General (BRO) The Brother's War Spoilers

Not seeing it.

heroofthedunes.jpg

I'm not sure how to feel about this card.

If this were at 4 MV, it'd be one of my favorite cards of the decade.

gq4qrxusrhx91.jpg
This seems absurd if you have any sort of sacrificing theme. Frankly, if it connects once in its buffed form I feel it's put in enough work for a one-drop. Unlike Monastery Swiftspear, you can't stack the buff, so it'll never combo kill, but it's a neat card regardless.

At {G}{G} it's basically a rampant growth that is probably grabbing a fetch or something (depending on your lands in hand situation; it's not actually ramping you, but is grabbing a land you otherwise wouldn't be playing). And swinging for a couple points.

Rampant growth isn't the best analogy... It plays you a land card you otherwise wouldn't have had (and swings)

persistentbehemoth.jpg

Other than recurring Strip Mine, is there really any good use to a single-use Crucible? Honest question

It's a slightly wacky design. I've been thinking on this very question, and the best I could come up with was a big one turn play with Fastbond and either a fetchland or a full graveyard. More than likely it will get back a manland or some other utility land. It'd be fun to mill through your deck, unearth this, and play a Shelldock Isle from the graveyard or a Volrath's Stronghold.

Ultimately, I think the unearth should be treated as iciing on the cake. The 7 toughness saving it from Wildfire or Devastating Force and being an artifact to weld back into play or fair-Tinker into is where the real value is at. I'm not sure that's enough to make the cut in my cube. It would've been great if it had Reach or a little something extra to put it over the top...mill ETB? something.

Pretty strong. Does the Mishra's Workshop thing of being able to block and then pump, but also has that 'trick' on the attack.

autonomousassembler.jpg

Big fan of this. I love modal cards. This is both a nice early game play and a potential finisher, plus it's an artifact creature that places counters.

Yeah, this might have a home in my cube. A reasonably aggressive artifact body with blink upside. I don't support +1/+1 counters as a subtheme yet, but we are getting close to a density of support that it will soon allow it to be as seamless of an include as the artifact subtheme at higher power levels.

b1gxchgxrlx91.jpg

Okay, fine, maybe soldier tribal can be a thing. This seems okay as a Siege-Gang Commander/Sling-Gang Lieutenant-style gateway tribal card, and can maybe break open board stalls late game by dropping this, drawing two cards immediately, and being able to break parity (if you design your cube to have that density of soldiers, caveat caveat caveat, etc.). I kind of hate that Blue is getting lots of stats for cheap, but maybe that's just a better way for magic to evolve rather than keeping Blue the province of Snapcaster-alike spells on wimpy bodies. Still, it's a change for sure.

aOB2ShssS60yDGPS7E0xx7bB-s0_ZH-ToZZcIjo6JOc.png

I'm going to lock in my vote for this as the worst flavor text in the set. And it would have been completely fine had they left out the little laugh!! WotC kills me sometimes.

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1667406886843.png
You want a weird hybrid between Linvala, Keeper of Silence and Najeela, the Blade-Blossom? (Which, if you've never played with Najeela it's real powerful. The tokens make tokens. Yes this only makes tokens when it attacks, I get it, but it still has the doubling effect)

1667407068849.png
Man I remember when this would have felt necessary but now I know how to design cubes.
Still neat though, simple. I like it.

Ladies and gentlemen, the first noncreature, non-vehicle artifact that has flying:

1667417255900.png

I quite like it. It's a spells payoff, a finisher for control, including wildfire.dec, and you'd probably jam it in an artifact deck as well.

Levitating Statue is such a sweet design.

Like, they could've just made it so that the ability turned it into a 1/1 with flying, but just giving the artifact flying means it works well with other stuff and it makes it easier to parse what the card does.

powerstoneengineer.jpg

An unassuming little common, but I think there's a lot of power hiding there. A Powerstone isn't nearly a Wastes but it's not that far off if you're already an artifacts-matter cube. (obviously weaker to get it on die than on etb but you're paying for the 1W 2/1)

It's a 2/3 for {1}{G} that can make a 6/6 with Haste for {3}{G}{G}... or it's a 5/5 for {5} that can make a 15/15 with Haste for {3}{G}{G}.

Is a 15/15 with haste worth {8}{G}{G}? I kinda think it is.