General CBS

I just realized something really cute about Changeling Outcast.

I've been running this card for a little while now since it's a 1-drop zombie for my tribal zombies and black aggro decks. However, the Changeling mechanic means that this card also is technically an Army. Which means it can be amassed onto. So now, my Lazotep Reaver upgrades Changeling Outcast from an unblockable 1/1 to an unblockable Grizzly Bears. I don't think there's a way to go deep on this, but I thought it was a really cute synergy.

I've been in the process of college finals and moving houses in the last month and my god I've missed a lot of content here on Riptide. I'm not even sure how to engage with some of these threads. I don't know if I'm just changing how I look at cube or if everyone else is, but I kind of feel like some general philosophy shift is going on somewhere.

I have also been noticing a bunch of new people which is nice. It's good to see the community growing a little bit.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I've been in the process of college finals and moving houses in the last month and my god I've missed a lot of content here on Riptide. I'm not even sure how to engage with some of these threads. I don't know if I'm just changing how I look at cube or if everyone else is, but I kind of feel like some general philosophy shift is going on somewhere.

I have also been noticing a bunch of new people which is nice. It's good to see the community growing a little bit.

Can confirm feel like an old man :p
If I didn't have the custom thread to anchor me I'd be a lot more confused

I feel like there's a deeper shift into archetypes and even lower power level. Not sure that's the same feeling you get, but this is what I get from recent posts.

Did mainstream become classic RipLab and we're trying to innovate/be hipsters further?

A lot of goodies have been printed in the last few years to allow lower power levels to flourish and still maintain a high level of dynamism and nuance. It feels like card interactions and synergy can be woven like a tapestry these days. Whereas just simply supporting an archetype like aristocrats used to feel exciting and adventurous a few years ago

Wow, I was not expecting so much support on a random CBS post! Thanks everyone!!

@Train How did the finals go in these weird times? You aced them? I hope you moved after the finals...
I would say they went quite well! One of my classes had a cheating ring, so the professor made the final nearly impossible to get a half-decent grade on. None of my other classes had any issues though, which was nice :).

It was a pretty chill semester overall, despite the virus.

I feel like there's a deeper shift into archetypes and even lower power level. Not sure that's the same feeling you get, but this is what I get from recent posts.

Did mainstream become classic RipLab and we're trying to innovate/be hipsters further?

I think classic riptide has become easier to achieve over the last two or so years thanks to the glut of high power yet high synergy cards we've been seeing. You don't have to sacrifice archetype design for power level in the same way you used to. It's a fun formula and it's becoming easier to integrate into a traditional legacy style cube format.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Seigniors and senoritas!
A couple days ago I was scouring the endless dumps of Internet and came across such a phrase: "constructed cube events".View attachment 3213
Could anyone explain what it means (if such events exist at all)? If the source is necessary, here it is: http://mtgcube.blogspot.com/2017/01/aether-revolt-preliminary-review-and.html (the first paragraph from below).
I think that's his list of "I wouldn't bother"
Tbh seeing winding constructor on there makes me think the idea is the synergy bar is too high to include these cards, I'd leave them for the constructed players

Wizards had the golden opportunity to update Young Pyromancer art to something superior with Chandra Spellbook but didn't take it. What a shame. Still, this looks like a great lineup:

BftxZFp.jpg

I am a huge fan of the border for these though, these are gonna have some popping foils.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Oh man those look nice. Good choices all round I'd say, and you basically can't NOT include cathartic reunion.

Looooove the pyroblast, looks like a reversed perspective of this art:
ebc01ab4-d89a-4d25-bf54-6aed33772f4b.jpg

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Seigniors and senoritas!
A couple days ago I was scouring the endless dumps of Internet and came across such a phrase: "constructed cube events".View attachment 3213
Could anyone explain what it means (if such events exist at all)? If the source is necessary, here it is: http://mtgcube.blogspot.com/2017/01/aether-revolt-preliminary-review-and.html (the first paragraph from below).

That guy (who offers an interesting perspective) has a Cube for drafting and then builds a lot of singleton 40-card decks to test the limits of what an archetype could look like if it could play cards that are too narrow etc for Cube normally, which I think is what he's referring to there

I thought it would be impolite to create a separate thread for each sucking deck, so here I am. Boros Aggro has showed the tendency to play poorly. So far it has finished 3 drafts with losing records. The deck might be lacking reach, but it doesn't seem to. First, could anyone, please, give me some critique or advice on the list? And the "bonus" question is where can I make posts like this? I'm sure there must be some category/thread on the forum they fit in.

It's likely not a problem with the deck per se, but rather the amount of aggro hosing cards like sweepers, large toughness creatures, life gain, ETB value, and 2 for 1 removal spells you run. You run a lot of all of these. So unless you continue the arms race by weaponizing your aggro with things like Winter Orb, Sulfuric Vortex, etc.....you probably need to dial back some of those effects.

EDITED

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah that deck looks super strong, so unless there are 0 other aggro support cards in your list I wouldn't look at that as the problem.

Assuming your cube cobra link is updated, your environment doesn't look especially hostile to aggro, though it has quite a few board sweepers. Perhaps some of it is just variance? It would be interesting to look at what happened in the games, maybe dial back on the sweepers a little bit? Say, cut Languish and Sweltering Suns.

Perhaps, I should've recorded the general flow of the games of the previous 2 drafts, but I hadn't... I remember, though, what was going on during the last one.
Match 1 was Boros Humans vs. Rakdos Burn. Rakdos won, but the victory was achieved through a totally fair game and tight competition.
Match 2: Boros vs. Abzan Rock. This is where Boros was 0-2'd. As far as I can recall, RW's creatures couldn't get through those of Abzan player, sweepers didn't do that much (I'm not sure they've been cast at all in this match). I could say some words against the Lilianas duo which showed up in the game 1, but, I guess, if it was easier to attack for the Aggro pilot, they would be less opressive (typically they are quite fair in my list).

I doubt: maybe, Knight of Autumn was in sideboard in the game 1, and it's slot was occupied with Mimic Vat.

Abzan Rock from CubeTutor.com

Match 3: Boros won against UWb control which - let's be honest - had problems with lands coming up poorly.