General Build Arounds - new angles to your draft

People define build-arounds very differently. For some, they are just cards, that can work as signposts or payoffs for an archetype. I for one prefer a little more strict definition. For the sake of this thread, lets agree on some characteristics:

- It completely shapes the way you draft and build your deck
- Your deck would not be the same deck if you take the card(s) out
- You’d be happy to have a tutor or a second copy or similar card for redundancy
- You’d name your deck after the card

One famous example, that sees play in many different cubes would be Wildfire. A wildfire deck without wildfire might work with good cards, but doesn’t do the same. Most cube managers include other cards for redundancy, wether it is Burning of Xinye, Destructive Force or just a second copy of Wildfire. Also, people draft „the Wildfire Deck“, which would just become a pile of good midrange/control stuff if you take out the namesake card(s).

I really like cards like this, especially when they are easy to support with stuff you have in your cube to some degree anyway. They create new archetypes with using up minimal space. Here are the ones I’m happily running:

Drake Haven works nicely with the looters I have in blue anyway and also with all the madness enablers in red and green

Laboratory Maniac ist he initiative for the most reckless selfmill deck in my cube, works with all that stuff in black, green and blue to some degree, as well as with the nice mechanic of drawing cards

Upheaval works with having a lot of mana and a sense for diabolic evilness

Living Death combins nicely with dredge and even better with sacrifice, which is mostly black and red wit a bit of white in my cube. Also likes value dudes with nice EtBs.

Demonic Pact has some synergy with aggro and lifegain, but is best with some form of enchantment removal. Or, even better, with stuff that blinks enchantments like Flickerwisp or Teferi’s Time Twist

And Wildfire is still great with mana rocks and stuff that breaks the symetrie
Destructive Force is the reason I don’t use toughness 5+ creatures as finishers, but rather cards like Tuk-Tuk, the Explorer or Epochrasite

As it is, I am always open for more build-arounds. Which do you run? Which can you recommend? I am curious to hear! :)

Also, from the new set:

This version of Everythingamajig has been in my cube for a while, and it hasn't done much yet, but is pretty sweet on paper:
439643.jpg

You can pretty easily tutor for Magus of the Balance with it, as 'of' and 'the' are very common. Then, right before activating it, sac any excess creatures or lands and discard excess cards with the conditional tutor (as you can always "fail" such a search by not revealing a card), ensuring that the scales tip in your favor. Someday, I'll wake up, but for now dreams of Magical Christmasland have kept this card in.

Laz

Developer
Hmm... given your definition of a build-around, the first thing that comes to mind is this:

Definitely shapes the way you draft, build your deck, and results in your deck transforming from Wx Aggro to 'Humans'.

Probably more classically, I have these cards in my deck:

These are typically responsible for changing control decks to 'Artifact Control'.

Then the classic one:

Alongside Braids, forms an archetype that is definitely an acquired taste. Totally understand why people might shy away from this one, but in my list, where every deck is somewhat forced to play to the board (or at least, they tend to do so, I actually increased the power of my spell-based answers recently, but I don't know if my drafters have caught on yet), it generally has a bit more play to it than it looks.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Then the classic one:

Alongside Braids, forms an archetype that is definitely an acquired taste. Totally understand why people might shy away from this one, but in my list, where every deck is somewhat forced to play to the board (or at least, they tend to do so, I actually increased the power of my spell-based answers recently, but I don't know if my drafters have caught on yet), it generally has a bit more play to it than it looks.

I am that person. I first pick Braids and Smokestack! Love the archetype!

Also, from the new set:

This one is really interesting. I don't want to include a 5-color domain archetype, but having a single build around seems like it could bring more variance into drafts with ease. I once had this guy in my cube:

He didn't got drafted a lot, but I could see bringing him back alongside Golos for redundancy. That would be 2 slots for a completely new archetype. Did anyone try something like this?

Also, I know that someone around here tried this card out. I would like to hear if it worked as well. And am i right that you need Flame Jab for it?

Reactions: dbs
I'm really fond of Wildfire.

What I like about the card is that it gives Red the opportunity to play a control role instead of the usual combination of aggression and burn. This adds depth to the cube, and the gameplay as a whole because there are now more options and more directions to take the same cards. And this depth extends not just to Red, but other traditionally aggressive combinations like WR and BR.

Futhermore, the card doesn't have very strict requirements. You need the following:

1) Two copies of Wildfire
2) Some finishers or cards to win after Wildfire. It doesn't have to be 5-toughness creatures, something as simple as Chimeric Idol works.
3) Some sort of artifact acceleration

The first is obvious, the second can be done with just some tweaking and the third, while a bit controversial, I think helps supports other interesting archetypes like Artifacts in red that are worth thinking about.

I like Crater Hellion but it doesn't repalce Wildfire. In fact, it works well with Wildfire because it survives it and wipes the board when it comes down. It's also a good, but not broken, card for Sneak Attack and Reanimator.

I really think you need two copies of Wildfire (or Devasting Dreams or other similar cards) for the archetype to shine. If you only run one, your chances of seeing the archetype come together drop quite harshly. It's not just a matter of not having two copies, it's also the matter of not seeing a copy early enough for you to build around it. It's rare to have a deck that can support Wildfire if you see it pack 3, after all.

I think the highest power version of Wildfire is this card in my experience, because it leaves absolutely no way back for you opponent(s).

If you combine it with some kind of finisher that doesn't die to it (Tuktuk the Explorer, Chimeric Mass) it works out like a 2-card win combo almost. It was so strong I cut it after testing and stuck to just Wildfire+Destructive Force. They feel strong but fair and also different. One is cheaper but the other kills more threats the opponent might have.

I play it. You can either go

Sac creature combo (viscera seer good here)
Cycling creature dump and death
Self mill reanimator

Will try and find/draft a deck for you.

i don't think it works that much as a build around, since it doesn't really give you that much reward for filling your graveyard. It is more a good stuff value card.

I'm looking forward to it @Alfonzo :)

Ways to find twilight's call: ransack the lab, dark bargain, final parting, geier reach sanctum, key to the city
Other ways to take advantage of cyclers: vile manifestation, foul Renewal, see the unwritten
Other ways to get creatures in the bin: key to the city, Undead gladiator, corpse conneuiser,

Prob wants a bit more removal but a pretty good looking deck.