General CBS

I've got an idea for an article percolating right now and I'm looking for "dense" cards to cover. I want to deepdive into what makes a dense card good for cube. Currently I'm going to be writing about these three:

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Either cut the mono commanders or allow mono to add a second color. The latter could be spicy.

I'm not sure how that affects the math, exactly, but it eliminates the 693 card scenario.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Just abandon the colour identity concept altogether. It's a somewhat arbitrary relic of EDH from a decade ago that doesn't translate well into Limited and only serves to constrain players' options

For more dense cards:

Player constraints is what makes games fun :) Universally! Golf wouldn’t be fun if you could pick up the ball and walk it all the way to the hole and drop it in :D We constrain the players by telling them they may only use weird shaped clubs to transport the ball with. Same goes for Magic and EDH.

The reason why the color constraints are fun in my format is because we wish to push players to switch colors of their decks several times throughout the tournament. This means they’ll have to construct their deck again but with a new Commander and in new colors because of those restraints.

After a player wins a game he will no longer keep the winning commander but will instead get a random new one. The player will at all points in time have access to several commanders.

I don’t think I should worry about someone getting 3 monocolored Commanders of the same color when there are only 4 in each mono color and 180 Commanders in total. Right? And I guess if it happens once in our lifetime then we can simply give that player the option to cycle one of his Commanders.

Or you have 6 piles of commanders, 5 monocolor ones and one multicolored. Pick a 20 sided die, 1 and 2 are white, 3 and 4 are blue, and so on. 11 to 20 are multicolored. The first two are with a die, for the third the player keeps throwing until the player gets a pile he did not get with the first 2 throws. When the player gets a new one the player is allowed to skip a pile beforehand. E.g. the player does not want white and throws a 2, then he throws again until he does not throw a 1 or 2. Adjust the numbers to your liking.

Is any part of this double cycle worth cubing? I once built a casual GW aggro/midrange deck focused around the White and Green guys (plus Loam Lion and Hedge Troll) that I remember with some fondness, but I'm worried that there isn't enough critical mass once you take away the ability to play with 4-ofs.

They are effectively gold cards, so though they are fine and I've considered running many of them, ultimately there is so much interesting stuff to run on gold slots that these get sort of sidelined.

They are nice designs though, have great stats, are mana sinks, and somewhat mitigate the "oh no I only drew forests" problem of gold cards. If you're making a core set or simple cards cube, definitely consider them.

That's pretty much what I expected, to be honest.

Quick 180 - if I errata'd my cube so that all Instants and Sorceries are Arcane, are there any Kamigawa cards that go from "not worth it" to "interesting"? I'm looking at this cycle in particular:

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Flinthoof Boar is one of the strongest (if uninspiring) aggro cards you can run. I'd say it's even deceptively strong. The ability for a card to be either a 2-drop or a 3-drop massively improves the consistency of an aggro deck's output.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I've struggled to make any theme work in UR in a way that connects well with the rest of my Cube. Spells matter, artifacts - none of it seems to come together for me. I wish Goblin Welder wasn't such a trap!

I used to love making UR tempo decks:

Super fun to play, just keep them on the back foot and kill them with one or two creatures. It plays nicely with some spells-matter cards, but they're not essential.

On scryfall you have to type "ci=ub" instead of "c=ub", then you'll get everything that fits that color identity, like Jorubai Murk Lurker.

That's pretty much what I expected, to be honest.

Quick 180 - if I errata'd my cube so that all Instants and Sorceries are Arcane, are there any Kamigawa cards that go from "not worth it" to "interesting"?
There are a few mediocre cards which become pretty good when you can splice them on to anything:

Ooh, yeah, that's what I'm looking for.

Are any of the Spiritcraft cards any good? I've always been fond of this guy:

But I'm not sure that it'd be good even if it triggered off of any instant or sorcery.

But I'm not sure that it'd be good even if it triggered off of any instant or sorcery.
If it were a different color it could be good, but as it stands, green is not very likely to be playing a ton of instants and sorcery spells.

I think you're looking for cards more along the lines of:

Tallowisp also seems bad at 180 given the limited amount of space you'll have to fit in auras, however, it's much better at 360 where you can include a lot of aura-based removal spells without taxing your white section too heavily. Most of the "spiritcraft" cards are just not going to fit well into a non-dedicated environment even with "all spells are arcane" errata, unfortunately.

I actually wonder if the errata might be enough to make Green into a potential spell color? Like having RG spells, supported by...

(It's 1 in the morning here, so forgive me if any of these aren't that good :p)

EDIT: Some other cards that kinda stand out:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Remember that these also trigger on spirits. Depending on your power level, and the depth of your spiritcraft theme, there are definitely a few playables there.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Bant Spirits/Arcane could probably be a really fresh archetype at a lower power level. Even without errata.
Ideally you'ld want gold multicolored spirits in green to anchor that theme, but there aren't any playable ones I think in Bant colors. Though, Overbeing of Myth is a cool card! Oversoul of Dusk is just annoying with triple protection, and Storm Spirit and Phantom Nishoba are too expensive, I think. Though maybe they could sit at a truly lower power level cube with good fixing.

Is there an efficient way to search for sort-of multicolor cards like

without doing like o:word or o:word or or or...

I don't think there's a better way of doing it, sadly. You can get pretty close by searching for

Code:
ci=1 o:"you control a "

But then you still need to sort through stuff that wants you to control a Demon or a Wizard or whatever.

o:"you control a" -o:planeswalker -o:commander c=1
Yields a rather massive 334 cards. c over ci due to Flinthoof Boar etc, and because I didn't see anything lacking on c=2.

o:"you control a" -o:planeswalker -o:commander c=1 (o:white or o:blue or o:black or o:red or o:green or o:plains or o:island or o:swamp or o:mountain or o:forest)
Gets it down to 123 cards, but is a chore to type and still quite inaccurate.

We need a scryfall master.

EDIT: I dunno how to not have it do :p faces, so I'm leaving them :p