General (CLB) Magic: The Gathering: Commander Legends: Dungeons and Dragons: Battle for Baldur's Gate Previews. Even the NAME is long this time!

View attachment 6969

OK, so we have a 3/3 for 3 that supports aristocrats in the ideal aristocrats colors, who looks like an aristocrat himself. Is this good?

Yes.

✅ Triggers off of tokens
✅ Multiple triggers per turn
✅ Efficient stats
✅ Backwards hands

HOWEVER

❌ Delayed trigger
❌ Only works on your turn
❌ Increasingly competitive guild

I'm still pretty interested. I think Judith fills a similar role and fills it much better, but I may have enough sacrifice outlets in my cube now that it may be time for the namesake Falkenrath Aristocrat is no longer as necessary, and payoffs like this may be the better way to use my precious guild slots. Will have to ask the group!

And his hands are backwards, which I understand means something, but being a D&D ignorant individual I simply find them fun.
there’s a LOT of artifact crats stuff in rakdos thanks to 2021-22. you can pretty much just go as deep as you want on it now and still be able to pick and choose the effects you want in the gold section

The Undercity says that you can't enter it unless you venture into the undercity. I'm pretty sure that as written, you need an initiative card to start off, but once you're in the door, you can use your normal venture cards to progress through it.
You are correct there. I still think it's pretty clunky, but it's less clunky than I thought it was.

Seems like a lot of the coolest cards from this set are getting missed, let's go over them!
en_hBcPQjdeac.png

Already mentioned this card when it was leaked, but my opinion of this has gone up a bit since Streets of New Capenna was released and Raffine, Scheming Seer has proven her worth. This card not having ward or flying is unfortunate, but having 4 toughness is a big enough deal that this card could be quite good as long as there are a few more good adventures in this set.

en_o43ndTRXtG.png

I'm really surprised this gal hasn't been mentioned yet, she seems like a great glue card for Golgari and Jund sacrifice decks. As long as you have a steady stream of Clues, Food, and Treasure to sacrifice as an artifact, dumping a land and a mediocre creature (token) down the garbage disposal seems well worth the reward of getting to draw three cards and lightning helix the opponent. Plus you can do this every turn. This card seems perfect for a lot of Cubes.

en_4DHaA6oKnJ.png

This is an insane White Aggressive card. It immediately draws you a land when it enters the battlefield, effectively gives one of your creatures vigilance, and can give you further effects provided you can retain the initiative. Even if you do lose the initiative, you can probably get it back so long as you're a proactive deck.

Regardless of whether or not the bulk of dealing with the initiative mechanic is worthwhile for some people, I think this card stands pretty well on its own. Hopefully there are more initiative cards of this power level for people who wish to test the mechanic in 1v1 Cubes to help justify the design cost of acquiring external game peices.

bonesummonercleric.jpg

Bone Summoner Cleric said:
{1}{B}
Creature - Human Cleric
{3}{B}, sacrifice Bone Summoner Cleric: Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate only as a Sorcery.
"The unearthly tinkling of the bell penetrates the ears of the dead, rousing them abruptly from eternal sleep."
2/1
Reanimation on a stick? Thank you very much. I don't like that it's sorcery speed but beggars can't be choosers. Maybe this could have cost 3 to activate instead of 4, but whatever, this card is fine.

en_xOrswjMFh3.png

Another year, another set with an ill-conceived Dragon Tribal subtheme that doesn't provide support for Esper Dragons in any meaningful way. This time it's not even in the right colors, being mostly Temur. Oh well, maybe there will be a broken Dragon cantrip or something in this set. Probably not but who knows!

en_bmyCVYaBQB.png

Reasonable-ish dragon. I wish the adventure did more damage for a little more mana or was Shock variant or something but murdering x/1s is fine.

en_k6m7uTpYug.png

Card for normal battle box.

en_TQ3TYYYVSm.png

Card for Treasure box.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Love me some baba yaga

Also in a different angle:

1652989944507.png
Jan Jansen, Chaos Crafter {R}{W}{B}
Legendary Creature - Gnome Artificer

Haste
T, Sacrifice an artifact creature: Create two Treasure tokens.
T, Sacrifice a noncreature artifact: Create two 1/1 colorless Construct colorless creature tokens.
3/3

en_xOrswjMFh3.png

Another year, another set with an ill-conceived Dragon Tribal subtheme that doesn't provide support for Esper Dragons in any meaningful way. This time it's not even in the right colors, being mostly Temur. Oh well, maybe there will be a broken Dragon cantrip or something in this set. Probably not but who knows!

I actually really like that it is Simic. This means it will never be played as the Commander.
It is support! :)
You will put this into your many-colored Dragon Commander deck and when you draw your Bard, you can start pumping out Dragons even faster.

en_bmyCVYaBQB.png

Reasonable-ish dragon. I wish the adventure did more damage for a little more mana or was Shock variant or something but murdering x/1s is fine.

This is one of those cards that is actually pretty cool to cast post combat damage in a limited format.

View attachment 6969

OK, so we have a 3/3 for 3 that supports aristocrats in the ideal aristocrats colors, who looks like an aristocrat himself. Is this good?

Yes.

✅ Triggers off of tokens
✅ Multiple triggers per turn
✅ Efficient stats
✅ Backwards hands

HOWEVER

❌ Delayed trigger
❌ Only works on your turn
❌ Increasingly competitive guild

I'm still pretty interested. I think Judith fills a similar role and fills it much better, but I may have enough sacrifice outlets in my cube now that it may be time for the namesake Falkenrath Aristocrat is no longer as necessary, and payoffs like this may be the better way to use my precious guild slots. Will have to ask the group!

And his hands are backwards, which I understand means something, but being a D&D ignorant individual I simply find them fun.

I feel like Falkenrath still fills that niche as the B/R finisher of choice with the haste and evasion stapled on. Being able to put in a hasty 4-5 damage while curving out, especially after setting up engines for reach ala Blood Artist and Zulaport Cutthroat, is so big to that death by a thousand cuts gameplan. Judith, the Scourge Diva gives you reach with the pings and buffing your board, Ob Nixilis, the Adversary is a pretty great signpost walker for the archetype and plays well with the drain ability, and finally Falkenrath Aristocrat has always been a really great curve-topper for these kind of decks to me. Let's you oscillate between playing the grindy aristocrat game and becoming the beatdown when necessary.

I think this new card is neat, but I don't really see where it slots in as these decks aren't usually building up to a big payoff as much as assembling different pieces. It could definitely work in certain environments, especially those featuring the likes of Mayhem Devil or with a treasure subtheme, but unfortunately there are so many options in Rakdos that I'm not sure what exactly this does better for the archetype that other options that have been around.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Really? They've both got Sac a creature to protect it, but Predator is much slower and you can attack into it really easily.

i may be biased because i’ve played against predator in standard and never done that against aristocrat, but predator is just one of those cards that comes down and you pretty much know you’ve lost even though it takes a while. aristocrat feels more like a fireblast variant to me, which if i’m gonna die to an indestructible flier at least it gets it over with faster

I mean... the big difference is that you can aim a kill spell at Immersturm Predator before combat and feel assured that you aren't going to have to deal with a big indestructible dragon attacking or blocking this turn — Aristo just rips a token's throat open, laughs at your removal spell, and punches you in the face anyway. And she can do it on the turn villain plays her, thanks to haste.

There's also the fact that the Predator only gets one counter per turn cycle, while Aristo can get a number of counters equal to the number of humans you have to feed to her... but I feel like that's an edge-case.

As a side note... am I the only person who seriously undervalued haste when they started playing?

I think predator can grow a lot bigger more consistently, but not super sure it matters. They both kill quickly and efficiently. I like Aristocrat because it's much more fragile to burn and -x/-x than predator, and because it leads more towards actual aristocrats decks since predator can be a huge(r) beatstick even with no purposeful sac theme in the deck.

I think predator can grow a lot bigger more consistently, but not super sure it matters. They both kill quickly and efficiently. I like Aristocrat because it's much more fragile to burn and -x/-x than predator, and because it leads more towards actual aristocrats decks since predator can be a huge(r) beatstick even with no purposeful sac theme in the deck.
sigh you always come along and much more eloquently say the thing i mean lol, thanks

zqh920ql1m091.jpg

This looks slow but kind of legit? (n.b. I do not know Italian.)

I *think* the translation is

Ward X, where X is the number of experience counters you have.

At the end of your turn, gain an experience counter if a permanent you control left the battlefield this turn.

Creatures you control get +1/+0 for each experience counter you have.

I really wish the last ability was +1/+1 (and I'm mentally earmarking it as that for my "customs fixing WotC development mistakes cube"), but this seems like a fun way to snowball. It's kinda juiced for an uncommon. Probably bad without fetches, though.

Yeah that's pretty gassy for an uncommon. I like it as an ability set, but the snowball is a bit permanent for my tastes since xp counters are forever and that's the prime color combo for recursion of Minthara as needed. Would love a charge/etc. counter version that the opponent can actually reset with some removal.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Hey, it's revolt! Pretty cool card! We're slowly but surely getting in a place where there's enough cards that use experience counters that you can start considering them for cube (except Meren, who doesn't need any help to be broken)

I really, really like this art

I really like this picture.jpg

The facial expression, the table, the look of the study, the sunlight from the window. Even the odd blue ball on the table.

And the card, if you want to see it, is here.
It gives suspend except counters aren't removed in upkeep but whenever Alaundo is tapped.

1653055125459.png

Alaundo seems like an interesting fellow, especially if you have an "untap creatures a bunch of times" archetype in your cube.

raggadraggagoregutsboss.jpg
ninefingerskeene.jpg

I'll be honest with you all — I hate this style of card. I don't like the feeling that WotC is building my deck for me, ya know?

I'm with you, @LadyMapi -- the design sensibility for this set (and too much of commander-minded Magic) is disappointing. Deckbuilding as a paint-by-numbers experience can be nice for some players and in some instances, but when they simultaneously invalidate more clever solutions, it solves the issue by creating a new one.

I think it's great that they're making more things like "toughness-matters" legends and other cards that make a very obvious main use-case but still feel like they could be explored in different ways, but I can't help but feel for every open-ended Legendary creature we're getting, we're seeing three that work solely as a Commander. Honestly, minimal tweaking on that Boar would make it not only more compelling as a general EDH card (in roles besides commander especially), but could make it a compelling cube card too. When things are close to being interesting, it makes it all the more frustrating!