General CBS

wouldn't you say it makes sense breaking this rule for cards with a higher cmc? Angel of Invention looks so much better than Sling-Gang Lieutenant on paper, but my cube is going to end up faster than most limited environments, and there are going to be at least some wrath effects in it, especially full sweepers starting with cmc 5, so I'd say there are actually reasons why Angel of Invention isn't strictly better, or even a clearer pick than the lieutenant.

With my rule of the tight power band, I want to avoid having format-defining bombs/spoilers, since that's what actually killed limited for a lot of people I know (one of the reasons I won't run any planeswalkers). My biggest concern with breaking this rule would be shifting the fight over bombs just to a higher cmc overall, but having it nonetheless.

it's btw not only the angel I think about (re)adding to my cube, another prominent example would be Dream Eater, a card I really, really like, but that's also kinda strong compared to what other cards in my cube can do, but it's also six mana and, just like the angel, weak to a lot of removal, but coming with some instant value.

maybe that's something that is very clear to a lot of people here, but I actually find that to be an interesting topic, and since I want to create a great limited experience with my cube, I also find this to be an important thing to consider.

It's a great topic and I really liked this Lucky Paper Radio episode about it!

You can craft an environment where bombs they don't have a particularly high win rate. In Kaldheim draft, the bombiest creature, Koma, Cosmos Serpent, has only a 59.4% winrate when maindecked and a 71.5% winrate when drawn (data from 17lands.com). Note the average win rate of all cards there is ~54% (because the population who uploads data is better on average than the whole population), so it's more like a 56% winrate when maindecked and 67% when drawn. Definitely a bomb, but what feels bad about the card isn't its winrate, it's the lack of agency.

In situations where nothing can be done about the bomb, it feels like the game is pointless. Cube is a game where you draft a deck, build it, and play it. When someone opens a bomb, they just have to draft the bomb (and they renounce other cards for it, but it's fine because that is objectively the best pick), maindeck it (which does not require anything), draw it, and play it in not too precarious position. It's not a lot of effort, and when I play bombs I do not feel accomplished or happy or excited. It gave me no choice - I just did what I had to do, and if the opponent can't do anything about it, the game is over. If they can, the game continues.

If a card costs a lot more mana than one car usually spend in an environment, then even a balanced win rate for that card might feel bad. Let's say in a cube, Koma has a 60% drawn win rate (which is very reasonable being a 7-drop), with a 80% cast win rate.

30% of the time, you can't cast Koma and the other player wins, it makes you feel bad that you couldn't cast it and might make the other player happy that they closed to game fast enough that they dodged a bullet. There might have been choices involved, like the opponent playing more aggressively because they knew, but a lot of the time, it's just random.
20% of the time, you can't cast Koma but you win regardless. Koma feels like dead weight, and it reduced your options because it was uncastable.
40% of the time, you cast Koma and win the game. Some games with it might be interesting to you and to your opponent, but from your opponent's point of view, they are putting up a good fight against something broken. In other situations, it's just a thing that outright wins and gives you a huge payoff for simply reaching 7 mana.
10% of the time, you cast Koma, but your opponent wins. These can be really memorable experiences - either because they had to make spectacular plays to beat it, or because they had something even stronger, but if it's because they had exile-based removal, they had to use it and there were no choices involved.

My point is that in all cases, Koma usually has a negative impact on the overall gameplay experience, and the redeeming quality is when there is a fight over it. When your opponent keeps attacking and killing tokens, but they have to be way ahead for that to happen, and it is a very specific and rare board state.

Would you ever cube a spell that's 8BB Sorcery: Win the game? How about 5BB 6/6 Creature: When ~ attacks, you win the game? These are not very interesting, and we've been getting a ton of cards that say "win the game" with other words. Adding these cards requires you to either accept they are power outliers and will take over a lot of games, or have high power removal to balance them, which puts pressure on the environment, making interactions harder to assemble and narrowing the selection of playable cards in your cube.

Some cards don't outright win, but they might generate so much value and tempo advantage at the same time that they are almost always the objectively best play, and there's, again, no choice involved. Magic is more interesting when you have to balance your development of card advantage and board position. Cards that do both offer little choice.

When I played Angel of Invention in Kaladesh limited, though it offers a choice to the player casting it, it's often obvious what is the right play given the board state, and takes away a lot of choices from the opponent. The lifelink + vigilance makes it impossible to race (one less option), the flying often makes it impossible to block (one less option), the team buff make it hard to ignoring it and go around it, and the possibility of making tokens makes it a value play even against removal. It synergizes with a lot of stuff on the block and doesn't ask for anything extra mana in return. It's beatable with removal, yes, but there's no choice involved there. The opponent either has removal and uses it, or doesn't have removal.

In an environment where a 5-drop is hard to cast because most games end at less than that, it might be ok, but that's such a high tempo environment that your card and archetype choices are very limited and variance is exacerbated. Every play needs to be impactful, and there's little time for setup. Synergies have to run with the game to be worth it. That's more or less analogous to Modern.

I'll add that lifelink is an ability I'm hesitant to use, due to its ability to easily win an aggro matchup on its own.
Many Planeswalkers suffer from this problem. If you can't protect it, you feel bad that you get no value. If you can, you often win.

Is there a way to search scryfall for, like, "has X pips"? Like, "pips=3" would get me all the cards with WWW, UUU, ... RGG, BRG, (R/W)(R/W)(R/W) etc. I know about m:www for all the triple white pips, but I'm wondering if there's something less specific.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Is there a way to search scryfall for, like, "has X pips"? Like, "pips=3" would get me all the cards with WWW, UUU, ... RGG, BRG, (R/W)(R/W)(R/W) etc. I know about m:www for all the triple white pips, but I'm wondering if there's something less specific.
There isn't. The best you are going to be able to do is a series of searches:
Code:
cmc=3 c>0 mana>0 -mana>1 -mana>2
cmc=4 c>0 mana>1 -mana>2 -mana>3
cmc=5 c>0 mana>2 -mana>3 -mana>4
cmc=6 c>0 mana>3 -mana>4 -mana>5
And so forth. (Technically the "mana>0" bit isn't needed for the cmc=3 search pattern, I included it to better show the pattern.) Unfortunately you can neither compare cmc to mana, nor include calculations in a comparison. (This is impossible even for attributes that can be compared, e.g. it's impossible to search for all cards that have a toughness exactly two higher than their power (at least as far as I'm aware), even though you can search for cards that have a toughness higher than their power.)

you can search by devotion, which broadens things a bit, but still sticks you into a certain slice of the pie:
Code:
devotion:{u/w}{u/w}{u/w} cmc:3
the above for example gives you a fairly broad selection of 3 pip cards in U and W, though mostly hybrid and monocolor. Doesn't do well with {R}{W}{W} etc., unless it's directly in that pair

In theory you can "or" ten sets of the above to get the entire color wheel? If scryfall allows you to use that many arguments.

EDIT: It times out when I try the whole block of devotion arguments lol. So maybe two searches with half the guilds each. My full block:
Code:
devotion:{w/b}{w/b}{w/b} cmc:3 or
devotion:{g/w}{g/w}{g/w} cmc:3 or
devotion:{u/w}{u/w}{u/w} cmc:3 or
devotion:{r/w}{r/w}{r/w} cmc:3 or
devotion:{u/g}{u/g}{u/g} cmc:3 or
devotion:{u/b}{u/b}{u/b} cmc:3 or
devotion:{u/r}{u/r}{u/r} cmc:3 or
devotion:{g/b}{g/b}{g/b} cmc:3 or
devotion:{r/g}{r/g}{r/g} cmc:3 or
devotion:{r/b}{r/b}{r/b} cmc:3

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
you can search by devotion, which broadens things a bit, but still sticks you into a certain slice of the pie:
Code:
devotion:{u/w}{u/w}{u/w} cmc:3
the above for example gives you a fairly broad selection of 3 pip cards in U and W, though mostly hybrid and monocolor. Doesn't do well with {R}{W}{W} etc., unless it's directly in that pair

I considered devotion before I gave my own answer, but the problem is it excludes instants and sorceries. So for example, "devotion:uuu" does find Cast Through Time, but it doesn't find Archmage's Charm. Another problem is that "devotion:uuu" also finds something like Dominus of Fealty, which isn't helpful when you're looking for cards that have exactly 3 blue pips, but that's easily fixed by using "devotion=uuu" instead if you are indeed looking for permanents only.

Behold, perfection!

Code:
m<WWWUUUBBBRRRGGG{W/U}{W/U}{W/U}{W/B}{W/B}{W/B}{U/B}{U/B}{U/B}{R/W}{R/W}{R/W}{B/G}{B/G}{B/G}{G/W}{G/W}{G/W}{R/G}{R/G}{R/G}{U/R}{U/R}{U/R}{B/R}{B/R}{B/R}{G/U}{G/U}{G/U} cmc=3 -is:split -is:mdfc

That should hit everything at cmc 3 with three pips, skipping over split cards and MDFC cards, since in both cases they count as "valid" hits if, say, one side meets the mana requirement and the other side matches the desired CMC.

Does it scale? Not in the slightest!

Anyone here run some sort of untappers deck?

Just a few examples. There seems to be a lot of untapping options, but I'm not sure if there's enough value to be worthy of retapping without going infinite off a Kiki or whatever. I don't particularly want to look through every {T}: card, so I thought I'd ask here.

I do have something like this in my secondary cube Ravnica's 9th District, but it is pretty low in power level as it only contains cards from the original ravnica block and a a bonus the core set of that time. It's mostly an Azorius thing but can bleed into other colors/guilds.

Actually, which colors do you desire?
Not sure. Just curious. UG definitely comes to mind as the "untap" colors.
I didn't consider this initially, but granting fake vigilance to a big dude isn't a bad plan B.

Maybe this has some legs as a ramp subtheme. Some normal rampy guys, handful of untappers that could function as ramp, a few strong tapping effects, handful of more traditional high CMC threats.

Tradewing Rider is maligned sometimes because it's repeateble bounce but I've found very skill-testing in practice. Just bouncing the same permanent over and over is rarely the best play, especially as your opponent adapts. It's a fairer Oppossition-like card. If you like what Oppossition brings to UG and UW but don't like one-sided Armaggedons, I think it's a good card to try.

Retraction Helix is more of a combo card, IMHO.

I didn't consider this initially, but granting fake vigilance to a big dude isn't a bad plan B.

Maybe this has some legs as a ramp subtheme. Some normal rampy guys, handful of untappers that could function as ramp, a few strong tapping effects, handful of more traditional high CMC threats.

Well, giving a fattie pseudo vigilance is good, but actually I added Siege Wurm as an example for convoke. Tapping your whole team to play a free Coclave Phalanx and then dropping Sky Hussar is a brutal play.

Not really easy to convert this into a higher power level, but I still wanted to mention it here.

I guess Dragon Bones are Acidic...
Image.ashx

Anyone here run some sort of untappers deck?

Just a few examples. There seems to be a lot of untapping options, but I'm not sure if there's enough value to be worthy of retapping without going infinite off a Kiki or whatever. I don't particularly want to look through every {T}: card, so I thought I'd ask here.
I used to. The primary focus was on untapping enchanted lands as a means to generate huge amounts of mana. The deck worked relatively well and my ramp section still contains lots of cards from when I supported this archetype.

The {B/G} and {B/R} marsh/mires make sense to me, at least a little bit. Not sure about {U/B}. The dragons in Bloodstained probably decomposed anaerobically, which creates very acidic conditions. Smoldering and Cinder marshes probably have sulfur in the water (sulfuric acid formation), and blooming marsh is probably peat-y (more anaerobic decomposition).