General (BRO) The Brother's War Spoilers

View attachment 7710

Well hello there. A Pegasus Courser with flash is a big upgrade to that card and would probably be playable on its own, and having the ability to either save something or just buff this critter gives it a ton of flexibility. It seems strong for a synergy card, but in a good way--you have to make decisions between several modes to get the most out of it, and I'm happy for those cards to be the more-powerful ones. I'll be testing this and I think you should consider doing the same if you like Blue tempo to play a role in your cube.

Also, it's a modal card without a menu. Thank goodness.
If this card didn't have the last sentence, I'd love it. Still a cool card.

alloyanimist.jpg

This is pretty neat mana sink.
It's nice to see green getting in on artifacts more and more in recent years. Being the "we hate artifacts" color has been a downer for green in the past. Making a cube with an artifact theme across all five colors is more and more possible. I think the card selection is still a little spotty in places, but it's something I'm going to keep an eye on.

steelseraph.jpg

Seraph in the House said:
Seraph in the House {6}
Artifact Creature - Angel
Prototype: {1}{W}{W} 3/3 (You may cast this spell with different mana cost, color, and size. It keeps its abilities and types.)
Flying
At the beginning of combat on your turn, choose flying, vigilance, or lifelink. Target creature you control gains that ability until end of turn.
6/6

awakenthewoods.jpg

Awaken the Woods
XGG
Sorcery
Create X 1/1 green Forest Dryad land creature tokens.

I am weirdly attracted to this card. I already like mana sinks in Green to play with Earthcraft and friends, and this is both an enabler and payoff. Then you have the random landfall triggers this can provide. Lotus Cobra for more mana, Tireless Tracker for cards, Courser of Kruphix for life and Valakut Exploration for damage. Maybe you jam a Hedron Crab for some self-mill too? Or build a sacrifice deck with Titania, Protector of Argoth.
The tokens being lands open up a lot of fun synergies, enough to have my gears turning!

Last edited:
This is the only colored artifact previously printed in the old frame, and they invented a "hybrid" frame for it. They could have easily reused this approach for these Commander decks and have the colored artifacts be a little more recognizable! I'm not bad because I don't care about old border reprints*, but if I did, I would be annoyed at the very least.
witness the power of putting in the bare minimum of effort
KyTCHhh.png

Awaken the Woods is pretty funny. It feels like Green is getting some really silly land-related goodies in this set. "Oops all Dryad Arbor tokens", "Unearth a 2/7 Ramunap Excavator for {G}{G}", and "all my lands are basic lands" all fill me with joy.

awakenthewoods.jpg

Awaken the Woods
XGG
Sorcery
Create X 1/1 green Forest Dryad land creature tokens.

I am weirdly attracted to this card. I already like mana sinks in Green to play with Earthcraft and friends, and this is both an enabler and payoff. Then you have the random landfall triggers this can provide. Lotus Cobra for more mana, Tireless Tracker for cards, Courser of Kruphix for life and Valakut Exploration for damage. Maybe you jam a Hedron Crab for some self-mill too? Or build a sacrifice deck with Titania, Protector of Argoth.
The tokens being lands open up a lot of fun synergies, enough to have my gears turning!

Yep. There's a reason I love the new frame. As much as people may get nostalgic over the "fantasy"-ness of the old frame (and to be fair, it get that), it's undeniable that the new frame is much, much better at communicating what kind of card you are looking at. The border's clearer, and the text is way more legible. What's worse though is that this card exists:

F63B9646-5DC8-41FC-92D2-1925F25ACA7F.jpeg

This is the only colored artifact previously printed in the old frame, and they invented a "hybrid" frame for it. They could have easily reused this approach for these Commander decks and have the colored artifacts be a little more recognizable! I'm not bad because I don't care about old border reprints*, but if I did, I would be annoyed at the very least.

*Instead I'm now annoyed that Sanwell, Avenger Ace isn't available in the new border :)
witness the power of putting in the bare minimum of effort
KyTCHhh.png
According to MaRo,
MaRo said:
The challenge with the retro frames is feeling retro. Adding elements that didn’t exist feels anti-retro to a lot of players who enjoy retro. Yes, there’s a functionality issue, but retro frames are full of issues there.
Evidently, they didn't use the Bolas' Citadel tech in these decks to feel more retro. Personally, I like the retro artifact frame with a colored text box for colored artifacts, but I think this decision is also understandable.

Re: Sanwell–
en_lXsdaIcplD.png

Had anyone ever actually had trouble reading a non-white old frame card?
The names, all the time. The text is fine. But we tell cards by art anyway, so it's more of an ugly thing when you're taking a picture with only the names revealed.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Rhystic Studies did a great video about this (shocking I know) a while back:
This is notably before the time we had new frames with each set, but a lot of what's here still makes sense

Basically every frame since alpha has sacrificed "looking like magic" in order to communicate information, except the (mostly hated) amonkhet invocations.
Alpha frames tell you jack shit, but do look like they were clipped out of an actual spellbook.
Modern base frames look like game objects, for better or for worse, but do a lot of heavy lifting in telling you what the card does. (Artifact/Enchantment/Vehicle frames, multicolor pinlines, watermarks, etc)