General CBS

A good place to start would be

Code:
o:"counters on" game:paper

On a semi-related note, this seems like a really sweet card if you're messing around with Proliferate:

A good place to start would be

Code:
o:"counters on" game:paper
Code:
(fo:"counters on" or fo:"counter on") game:paper
fo for full oracle to catch reminder text for something like Backup, Ravenous, Graft, etc.

"1 – 60 of 2,933 cards"
This is why I wanted someone to guide me lol.
Card's really interesting, but I'm nervous it's a little slow. Taking turn 2 off in order to accumulate extra counters over time might not cut it.

I haven't been following here for a while and I was wondering if there's been some new draft methods concocted here, when drafting with a low amount of players.
Currently I do a grid draft when it's 2 people, and reduce the pack size to ~9 cards when drafting with 3 or 4.
Any suggestions to improve on this? Thanks!

I haven't been following here for a while and I was wondering if there's been some new draft methods concocted here, when drafting with a low amount of players.
Currently I do a grid draft when it's 2 people, and reduce the pack size to ~9 cards when drafting with 3 or 4.
have you tried making a set of Jumpstart packs out of your cube cards? VERY quick draft and a lot of fun for any number of players

I’ve got two for you: mostly based on 2 players.

1) shuffle 45*numberofplayers in a closed pile. Add 1 closed card each to three different piles. The first player looks at the first pile and either takes the pile and stops or moves on to the next pile. When the player takes or moves on the player adds a closed card to the taken pile. If the player does not take the third pile than the player receives a card from the main pile. Then the following player takes its turn.

2)
https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/casual-format-wife-pleaser-working-title.3167/post-93460

Brad, is this project custom enabled? I can dust off some of my old cards if so
I don't think so for this project, but I'm open to it in future projects lol.

Also, in searching, the pool of stuff to proliferate is deep as hell at basically all power levels.

With 4, I'd just do the following:
Draft five packs of 13 but burn the last four cards remaining. It's been tested and usually comes really close in terms of drafting speed and deck quality to your regular 8-man draft. Also, you don't have to explain much to people not as enfranchised and experienced. "Just pick one and the last four will be discarded" doesn't leave much room for questions ime.

With 3, it's a little more tricky. We've tried seven packs of ten with the same burn four clause, but with a group that small you will often have people alone in their color and feel it. The difference between three and four players is quite significant actually.

Code:
"[B]1 – 60 [I]of[/I] 2,933 cards"[/B]
This is why I wanted someone to guide me lol.

If you're running into that many options, that's a sign that you might be asking the wrong question. :p

Drill down a bit: what are you looking at doing with proliferate? We've gotten three "proliferate blocks", and they've all used it in different ways:

1) Scars combined proliferate with poison (a win condition) and -1/-1 counters (to shrink/remove opposing creature). Proliferate is almost purely a pressure mechanic here.
2) WAR combined proliferate with +1/+1 counters (growing your creatures) and loyalty counters (fueling planeswalker abilities). Proliferate here is about building up resources.
3) ONE combined proliferate with poison, oil (fueling non-planeswalker abilities), and loyalty counters. This kinda splits the difference between the two previous takes on proliferate, but it's key to notice that the set shies away from building up your creatures.

One potentially interesting route to take would be to do something with both Poison counters and Energy. This would be kinda interesting, since Proliferate adds one more counter of each type you have.[/code]

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
@LadyMapi @Onderzeeboot
Is it possible you could write all the best tooltips for Scryfall searches that is related to Riptide giving in a thread on this website so the rest of us can enjoy your useful wisdom?
Actually, they have a very useful syntax guide on their own website! Though kw isn't in there, so I guess there are some hidden search parameters?

There's also the advanced search, which does offer a few additional options.

Last edited:
@Onderzeeboot @Jason Waddell
Thank you for your response. As I wrote I was specifically interesting in a list in this website written by our users with search tips specifically good for users on this website.

To elaborate. One of the upsides of having the tips written on this website by our members is that we do not have to visit other external websites to find the tips. And the list can be changed depending on what we/you find interesting and informative.

Actually, they have a very useful syntax guide on their own website! Though kw isn't in there, so I guess there are some hidden search parameters?
The shorthand isn't, but keyword is mentioned under the card text search.
To elaborate. One of the upsides of having the tips written on this website by our members is that we do not have to visit other external websites to find the tips. And the list can be changed depending on what we/you find interesting and informative.
The syntax guide is on the literal site you're searching for the cards, digging up a thread on riptidelab where some user tries to make an educated guess at what you will find useful is by every consideration more external, and likely not as comprehensive or well-structured either.

The shorthand isn't, but keyword is mentioned under the card text search.

The syntax guide is on the literal site you're searching for the cards, digging up a thread on riptidelab where some user tries to make an educated guess at what you will find useful is by every consideration more external, and likely not as comprehensive or well-structured either.

Pros and cons. Can’t hurt to have both so people can choose what they prefer.

We see time and time again that people ask on this website for help with Scryfall search. Maybe having a smaller database of what we more often need than Commander, Standard or Legacy players could be useful.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
@Onderzeeboot @Jason Waddell
Thank you for your response. As I wrote I was specifically interesting in a list in this website written by our users with search tips specifically good for users on this website.

If our goal is to keep people off of external sites, we have to host our own scryfall.

The one big trick that I'd recommend learning is...

Go to a card that you like. Let's say...

Now, scroll down on the scryfall page and click on "Open on Scryfall Tagger". That will bring you to this page right here. Which, importantly, is tied to a specific printing of Lightning Bolt.

What kinds of information people felt like tagging is wildly dependent on the card and not actually objective in any sense, but it will give you a good idea of what stuff you can look for, and will often list cards that the card is better than/worse than/referenced by.

In general, finding a card that does something you like and exploring the tags is a helpful way to find what tag you're looking for. This is especially helpful when you're looking for stuff that might otherwise get covered up by token producers or land searchers. Compare the outputs of these two searches:

Code:
o:forest -o:search
otag:synergy-forest