General CBS

Money!

Seriously though, I'd imagine that Arena gets first dibs on a set as it's an easy way to ensure that Arena is super popular.

Does anyone know why sets are always releasing on Magic Arena before paper?
They're basically releasing the sets digitally for the Paper prerelease. There's not a reason for them to wait another week to let people play the set online when people are already enjoying the set in paper.

WOTC used to have to wait to launch sets online until a couple of weeks after they were released in paper following a major leak which revealed an entire set caused by the Magic Online client. Improvements in technology and Web Security means that they don't have to slow roll digital releases anymore.

Basically, computers got better, so now we get to enjoy a digital prerelease for new sets at the same time as the paper prerelease ;)

Train

Do you know why sets are always releasing on Magic Arena before paper?

Click on the link I posted above for Jason.

Hey Velrun, what do you know, you found an actual bug! :D CubeCobra's owner found and fixed the faulty code, and the fix will be deployed in the next release! I don't know when exactly that is, he said he might even do an impromptu release with a few high impact, low effort issues if he can find the time, but rest assured that you can keep working on the migration knowing that your Iona and Mikaeus will soon appear after your Realm-Cloaked Giants in the visual spoiler :)

So.. I'm not sure why but I think the problem is back.

CubeCobra's visual spoiler doesn't distinguish between spells that cost 13, 14 and 15 mana (mana value)

DEKKARU says all cards with mana value 8+ are sorted together. I hope I can get him to change that so we at least have 0-15 as individual sortings.

While we tested this out, we crashed CubeCobra. All new cubes created have the same ID number and when you click through the cube, it randomly goes to other cubes with same ID number. He's working on the issue.

What are people’s thoughts on including a bunch of

To a cube?

Basically, as spells matters branches out more and more to other colors I want there to be enough high powered enablers to let these decks compete with others in the format. Probe seems great for that as a colorless cantrip available to all colors.
The fact that it is free enables some fun turns too. Plus, as a cantrip not just spells matters deck will want it.

I am thinking of having anywhere between 2-5 copies. What downsides pops up when you consider this idea?

What are people’s thoughts on including a bunch of

To a cube?

Basically, as spells matters branches out more and more to other colors I want there to be enough high powered enablers to let these decks compete with others in the format. Probe seems great for that as a colorless cantrip available to all colors.
The fact that it is free enables some fun turns too. Plus, as a cantrip not just spells matters deck will want it.

I am thinking of having anywhere between 2-5 copies. What downsides pops up when you consider this idea?
I don't actually see a downside to this, other than it kind of decreases blue's piece of the color pie by giving every color good free cantrips. That said, 1-mana cantrips tend to only be worth playing in blue (unless they add to some sort of other combo), so perhaps this is not a concern.

I think it's reasonable to try several Gitaxian Probes, at the very least.

I don't like the play pattern of Gitaxian Probe because it removes tension from the game. Knowing your opponent's hand makes a lot of decisions easier for both players - whoever saw the opponent's hand can predict what will happen pretty well, and whoever had their hand revealed loses the ability to try to catch the opponent off-guard. It asks very little of whoever runs it - it doesn't even cost mana and slows you down.

Mishra's Bauble has better play patterns IMO, if you really want to provide a set of zero-cost cantrips. Just peeking at the top card of the library helps maintain tension but does allow for a modicum of interplay with the opponent's upcoming plays.

Agreed. I love the baubles....I don't run multiples, but I run Urza's Bauble along with Mishra's...and the not free Chromatic Star

Gitaxian Probe is not something I'd want to be abundantly available...but running 3-4 in a cube is another story. Still not my first choice of something to break singleton over

I hadn't thought about the known information part of the card making games less interesting. That being said, my particular multiplayer environment is probably less impacted by it than in duels.

I love the baubles and such, but the downside is that they don't trigger the spells matters cards which is why I wanted to explore the Gitaxian Probe idea.

The upside seems huge to me though. Having a suite of colorless cantrips like this

Really opens up a few things. First of all, draw smoothing for everyone. This steals a bit of blue's identity like TrainmasterGT said, but they are significantly less powerful than a Ponder, Preordain or Brainstorm. Second of all, there are a subset of non-blue build arounds that thrive on these small enablers. Cards like

(the unavailable card is Sedgemoor Witch)

Being able to "go off" on cheap/free colorless cantrips opens up new deck combinations that aren't tied to blue. I think that is a good thing, but maybe it strips too much away from blue.

Is this approach just too brute force?

It bothers me these this is worded opposite of each other

"From X to your hand"
"To your hand from X"

Come on Wizards. There's probably a good explanation, but come on.

I'm so used to breezing through effects that I'd never notice something like that.

Choose... Ok, Entwine...
Return... permanent... graveyard...
Command zone...

Got it.

We get points for having a post crack the top 10/top 1 most-liked posts of a year. Internet points get you more internet points, I guess.