General (BRO) The Brother's War Spoilers

If anything it will be played in omniscience (EDH at least) decks to help dig for and cast actual omniscience. Most of the time the player needs to cast many free spells in one turn.

I mean, more power to the person who can support a Bard Class deck in Cube, but even I'm not that crazy.
I wish I could if only for those sick pants.
I'm split on prototype. I think the layout is godawful, but cards like Combat Thresher can act as great dual-archetype role players.
One part of the layout I really like is that wotc only has half of the text box to use.
I do think it's unfortunate that prototyping them is most often going to be the default, but that's not signaled very well.

simiansimulacrum.jpg

Return to Monke

1667241597139.png

Dreams of Steel and Oil

Sorcery

Target opponent reveals their hand. You choose an artifact or creature card from it, then an artifact or creature card from their graveyard. Exile both chosen cards.

=====

This is pretty interesting. Creature+Artifact hits about 57% of my cube, and exiling is very relevant.

View attachment 7692

Dreams of Steel and Oil

Sorcery

Target opponent reveals their hand. You choose an artifact or creature card from it, then an artifact or creature card from their graveyard. Exile both chosen cards.

=====

This is pretty interesting. Creature+Artifact hits about 57% of my cube, and exiling is very relevant.
This is a great card. Hits much more than
it can even be cast against an empty handed to remove something from the yard.

That's barely a dial back IMO. That second ability hits a surprising number of targets in some cubes. 25% of my white creature section is soldiers, for instance.

I do think it's a significant dial back, 2-drop vs 3-drop is a huge difference, even larger for these cards that snowball. I might try Siege Veteran, it might be on the high side of the power band for the Elegant Cube but I don't think it's warping like Luminarch Aspirant.

This is a great card. Hits much more than
it can even be cast against an empty handed to remove something from the yard.
Ostracize is fairly outdated for what it's worth, replaced by both Divest and Despise. The new discard spell still manages to be strictly better than the strictly better ostracize however, assuming you're not doing Dauthi Voidwalker or similar shenanigans.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1667262238432.png
This is I think a bit below where I like blue creatures, but it does grow and it does have some insurance.
I'm just generally not a huge fan of doomed traveler and the rest of this didn't move the needle for me. It might for you!

1667262322041.png1667262330776.png
Man why are they printing these after I cut +1/+1 counters from my cube and why are they 3s. There's already so many good 3s

1667262375075.png
This is creature or walker lava coil! I've even made joke cards about how all burn spells are "Here's 10 good things, choose 2", so I'm happy to see a choose 3 I wanted, since I opted for thundering rebuke up until now.

1667262452020.png
Eyyyyy mass abrade. This Also hits walkers, which could be good or bad for you, but I'm not sure it's an option we've had until now?
Thinking about Anger of the Gods, Slagstorm, Radiant Flames, Breath Weapon, Delayed Blast Fireball, etc etc.

1667262809733.png
This is interesting and probably worth talking about (despite the # of words). IDK if we're getting 10 of these, or even 5, but I like the "fixing + utility land" package here, and it left the one design weakness people hate about Celestial Colonnade: it had to ETB tapped.
It's obv a longshot that I'd use a tribal card like this but I love the package of what's going on here.

1667262983724.png
I find this card hilarious because it does kind of admit that indestructible isn't enough :p

1667263029346.png
This card is sweet, but it's more think twice than deep analysis since you get to cast one of the two cards.
Now artifact synergy think twice seems sweet, but it is possible you just want experimental synthesizer? VERY similar cards after all.

1667263189597.png
This unfortunately says "to hand"

1667263268122.png
Love that RKF is just back doing magic art apparently

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1667263305744.png
This might actually be something? I've made similar cards before and while those had bigger numbers, they played well enough and they didn't have firebreathing, so you can just swing for like 10 if this lives.

1667263357673.png
New art! I know most people just cut this for cut down but you know in your heart of hearts you should probably be playing both.
1667263467503.png
Yotian Frontliner
Artifact Creature - Soldier
Whenever Yotian Frontliner attacks, another target creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Unearth W (W: Return this card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step or if it would leave the battlefield. Unearth only as a sorcery.)

Maybe this has legs. It's isaumaru if you squint at it and forget it can be blocked, but it has unearth in white but maybe that adds up to what you want.

1667263567673.png
This is less cube interesting, but maybe someone out there in modern wants silence + tormod's crypt? It's worse than both those cards, but it is 1 card, and I hear bigger formats are all about crippling sideboard cards so IDK

1667263649919.png
Okay so I know this card looks cool, but we've run the numbers on Augur of Bolas before and they're really bad, and while instant or sorcery is worse than noncreature nonland, it's not the kind of swing that will change your mind.
That being said, at least this mills you for 3, where augur just said "Look at the bottom 3 cards of your library"

1667263029346.png

This card is sweet, but it's more think twice than deep analysis since you get to cast one of the two cards.
Now artifact synergy think twice seems sweet, but it is possible you just want experimental synthesizer? VERY similar cards after all.
I think the desk is a lot better from the red-card-draw angle because it says "until end of your next turn" compared to "until end of turn" (besides digging twice as deep). The synthesizer can be sacrificed by a third party effect for (more) value, but it's actual draw effect is still worse. You can't, for example, pop at end of opponents turn and play anything sorcery speed off the synthesizer. Or pop, find something big, wait a turn, then cast big thing.

I think partially comes down to "am I using this as a 'bauble' (synth) or am I using this as an actual draw piece that happens to be findable/sacable/recurrable/castable etc as an artifact (desk).

I think the desk is a lot better from the red-card-draw angle because it says "until end of your next turn" compared to "until end of turn" (besides digging twice as deep). The synthesizer can be sacrificed by a third party effect for (more) value, but it's actual draw effect is still worse. You can't, for example, pop at end of opponents turn and play anything sorcery speed off the synthesizer. Or pop, find something big, wait a turn, then cast big thing.

I think partially comes down to "am I using this as a 'bauble' (synth) or am I using this as an actual draw piece that happens to be findable/sacable/recurrable/castable etc as an artifact (desk).

Agreed wholeheartedly here. I'm absolutely jamming Mishra's Research Desk but couldn't quite get there on Experimental Synthesizer because it lacks the flexibility the Desk provides.

Two points that I also want to emphasize about the second ability on top of its ability to hold the cards "in hand" for an extra turn: 1) costing {1} less goes a long way in impulse kind of effects and 2) being able to jam it from self-mill opens its playability up considerably considering how looting-heavy my red decks can get. The red artifact decks in particular love to discard their hands and play around with the graveyard, and this will help communicate that to drafters.

tyrantofkherridges.jpg

I'm kind of surprised no one has brought this up yet. Shivan Dragon and Flametongue Kavu stapled together seems like a pretty cool card. I like this a lot more than other more complex versions of similar effects like Glorybringer.

I might not be playing this card in my Cube, but it's the type of clean, flavorful design I like.

I actually do like this more than Glorybringer from a gameplay and complexity perspective, but it fights against my efforts to lower the Cube's overall CMC. Also the Glorybringer promo art is sweet; it's not often I'll opt for the full-art foil promo.

View attachment 7709
Okay so I know this card looks cool, but we've run the numbers on Augur of Bolas before and they're really bad, and while instant or sorcery is worse than noncreature nonland, it's not the kind of swing that will change your mind.
That being said, at least this mills you for 3, where augur just said "Look at the bottom 3 cards of your library"

I will cube this. If it doesn't work out, it's a 2-mana Armored Skaab, which is a good fail case, much better than Augur of Bolas. And when it works, it's a slightly better Wall of Omens, mostly because it mills you. Considering how this thing synergizes with spells matter, selfmill and blink, I feel like I have to test it.

domz4xp6rcx91.jpg

Well hello there. A Pegasus Courser with flash is a big upgrade to that card and would probably be playable on its own, and having the ability to either save something or just buff this critter gives it a ton of flexibility. It seems strong for a synergy card, but in a good way--you have to make decisions between several modes to get the most out of it, and I'm happy for those cards to be the more-powerful ones. I'll be testing this and I think you should consider doing the same if you like Blue tempo to play a role in your cube.

Also, it's a modal card without a menu. Thank goodness.

Last edited: