General (CLB) Magic: The Gathering: Commander Legends: Dungeons and Dragons: Battle for Baldur's Gate Previews. Even the NAME is long this time!

The red out actually looks better than the white one, tbh. 4/4 flying haste is arguably an even better stat line than it was in 1999, and 4 damage split any which way is no joke. It's overcosted, but I think it's the best out of the three we've seen.

I love these dragons!

The problem to me is :( that I probably can’t run all 10 (Black Dragon and friends) because that would be 10 uncommon spots for for ten 6+ mana bombs. I think that would make each of them individually abundant.

I'm sort of leaning towards Amethyst as the best of the bunch (or at least my favorite), the curve of its spell side into its creature side is going to be really nasty. I'm super excited to have all of these new adventure cards.

1653400316734.png1653400324838.png

Nice, more adventures for my cube. I'll have to make some renders with the actually beautiful adventure frame from eldraine for these and Horn of Valhalla. Could imagine worse problems though.

lKST2pO2M8QBj2HWCyv8LrWzZ_HTJMc56Xv93-BcXC0.png

A) this makes the green dragon look silly.
B) why did they break the cycle of the dragons being 4/4 for 6 with the blue one being the most efficient?? Yeah, it's a nerf to help it not completely bully the green dragon out of his lunch money, but it's weird that the color with the least-efficient bodies gets the most efficient one in this cycle.

Still a good card, though.

View attachment 6995

B) why did they break the cycle of the dragons being 4/4 for 6 with the blue one being the most efficient?? Yeah, it's a nerf to help it not completely bully the green dragon out of his lunch money, but it's weird that the color with the least-efficient bodies gets the most efficient one in this cycle.

these dragons are way cool!
generally speaking if i chop generic mana off to fix the dev, they’re all eminently cubable designs for high power levels. and for my peasant arena cube they’ll probably almost all go in as-is. just good value

View attachment 6995

And all while I am looking for the ideal blue 6-drop for years at this point. Well, still a great card.

View attachment 6995

I'm currently running 3 blue cards that counter non-creature spells:

I think the Archmage is the best of this effect in cube, doubling as a creature, being able to be used twice, and forcing your opponents to play around it all makes for great gameplay.

Force of Negation took Negate's spot and I've been very happy with it. A free reactive spell isn't as oppressive as a straight-up Force of Will while still providing for some great stories and turnarounds. A bit on the powerful side for sure, but in a way that I'm comfortable with.

Malevolent Hermit is another card I've enjoyed, and a good comparison to this dragon. I think they're quite similar in power level and play pattern, and am curious which one I'd prefer to have.

Pros of the Hermit
{U} You can still get a Wind Drake in your graveyard if it's milled
{U} You can pay the 3 mana for the Negate effect over two turns, and only have to keep up 1
{U} Attacks like a champ while it's threatening counter magic

Pros of the Dragon
{U} Hard counter
{U} Doesn't telegraph the ability
{U} Higher ceiling
{U} It's a dragon

Am I wrong? Are these about the same on the power level scale?

I think the hermit is a bit better overall, for being so much more mana efficient and for having the built-in recursion, but they are pretty close I suppose. They aren't really meant for the same types of decks.

I probably like the play pattern of the dragon better, as I find the Archmage-style permission just clogs gamestates awkwardly.

rescuingchwinga.jpg

There are now two cards I am interested in. (It's an Aviary Mechanic with flash.)

I've given this card some consideration because the idea of finding a raise dead with stoneforge is a neat idea, but the card as a whole doesn't really do it for me. I hope there's still some adventure equipment yet to come, but I'm not too hopeful.

Something just clicked in my head.

You know what "format" this set is going to really help? Custom Jumpstart packs. We're going to have a second Thriving cycle which will probably be cheaper.

On top of that, those new Thriving lands are Gates, which means that you can make a set of packs where all of the duals are Gates. Which opens up some... interesting... design opportunities.

exploretheunderdark.jpg

This thing is surprisingly good once you take into account that one of the new Gates makes your Gates enter the battlefield untapped...