General CBS

them's some positive thoughts! The world could use more people with your line of reasoning :)
It's easy enough.
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/releases/compassion-training.html
“Our fundamental question was, ‘Can compassion be trained and learned in adults? Can we become more caring if we practice that mindset?'” says Helen Weng, lead author of the study and a graduate student in clinical psychology. “Our evidence points to yes.”

I do wonder how much influence Modern Masters (and to a lesser extent, VMA on MODO) have had in showing people that you can craft cubes (whether singleton or more like a draft sim set) that are based more around archetypes than just generic blue control, green ramp, and red aggro.

Awesome! They should make that stuff mandatory in school!

I started doing this a week ago, and it already makes me appreciate comments like yours more :)
Listened up to his talk; it's cool hearing about removing complaining from your life. Very well presented, and a super clean and easy concept. Tempted to try it out myself. A more pleasant happier you will be more pleasant and happier to all those around you, including your cube groups! :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Listened up to his talk; it's cool hearing about removing complaining from your life. Very well presented, and a super clean and easy concept. Tempted to try it out myself. A more pleasant happier you will be more pleasant and happier to all those around you, including your cube groups! :)

I consider myself a pretty upbeat and happy person, but after 10 days my wife already noted a more pleasant attitude. Apparently I help out more at home without me noticing as well :) I can only imagine what the effects will be after I succeed at unlearning the habit of complaining!

Heh - I think if anything that it's too easy to go overboard on removal in B/R once you start going deep, as there are lots of repeatable pinging and disfigure effects that can clear the board and slow down the game. I'm halfway through a first draft, and even if I never build this in paper it's actually a pretty interesting exercise in crafting a metagame. From what I've seen so far, there's room a decent number well-supported strategies:

Primary Red
  • Goblins (with aggro and controlling variants)
  • Artifacts
  • Dragons
Primary Black
  • Vampire midrange/control
  • Monoblack devotion
  • Reanimator
Split
  • Multicolor matters (can overlap with almost any other theme)
Aristocrats, bloodthirst, zombies, elementals, madness, and devoid could all likely be supported too to some degree and I might look at some of them as I finish up this first pass. From what I've got so far, I imagine that goblins is the best, or at most densely supported, of the archetypes if you just throw cards together, so I'll likely need to trim a good number of them to make room for other strategies to breath.

Like I said, I'm not even through making a full first pass, but if anyone wants to take a look here's what I've got so far:

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/48873

If I do end up throwing this together in the real world, I want to make a box for it that looks like an 80s metal album cover since every other Rakdos card sounds like a sick band or album name.

Does anybody read any German language magic websites? I'm trying to teach myself German and one of the suggestions is to read websites about things that interest you! Though I wonder how good an idea it is with all the weird magic cardnames...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Does anybody read any German language magic websites? I'm trying to teach myself German and one of the suggestions is to read websites about things that interest you! Though I wonder how good an idea it is with all the weird magic cardnames...
Moment mal, damals als ich nog Peasant spielte habe ich mir diese Website oft angeguckt. Die spielen immer noch Peasant in Ingolstadt, also das könnte vielleicht interessant sein?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor

ooo how fun. At what point are you at in learning German? I agree that picking a language you like, and finding recreational activities with it is a good idea.

When I was very early in learning Italian, I would download fan translated roms of 16 bit rpgs I really liked as a kid, stuff like FF6. You get a good amount of text, because it was a fan translation it was a little easier, and I would just tab between the game screen and word reference whenever I saw a word I was unfamiliar with. Because its a game, you get a nice break between vocabulary focused story scenes, and game playing segments, which helps reduce mental fatigue.

Than I DLed an GBA emulator, and DLed a bunch of professionally translated games: ff6, ff4, ff5, golden sun, golden sun 2 and played those. Same deal, except the vocabulary is more advanced.

After I got comfortable with that, I upgraded to steam, and started DLing things like Skyrim, fable, and dragon age origins. Same deal, except with a number of the games you could have both subtitles and audio, which helps with with vocabulary and comprehending the heard versions of it. With Italian, their is (of course) a lot of variance in accent and the rate/manner in which people speak, so I found that with audio it was easier with professionally voiced productions, rather than with youtube videos or movies (at this point).

Than I started to use my nook to DL Italian language books. Started with young adult novels like the hunger games or the lion the witch and the wardrobe (il leone, la strega, e l'armadio) until getting to stuff like Gamorra. Eventually I felt comfortable enough with my hearing comprehension where I could transition to lets plays, and other mediums that I enjoy.

German has a really good selection of those types of options--better than Italian.

Good luck though, and if you ever want some encouragement send me a PM. The trick to language learning is to stay positive, and try to find some daily interaction that you enjoy with it: on a long enough timeline you will get there.