General CBS

it’s kind of a fair comparison, they’re both recursion engines in white with a base casting cost of 3… sevinne’s is like a PW with only a minus and grace is like a PW with only a plus

There's only so many slots in white, even if they don't compare exactly 1-to-1, and reclamation has a lot less opportunity cost on a format, relatively speaking.

To run grace, I would personally want the the life gain repeated trigger to be the primary goal, with the reanimation as a possible upside. Maybe in some sort of life gain matters deck, where the reanimation would be grabbing a soul warden or something

The reason why I think they aren't really comparable is that you're going to draft them differently.

Reclamation's a value card, and it doesn't really affect your drafting strategy. Grace, on the other hand, makes every 1-drop creature you see look better, and gives you an interesting alternative angle for an Aristocrats deck. If nothing else, having a Wild Cantor out turns it into a mana rock that can maybe do more interesting things later.

Yeah, you do have to set up your one-drops with an eye towards breaking them with Abiding Grace, but it takes up less space in your cube than, say, Birthing Pod.

I think most people here try to:
- keep their curves low
- have 1-drops that stay relevant later in the game

These general rules of riptidian cube design already make AG much better, while it also helps you with that second goal.

It also works very well with all kinds of graveyard themes like sacrifice and selfmill, as well as equipment (as mentioned before) and of course lifegain, where it's other mode becomes relevant. Anyone supporting these themes to some degree and agreeing with the two design goals from the beginning of my post should at least consider giving it a shot.

This is gonna sound super cheap, but it's the feeling that I'm being scammed, not the money.

How long after a set's release until the commons stop being 30-50 cents on tcgplayer and go down to 10-15 cents like most commons?

The rares are looking more appropriately priced, probably because the sellers are competing on those? The commons and uncommons are like 2-5x what they should be imo. Which, again, will only cost me like $2-3, but I'd know I was ripped off and that's what bothers me lol.

Well, for AFR, remember that it hasn't actually been released yet--that's this weekend. If it's MH2 you're talking about, most things were super cheap release weekend.

Alright. I'll get some stuff this weekend. I know it isn't out yet, that didn't affect my question lol. I have soooo many cards to get between the rebuild and so many sets being released during the pandemic.

The release cycle is going nuts. I wonder how long the community will be able to keep up with 6+ releases a year. I miss the time where they only had 3 Expansions and no new cards in a base set.
Damn, I am old...

The release cycle is going nuts. I wonder how long the community will be able to keep up with 6+ releases a year. I miss the time where they only had 3 Expansions and no new cards in a base set.
Damn, I am old...
The more the merrier! That said... It'd reduce my design tinkering time quite a bit if they cut back on releases.

I'd be more OK with the crazy release cycle if I wasn't able to grind a dozen drafts on Arena before the sets come out in paper even with a busy job and a toddler. By the time it's launch weekend and the cards start to come down to even approach reasonable prices, they already feel like "old news" to me.

Spoiler season every other month is fun and I can remember all the neat cards still. I guess it is a lot of time to dedicate to the hobby just to follow it, but theorycrafting is half the fun of playing Magic / managing a cube.

Hasbro: “let’s focus on THE GATHERING”
Hasbro: releases sets on Arena three weeks before they’re available on paper
Hasbro: “do as i say, not as i do”

This is kind of what has led to me being less engaged with the game as a whole recently, feeling a little burnt out. I mean, just look at the set release schedule we've had thus far in 2021:

February: Kaldheim
March: Time Spiral Remastered
April: Strixhaven
June: Modern Horizons 2
July: Adventures in Forgotten Realms

I mostly just keep up with the game via EDH and Cube nowadays, but even then that's quite a bit to keep up with. I have no idea how other players do so for Constructed Magic nowadays, it seems utterly insane to me. I played Modern for a good chunk of late 2019 but the rapid releases of format shifting staples have just upended the format for me over the last 18 months. Hell, I haven't had a chance to stop by for a Modern FNM yet even with stores reopening near me in the last month and the meta is apparently already settled with MH2 stuff that's only been officially released for a little over a month, but have been available online since early June. Hell, my only interactions with actual paper Magic over the last year have been via EDH games over the webcam and a handful of times with a few friends in person in recent weeks.

I still enjoy theorycrafting cube and coming here for discussions, but my engagement with the game is MUCH reduced compared to where I was about 18 months back. Like I got back into the game around 2013 and it was a large part of my entertainment in my college years with a dedicated playgroups and close friends I still keep up with, but the last 2 years of rapid product churn have just been turning me off more and more. Part of it is the pandemic, but another part is just missing that engagement that I used to have, the fascination and immersive experience you'd get with having a new set and cards to digest for a few months. Right now it feels like by the time I can actually play with physical cards, everything has been solved ranging from Limited to an established meta. We've already had weeks of discussion, playtesting information from those on MTGO and Arena (I play zero digital Magic myself), and loads of threads on places like reddit detailing key cards and strategies. All before anything is out!

It's just a completely different game than the one that enticed me into coming back. It's still a great game and all, and I'll probably be loosely keeping up with it just on a Cube basis for the long haul, but I don't think I'm the target audience any longer. That's been kind of tough to accept over the course of this year, but it seems to be reality with each new release.

Yup, it would probably annoy me too if I played anything else than cube really, but for that part, it's not really a problem. First, nobody else is going to figure out my cube for me (in a designer way). And second, even when I might miss out on a new card, it's not like my cube (and yours) is getting any less awesome. I remember how it took me over half a year to realize, that Gallia of the Endless Dance wasn't just a weird tribal card, but actually a great signpost for my {R/G} madness deck. But we still had a blast drafting and playing for these 7 month, so, whatever!

Can we take a moment and appreciate the fact that the new Davriel has DRIP?
mtg-jumpstart-historic-horizons-blogroll-1-1627074140954.jpg

Can we take a moment and appreciate the fact that the new Davriel has DRIP?
mtg-jumpstart-historic-horizons-blogroll-1-1627074140954.jpg
That's a card I'll never will be able to play with. Not sure if I like that announcement.
Ti clarify: having cards only in the digital medium without physical counterparts.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This is kind of what has led to me being less engaged with the game as a whole recently, feeling a little burnt out. I mean, just look at the set release schedule we've had thus far in 2021:

February: Kaldheim
March: Time Spiral Remastered
April: Strixhaven
June: Modern Horizons 2
July: Adventures in Forgotten Realms
Huh. That might be it, actually. The fact that I don't want to actually do any 'Gathering' while I'm not fully vaccinated (and as long as our government still maintains a social distancing policy for the entire population) means I can't even put all these new cards to good use, which doesn't help maintaining my interest either.