General CBS

Always bothered me that the best gy colors, black and green, get the best gy hate. Just like the best enchantment colors, green and white, get the best answers to them. Also, exiling stuff from the yard feels very red (cremation) or white (ban the undead).

White has a lot of options, but so many fall just short of being useful in a cube setting, either by being too focused on GY hate (rest in peace etc), or just a little under curve. White also has the most widespread pre-GY hate (exile effects, bottom of library effects, etc)

This is an option if GY hate is a big priority in the environment:

The Black Cube has (probably) every reasonable grave hate effect that doesn't wipe the entire yard and isn't excessively wordy. I don't want to wipe the whole yard efficiently in such a grave-centric environment, but I do want to disrupt it.

The Black Cube has (probably) every reasonable grave hate effect that doesn't wipe the entire yard and isn't excessively wordy. I don't want to wipe the whole yard efficiently in such a grave-centric environment, but I do want to disrupt it.

Yeah I'm with you there. Whenever there's a card with "Exile target card from a graveyard" as a bonus effect, I'm in!

I thought about adding Skittering Surveyor or Pilgrim's Eye as fixing tools but now I found Prophetic Prism (again) and wonder how good it is? It draws you a card and provides fixing, while the former two draw you a land, which as well can be fixing, but not as flexible, and it can also be seen as drawing a card, as it secures your next land drop.

How good do they compare, and which would you prefer in draft?
To me, it seems clear that Prism > Surveyor/Eye, but maybe I'm missing something.

How to scryfall search for all artifacts that could be used in a UB EDH deck but are not entirely colorless? I do want Dimir Signet and Baleful Strix but don't want Mind Stone.

ci:ub t:artifact -ci=c

This shows me blue, black, and UB artifacts as well as blue and black mana stones, etc, but is notably missing Dimir Signet and similar.

ci=ub t:artifact -ci=c

This shows UB cards like Dimir Signet and Baleful Strix, but lacks any U or B artifacts.

How to scryfall search for all artifacts that could be used in a UB EDH deck but are not entirely colorless? I do want Dimir Signet and Baleful Strix but don't want Mind Stone.

ci:ub t:artifact -ci=c

This shows me blue, black, and UB artifacts as well as blue and black mana stones, etc, but is notably missing Dimir Signet and similar.

ci=ub t:artifact -ci=c

This shows UB cards like Dimir Signet and Baleful Strix, but lacks any U or B artifacts.
This should do it!

(commander:ub -ci:c t:artifact)

It's very similar to what sigh suggested. If that doesn't work, try this!

Damn it. It worked on my search, too. I didn't realize, until now, that the UB artifacts were also color sorted to behind the U and B artifacts. I'm an idiot. Thanks, anyways.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Damn it. It worked on my search, too. I didn't realize, until now, that the UB artifacts were also color sorted to behind the U and B artifacts. I'm an idiot. Thanks, anyways.

Haha, I was looking at your search expression, and really wondering why that didn't work, because it looked fine to me. I should use that : more often, I always write ci<=ub, which is the same but one character more. So inefficient! My personal choice (slyly incorporating the colon) would have been "ci:ub ci>0 t:artifact" (that's a zero).

Eh, you can still blink and bounce and sacrifice and do a lot of things with creatures left behind with one of those cards even if you don't have enchantment removal. It's good but it's not busted!

Yeah, you're right. I really need to play actual Magic again lol
Still having a blocker might be relevant, too, as well as mass pump spells.
Don't have that many bounce and blink spells, though.

Luckily for me, we're going to have one set on a world I love and supporting themes I enjoy. I can change anything I'm currently unhappy with, and then just let the cube lie fallow for a few months while we just draft it. Everything we know about Ikoria makes the set sound like it is going to be fairly parasitic, so I could probably sit updating the cube out for that one and just wait until core 2021 comes out to make any further changes.

That'd be nice, actually.
Well this comment aged well. Or poorly, depending on wether or not you want to count not updating the cube over the pandemic as letting the cube "lie fallow."

Well this comment aged well. Or poorly, depending on wether or not you want to count not updating the cube over the pandemic as letting the cube "lie fallow."

I loved Companions before they changed the wording. All they had to do was balance them all better. I know this is easier said than done. Or even better: I wish they had thought of the new wording before printing the cards and balanced them accordingly before print. When it comes to cycles, I really don’t mind all 5 or 10 cards being equally strong but in this one particular case I would have my team work tirelessly on the Companions until all 10 were equally strong, playable but not broken. These cards could have defined Ikoria in a good way for decades.