General (BRO) The Brother's War Spoilers

teethingwurmlet.jpg
200w.gif

View attachment 7725
Hostile Negotiation 3B
Instant
Exile the top three cards of your library in a pile face down, then exile the top three cards of your library in another pile face down. Look at the cards and turn a pile of your choice face up. Target opponent chooses a pile. Put that pile into your hand and the other pile into your graveyard. You lose 3 life.

Okay so it's instant speed Ambitions Cost, but with a game.

Notes:
-Locking in the size of each pile, and the contents of each pile I think is a huge benifit over fact or fiction.
-Half hidden info is much cooler than all face up (or all face down, though I don't think that's been done?)
-This puts the mind games front and center, which I think is a great place for this style of card. (What do you do when one pile is just 3 lands? What about 2 lands and an impactful spell vs 2 marginal spells and a land? vs 3 marginal spells?)

Now I just need to see weather my format wants bulk draw spells like this in the first place, and weather we can afford to be losing 3 life.

This is pretty great. Going to the graveyard is so so much stronger in black

Recommission is pretty sweet, isn't it? I like that they're pushing Tiny Reanimator in colors other than Black.

discipleofcaelusnin.jpg

This is an interesting board wipe. I'm not sure how functional it is, outside of multiplayer, but it's certainly interesting.

Now I just need to see weather my format wants bulk draw spells like this in the first place, and weather we can afford to be losing 3 life.
My problem with giving this card a home is that we just got Shadow Prophecy and while that only gives you two cards and never sees all six it's also a mana and a life cheaper (and hitting two basic land types is easy enough for me to just be like, "it's cheaper, screw it")

Yeah that's a great little cog for a lot of things. Even without unearth this is quite a bit better than fissure wizard; with this you have a nice little later-game outlet if you draw into junk or just want/need to pitch something. Any discard outlet that can be activated/played from the GY itself is quite valuable in certain situations.

Last edited:
Its intended purpose is powerstone-washing, I assume. But it can also do a halfassed convoke impression! I do agree that when we literally just had Argivian Phalanx I don't really see anything to write home about in terms of power level at common, or really power level at all.

What am I missing? It's a 4/4 for {4}{W} or {3}{W} and tap an artifact or creature, or {2}{W} and tap two artifacts or creatures. Doesn't seem particularly exiting?

It has a new requirement/other variant of requirements to cast.

It kind of has both a high MV, also kind of has convoke, also kind of has improvise. It’s just a cool mix we haven’t seen before.

Its intended purpose is powerstone-washing, I assume. But it can also do a halfassed convoke impression! I do agree that when we literally just had Argivian Phalanx I don't really see anything to write home about in terms of power level at common, or really power level at all.

I certainly wasn’t talking about power level. A card never gets more ‘cool’ if it is powerful and created to sell packs.

It doesn't look like I will get the prototype card of my dreams.
According to MaRo,

Evidently, they didn't use the Bolas' Citadel tech in these decks to feel more retro. Personally, I like the retro artifact frame with a colored text box for colored artifacts, but I think this decision is also understandable.
I don't know how convincing I find his statement to be. Making an artifact without the artifact-frame also feels anti-retro to me, and I'm not really given the impression this was a decision weighted by any meaningful amount of research. Was there some outrage over the Bolas's Citadel I missed out on? And just from a gameplay perspective, I think it's a very poor idea to make two artifact-centric commanders, and then include a significant number of colored artifacts and then obscuring that they are artifacts. I'm aware that old-border fans are disproportionally resistant to change, but colored artifacts are already a deviation from older designs, I don't think we can treat the old border as completely immutable. If we ever get old-border sagas, I don't want them to strap on the straightjacket and find a way to force it into the old border.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
What am I missing? It's a 4/4 for {4}{W} or {3}{W} and tap an artifact or creature, or {2}{W} and tap two artifacts or creatures. Doesn't seem particularly exiting?
The last one is the most exciting. I underestimate the power of ven lox to this day, and this doesn't add counters, but you can tap like, clues.