Card/Deck Bonfire of the Damned

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
In my experience, the card just endlessly tables. Not a lot of decks are interested in this effect.

With two or three Brainstorms, I suspect there could be more powerful things a blue control deck wants to do.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm running quad Brainstorm currently, so the environment seems substantially different. I'm okay with it not getting played, but I really like cards that create some drafting dependencies. Maybe you pick it up end of Pack 1 and take Brainstorms more aggressively from then. That sort of thing.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Image.ashx

In what world is this a card?

I want to really like it and it has cool art, but would prob only work in a lower powered slower cube. Along a similar vein:

Both interesting and very fair but not going to stand up to other more powerful faster cards without huge amounts of manipulating the top of the deck.

Well we love miracles and rude bullshit over here in small doses, so we like Bonfire of the Damned. It swings games pretty dramatically sometimes, that's true, but I'd say that over here it has at least a 75% hard-cast rate, which makes it feel a bit less gross. I do consider cutting it from time to time because it can be pretty gross, but due to our use of the Glimpse format (which allows the removal of cards from the draft), we encounter it infrequently enough that it remains tolerable and amusing rather than abusive.

CML

Contributor
i'm not sure bonfire is all that great in our cubes. consider the inbred meta it came from: dork wars. i'm not even sure how good terminus is without a few build arounds.

all this suggests that you should definitely include these cards

Speaking of which, how close is this to a win more bonfire for durdly midrange decks? I want to try it out just to give a nudge to big red decks but, it might be a bit too dumb.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, and? It's a win more? Run it, don't run it?

I would say, don't run it, it's a win more. Imagine their best creature is a 5/5 and yours is a 4/4. You can wipe things away but they'll still be left with a 5/5 against your 4/4.

There are situations where this is good, but it's precisely that: situational. I wouldn't see myself including such a card in my final 40, or drafting it with any priority.