General CBS

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Because I needed to rep my favourite forum at work somehow...
YYDZ4AV.jpg
5OpbIHu.jpg
8NEC3SF.jpg

Preferences for Izzet gold cards, assuming some sort of "spells matter" theme for the guild: Should guild slots go to enablers (Goblin Electromancer), efficient instants/sorceries (Prophetic Bolt), or payoff cards (Mercurial Geists)? Obviously individual card decisions might matter more than general philosophy, especially in smaller cubes, but I'm just curious what you all think.

I'm wanting to upgrade my peasant cube experience to start using rares, but since I don't play regular limited or constructed these days I'm going to need to build up my card pool, especially for more recent cards, from close to scratch.

To help me, I was thinking of making a budget card power ranking thread to come up with a list to not just help me curate a collection to draw from but make a resource that others can use. I hate generic power rankings since I don't think they offer much insight that Cube Tutor data can't provide, but something that ties finances into it in a way that makes cubing easier to get into seems useful to me. If this is successful and management is cool with it, we could make it a front page resource that gets updated once a year or so. (I'm not super tech-savvy but if possible, we could even make some kind of affiliate link in the article that people can click on that automatically fills their shopping cart with a basket of all the budget cards to help feed the hamsters that run the website.)

Ideally these cards won't just be the most powerful budget cards, but the ones that are most interesting, versatile, or have effects you can't easily replicate at common or uncommon. In other words, the most Riptide-iest cheap cards you can think of.

I'm thinking of doing two categories for each color:
  • Top 10 rares/mythics per color under $1 (I'll probably only have people submit 10 cards, but I might extend the actual ranking list with honorable mentions to have 15-20 cards total)
  • Top 5 cards per color between $1 and $5
We can brainstorm for about how to handle guild slots since the monocolor/artifact sections are more important anyway. I assume that budget card options are pretty consistent across countries, but if that's not the case we can figure out a workaround for non-U.S. people.

TL;DR: Let's make budget-friendly Riptide rankings for each color to help newbies build their first cubes.

What do you all think? Is this worth the effort? If so, any tweaks before we open up the floodgates to lists?

I'm wanting to upgrade my peasant cube experience to start using rares, but since I don't play regular limited or constructed these days I'm going to need to build up my card pool, especially for more recent cards, from close to scratch.

To help me, I was thinking of making a budget card power ranking thread to come up with a list to not just help me curate a collection to draw from but make a resource that others can use. I hate generic power rankings since I don't think they offer much insight that Cube Tutor data can't provide, but something that ties finances into it in a way that makes cubing easier to get into seems useful to me. If this is successful and management is cool with it, we could make it a front page resource that gets updated once a year or so. (I'm not super tech-savvy but if possible, we could even make some kind of affiliate link in the article that people can click on that automatically fills their shopping cart with a basket of all the budget cards to help feed the hamsters that run the website.)

Ideally these cards won't just be the most powerful budget cards, but the ones that are most interesting, versatile, or have effects you can't easily replicate at common or uncommon. In other words, the most Riptide-iest cheap cards you can think of.

I'm thinking of doing two categories for each color:
  • Top 10 rares/mythics per color under $1 (I'll probably only have people submit 10 cards, but I might extend the actual ranking list with honorable mentions to have 15-20 cards total)
  • Top 5 cards per color between $1 and $5
We can brainstorm for about how to handle guild slots since the monocolor/artifact sections are more important anyway. I assume that budget card options are pretty consistent across countries, but if that's not the case we can figure out a workaround for non-U.S. people.

TL;DR: Let's make budget-friendly Riptide rankings for each color to help newbies build their first cubes.

What do you all think? Is this worth the effort? If so, any tweaks before we open up the floodgates to lists?

I love the idea! I've been graving for this for a long long time since this is pretty much my design approach (get most the most play out of the cheap(er) cards)

Chris Taylor

Contributor

So I've been running this card basically since it came out, and I'd always put it in my decks and found that most of my drafters cut it from theirs, even given similar deck composition. Lucas specifically decried the card as shit, only ever talking about it in the capacity to be an accelerant.

and LITERALLY YESTERDAY I found out why: I thought it flipped when you had two spells in your yard. It does not.

So I've been running this card basically since it came out, and I'd always put it in my decks and found that most of my drafters cut it from theirs, even given similar deck composition. Lucas specifically decried the card as shit, only ever talking about it in the capacity to be an accelerant.

and LITERALLY YESTERDAY I found out why: I thought it flipped when you had two spells in your yard. It does not.
I think Baral fairly handily lays this little guy to rest.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Three is a lot. I do have a dedicated spells matter theme in {U/R}, and I've fired off Rise from the Tides for six+ zombies more than once, so I expect Curious Homunculus to be able to flip in my cube. I do think only being able to spend the {c} on instants and sorceries keeps down the value of this spell. For a nice alternative, you could try Baral from the new set.

I do wonder if I'll ever see the t1 spell, t2 Homunculus, t3 spell, t4 spell, t5, flip + Wildfire, Voracious Reader survives as a 4/5 :)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
My point mostly being that expecting him to flip relatively consistently on turn 4, with turn 3 being possible if you slant your deck and put the work in was ludicrously optimistic

Whydirt, yes I like the idea of that. I already made the transition from Peasant to Peasant + to now lower power as I have wanted to add cards to help archetypes and things of that nature.

will it be a NEW thread or what? Will the price checks be among multiple different sites or just using 1 agreed upon site? need to show when the cards were priced etc...?

definitely look at more than 10 honestly....