General [Brainstorming] Vintage Cube

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
tinker cheats can work w/ reanimator and show and tell to be less poisonous but idk how big a deal those 2 things are in vintage

They don't have to be a big deal in Vintage so long as they work at the appropriate power level / design of our cube.

CML

Contributor
i think you can run like 16 FoW in the 360, the things is nobody wants _too_ many.

quick, what's the card most frequently pitched to Force?

I guess I'll say this again. My combo cube is going to have a large portion of what you're looking for.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I'll say this again. My combo cube is going to have a large portion of what you're looking for.

Didn't you see the other thread? I have to dump on people's ideas and then claim them as my own. :)

Okay, I'll take a look.

Laz

Developer
Casts Death or Glory (or other suitably obscure Reanimate)

I have been thinking about this a bit lately, and I want a Cube environment where Moxen are fun (ok, Moxen are fun to play virtually all the time, but I mean, where Moxen create fun gamestates).

How does a 'Pack of Power!' sound, an initial pack of 8 cards that contains all of the stupidly above the curve cards? With 8 drafters, that is 64 cards, and each player receives 8 power cards. This is probably way too many, but if we are going Vintage, insanity is to be expected. If 3-4 is better, I am not sure how to draft this. Utility lands style (Rotisserie) seems non-optimal, since the colours and cards you see should probably shape your deck, given that I intend this as first pack.

Something like:
3x Sets of Moxen (works out to ~2 Moxen per player)
A couple of Lotus, Sol Ring

The real question is, what do we put in the rest of the pack? Ancestral? Time Walk? Past the fast mana cards, what other general awesome things go in here that will shape decks? Combo pieces like Oath of Druids? Enablers like Hurkyl's Recall? If we start going that direction, then what will people draft from the main cube?

I think I need to consider what type of game we are looking for. Vintage is somewhat typified by every deck having a combo that just ends the game, and that seems fine, but difficult to incorporate into a Cube. Do we want to focus on Combo finishers? When should the critical turn be? How do control decks operate (draw all of the cards, Force everything? Mana Drain into Stupidity)?

I am interested in seeing some more thoughts on this, but raising the discussion up to 'what sort of things should decks be doing?'

I'll be curious to see how WotC's take on this (Vintage Masters) turns out. Modern Masters was pretty good, but felt too archetype-driven. At the Vintage power level, I hope we get more of the spontaneous deck-building of cube, but with multiples.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
That blue deck looks like pretty much everything I ever want to be doing in a game of magic the gathering. Flipping delver with ancestral recall has got to be a great feeling.