General (CLB) Magic: The Gathering: Commander Legends: Dungeons and Dragons: Battle for Baldur's Gate Previews. Even the NAME is long this time!

Its rare you get a 3 mana card that can just pop down and surprise a win. Thats really powerful. Sure you need some set up first, but same with many, many, many other powerful cards. Even with just two pre-existing treasures you can easily add 7-10 damage the opponent wasnt expecting that turn, and you have spare mana for burn or something else. Its not like you need 8 treasures out for this to pop off. The body is really the least of the cards concern.

We also aren't talking about edh here. So professional facebreaker being more relevant to that format need not apply. But they do play pretty well in the same deck together.

The Swashbuckler is definitely disappointing, no two ways about it, but I don't see a good way to fix it while keeping the simplicity, low spot on the mana curve, and utility without additional board presence. If it were a 1/1 for 2 that refunded you a mana when you cast it, it would be outright broken.

I also think that people are undervaluing a Grey Ogre that makes a treasure on ETB. Sure, it's no Jewel Thief, but having the flexibility to ramp into a 5-drop a turn early if drawn at that point in the game or to win the game if you draw it turn 11 covers a lot of ground.

1653649660580.png

Now, that is some red card draw I can get behind! The treasures give it extra legs in artifact and wildfire decks, and enable splashs. Also, unlike Tidings, this allows you to play something in the same turn, preventing you from falling behind on board! Love it.

View attachment 7003

Now, that is some red card draw I can get behind! The treasures give it extra legs in artifact and wildfire decks, and enable splashs. Also, unlike Tidings, this allows you to play something in the same turn, preventing you from falling behind on board! Love it.
i was JUST talking to some folks who run weekly artisan cube drafts on arena and we’ve pretty come to the same conclusion: it’s an Escape to the Wilds sidegrade

This set looks to be mostly a bust for me. I'm sure there's one or two cards I've overlooked, but on first glance this has pretty meager offerings and I can't think of anything I'd want to add. Even AFR had an auto-include for me in Portable Hole, then Blue Dragon + Teleportation Circle on 2nd go around after hearing results. I just don't like DnD sets I guess.

I hope this is the last one we get, not a fan of dice-rolling or garbage dungeon mechanics and especially not of overly wordy "flavorful" legends that don't mean a thing to me.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. I love adventures and I'll add three new with this set. But there are more sweet lower power designs, elegant ones even. Like that Piker that turns into Zombify, red treasure Tidings or the Dragon turtle that'll be a 7/7 ward 4 on turn 4 in the right decks.

Oh yeah. I love adventures and I'll add three new with this set. But there are more sweet lower power designs, elegant ones even. Like that Piker that turns into Zombify, red treasure Tidings or the Dragon turtle that'll be a 7/7 ward 4 on turn 4 in the right decks.
red tidings is sick yeah. i’m testing Dragon Turtle for vintage, and another good one i noticed is that black 2/1 deathtouch that draws when it dies

This set has so many cool cards I like. I dig simplicity on my cube cards <3

I expect I will test a lot of the commons and uncommons. Some might even be thrown in there with no testing (but tournaments are always testing anyways). The only issue I have is that many of the cards have non-relevant creatures types but that is not their fault or problem but my cube’s problem (and my fault). Maybe I can find a way around that.

Waiting for @TrainmasterGT

My point was that it was not a red Tidings because Tidings draw four cards.

This one can only ever draw three.

That being said it isn't exactly red Concentrate. It's just closer to it because it draws 3. All I wanted to say that it wasn't red Tidings like what had been said five times in this thread already. I don't exactly know if there is any card that is exactly on the nose :p

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
My point was that it was not a red Tidings because Tidings draw four cards.

This one can only ever draw three.

That being said it isn't exactly red Concentrate. It's just closer to it because it draws 3. All I wanted to say that it wasn't red Tidings like what had been said five times in this thread already. I don't exactly know if there is any card that is exactly on the nose :p

It's tidings, the last card you draw is black lotus ;)

artificerclass.jpg

This is a really cute card. I'm not sure it's good... but it's cute.

I was just about to post that! But, uh, it's a 2-MV rock in the right deck that then draws you a cantrip and a game-ending effect. I think it's good enough.

Also, it does a great job facilitating the "artifact + enchantment" stuff we've been getting recently.

I was just about to post that! But, uh, it's a 2-MV rock in the right deck that then draws you a cantrip and a game-ending effect. I think it's good enough.

Also, it does a great job facilitating the "artifact + enchantment" stuff we've been getting recently.

Nice!
May I ask if you have implemented any artifacts + enchantments themes into your cube?
If yes, I wouldn’t mind taking a peek and ask for some advice from you.

It's weird to have a different commander expansion for a commander set but beyond the immediate confusion I guess I can't complain. Some neat cards today.

delayedblastfireball.jpg

The best one is the one-sided instant-speed Pyroclasm for 3, which already is an acceptable start -- almost too good of one for how much it wrecks aggro, honestly. Even without Foretelling this, you can reasonably cast Delayed Blast Fireball in its 5 damage mode with the dozens of impulse draw effects many of us already play with for 3 mana. I'm not 100% convinced I'll run this yet for its potential oppressiveness with aggro, but it's certainly a compelling piece of cardboard.

harperrecruiter.jpg

I first read this as an ETB effect instead of an attack trigger, and was in. A 3/1 flying body is what I really needed from this kind of card in the past, but it's a bit too narrow and 4 cards is one too few for an attack trigger. It's close though, and I'm going to pick one up just in case. White's only recently started getting 3 power attackers at 3 MV with no downside, and they do good work.

greenslime.jpg

Much more narrow than a Reclamation Sage, Green Slime makes up for its narrower opportunities for interaction by having flash and an immense amount of story potential equity. I'm strongly considering this, especially since I've moved the Thrashing Brontodon to my reject cube.

Considering how low I've been on this set overall, today is a pretty good day!