General CBS

Perpetual means the effect sticks to the card, even if it goes to the graveyard. So if you perpetually add one colorless mana to a cards mana cost, it will have that heightened cost for the rest of the match. Even after going to the yard.

I think they want to milk all players equally. We got Modern Horizons 2, which Arena didn't get. And they now get this digital only set. You only have a problem if you are in an overlapping demographic. Then you have to pay even more money, money, money. It's a rich man's world.
(Sorry for the ABBA reference...)

I think they want to milk all players equally. We got Modern Horizons 2, which Arena didn't get. And they now get this digital only set. You only have a problem if you are in an overlapping demographic. Then you have to pay even more money, money, money. It's a rich man's world.

Modern Horizons makes this pretty evident.

Honestly, that seems kind of inevitable. There is the thesis that keeping the game the same on paper and digital could make familiarity a promotion of paper Magic, but I'm pretty sure that maximizing profit points to focusing on digital. There is also the thesis that paper Magic has less competition, people are already bought into the game, and in-person communities are more resilient and provide experiences that online is not well-suited to provide, so Magic is more resilient as a primarily paper product. I doubt Hasbro execs have this sort of foresight, though.

Even then, the two games can coexist in parallel, and them being functionally equal might not be important after all.

I don't see a problem at all with this, the vast majority of cards played on arena will still be paper cards. And it's still MtG.

Honestly, the M15 frame, completely lacking color and atmosphere at all did more to make magic cards less recognizeable, and people are still playing with these soulless pieces of easily readable information on card board ;)

I had to post something negative as I just lost a game on arena due to a misklick :(

Alternatively, and more likely, they don't have a single focus group and try to cater to different player profiles, one of which is the digital player.

But both of you guys are still missing the most crucial point: The sets are released three weeks prior on Arena. And online you don't have to wait for the mail man. This means opening the 'new' cards in real life is less exciting than it used to be. It's only 1 week ago we could get our hands on D&D Adventures in the Forgotten Realms cards mind you. And the set feels old on Arena. And that requires you either get the cards directly from the store or have a mail man who works super, super fast. An example: I have not received any D&D cards yet even though I ordered on release day.

In conclusion: Only in combinations with Wizards also creating cards that are Arena-only is it pushing it. Otherwise Arena-only cards would be 100 % fair.

Last edited:
This episode was particularly good. So good that I want to make a shout-out to my own thread :p

When Day[9] and Noxious plays, it's just golden. Every time. (Wizards here is my vote that you also get Noxious on the large online Arena tournaments along side day[9] that are already hosting them) But this episode was really, really good in my opinion, so..

..here it is:

As always you can find all Day[9] content for free on his youtube page, his discord page and his Twitch. The highest resolution is on Twitch (1080)

And as always you can find a list of all What the Deck episodes in this little thread, if you wish to watch all the episodes in order and go back in the archives to see some Ixalan Arena magic :p
https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/what-the-deck.3350/

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
But both of you guys are still missing the most crucial point: The sets are released three weeks prior on Arena. And online you don't have to wait for the mail man. This means opening the 'new' cards in real life is less exciting than it used to be. It's only 1 week ago we could get our hands on D&D Adventures in the Forgotten Realms cards mind you. And the set feels old on Arena. And that requires you either get the cards directly from the store or have a mail man who works super, super fast. An example: I have not received any D&D cards yet even though I ordered on release day.

In conclusion: Only in combinations with Wizards also creating cards that are Arena-only is it pushing it. Otherwise Arena-only cards would be 100 % fair.
Look, this all started with a discussion on whether it is right or not that WotC is now printing Arena-exclusive cards, but sure, let's indulge. I think your crucial point doesn't apply to a large portion of the player base. I'm not saying it doesn't apply to you, I know you watch a lot of Day9, but there are a lot of paper only players out there that don't watch a lot of Arena either. Even for Arena players, the set feeling old is very subjective, and won't apply to every Arena player either, nor does familiarity with the set translate to not being excited for getting the new cards in the mail. I mean, I think you're perfectly describing how you feel about this situation, and I'm not saying you can't feel that way, I'm just saying it's not a feeling that is necessarily mutual for every other player out there.

You’re reaching. Every single sentence is being challenged. But the truth in the end is still that paper is 3+ weeks after Arena. And it didn’t HAVE to be this way. They could easily release everything on the same date since Arena is digital and 100.00 % in their control.

No need for it yet they backheel paper when it comes to release dates.

If they introduce simultaneous releases, then there is absolutely no problems at all.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This has nothing to do with reaching and everything with having different opinions on the matter. And that's okay. I'm not trying to convince you that your opinion is wrong, because it isn't. I'm just putting my own (and equally valid) point of view out there. Whether or not you think a set being released three weeks earlier on Arena than in paper is a big deal depends a lot on how you consume / enjoy Magic. We do so in different ways, and thus it affects us in different ways. It's not hard to name some good reasons why the paper release should not be three weeks later than the online release, but there are benefits to an early Arena release as well. Pro's can figure out the metagame earlier, and adjust accordingly for paper tournaments. You can test the cards you fancy online so you know what cards to preorder by the time the paper release rolls around. Maybe you even discover you missed some cool cards that play way better than you anticipated! WotC gets some early information on extreme power outliers which allows them to emergency ban cards that slipped through the cracks if needed (it's not ideal, but it is an option, as long as it's not the face card of the set, *cough* Oko *cough*). Et cetera. Like I said, it's all a matter of perspective.

I think a set feeling old after a few weeks is a symptom of Standard, not Arena. It's going to get figured out pretty quickly and you're likely going to see the same few matchups over and over.

I personally don't care about it being out on Arena sooner. Doesn't affect my cube at all.

I think opening new cards is less exciting than it used to be because we're adults with spoilers and disposable income and access to online retailers with infinite copies of the cards. It used to be a matter of having to get lucky at the LGS or find it in trades at an event or crack a card from a pack or some other uncontrollable factor. There's no excitement when the only barrier is "spend $X?"

I also think that there's an additional factor of "set oldness" recently, and that's that Eldraine/Theros/Ikoria (due to having so many pushed designs) have drowned out a lot of the more recent sets.

So of course Adventures in the Forgotten Realms feels old — only a small fraction of the set is good enough to actually see competitive Standard play, so you're going to end up seeing those cards over and over again. This is especially true if you're watching content creators, since they're primarily going to play ranked matches.

I feel like Kaldheim/Strixhaven/Forgotten Realms are going to feel "new" again as soon as Eldraine/Theros/Ikoria rotate, simply because fewer cards will be drowned out by the pushed design mistakes in those sets.

Real dialogue with my wife:

"Yay, my new cards from the D&D set arrived!"
"Oh, they released another one? Does the new one have party?"
"Uh... no, there's only one. This is that one."
"But you've been talking about it and playing it for months."
"Yeah, well, There's spoiler season, then there's the full spoiler reveal, then there's early access for streamers, then we get it on Arena, then there's the prerelease, and then we get the real cards. I actually preordered these cards and they were shipped at the earliest possible day."
"It feels like forever since you showed me these cards. It has been months, hasn't it?"

There's pros and cons to release on Arena earlier, and I imagine there are logistical distribution issues I don't understand. I also imagine that releasing the full set spoiler then the cards only weeks afterwards will give traction to Cockatrice, which Wizards would want to avoid, and that seems completely reasonable to me.

But as a consumer, I can say it's really weird and puts me off going to an LGS to play the new old set.

Gonna b honest, my brain is still back on like..... Ravnica? Zendikar? (the newest versions) And my card evaluation brain for like EDH deck building is back at like Amonkhet or something. Only cards specific to the razor slice of cube I have a (decent) grasp on. They pumpin' stuff out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gonna b honest, my brain is still back on like..... Ravnica? Zendikar? (the newest versions) And my card evaluation brain for like EDH deck building is back at like Amonkhet or something. Only cards specific to the razor slice of cube I have a (decent) grasp on. They pumpin' stuff out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Let's be really honest. 2007 is as far as any of us made it.

I just hope that Wizards decide to release sets in the future at the same time on paper as they do on Arena. Feels pretty sunk cost unfair that the original players are pushed back three weeks for no reason that benefits the original players. It is very easy to release them at the same minute because one of the products is released digitally by pressing a button.