Sets [C14] Commander 2014 Spoilers

Dom Harvey

Contributor
This is neat, if narrow:

B1Ic219CQAAp8Iz.jpg

holy crap that's vintage LORWYN ART

*swoon*

i didn't know these badass flamekin elementals lived in quaint little hobbit-style villages... the part of the story where they chill with Bilbo was lost on me back in the day
Yeah it's probably the cutest thing ever and it's absolutely playable!

The weird wrath seems like you could definitely build a cube where it was something you would like to do.

How far to go with trinket/tinker/welder is a really good question.
Personally I find Auriok Salvagers + Spellbomb horrible in tribal formats and entertaining in cube (initial human tribal decks were trinket mage decks).

I'm superstoked that they're using all this new designspace since it looks more like wizard decided to print some brainstorming from a custom card thread rather than sit down and build some clunky retail set, in the sense that there are so many fun cards. (How many dollars are you going to bet on some people still complaining that wizards are printing EDH gargbage?)

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I'm the first person to complain about Wizards printing EDH garbage, but there's been refreshingly little of it in this set.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Even the blue lieutenant seems reasonable, which is strange considering it has a keyword that doesn't even work outside of EDH. Compare with Benthic Giant. Lots of interesting designing. I mean, there is plenty of EDH garbage (Offerings, other Lts, Assault Suit, Commander's sphere, Blood Feud, etc), but there is so much sweet stuff that to complain about it would just seem petty.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
may i also say that the artwork in this set is, by and large, phenomenal

feldonofthethirdpath.jpg
titaniaprotectorofargoth.jpg

i mean it's no lorwyn art, but, what is

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
This set ALMOST has me considering trying to work in an artifact theme, but there are still two huge factors in the way:

1) Artifacts are colorless, which makes it hard to include them inside my narrow color pie
2) I run every other theme imaginable, so I probably can't fit it in.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
As someone who doesn't run pod, I never think about how podable a card is, but you know, you're right, this thing is really poderific.