General (CLB) Magic: The Gathering: Commander Legends: Dungeons and Dragons: Battle for Baldur's Gate Previews. Even the NAME is long this time!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
delayedblastfireball.jpg

The best one is the one-sided instant-speed Pyroclasm for 3, which already is an acceptable start -- almost too good of one for how much it wrecks aggro, honestly. Even without Foretelling this, you can reasonably cast Delayed Blast Fireball in its 5 damage mode with the dozens of impulse draw effects many of us already play with for 3 mana. I'm not 100% convinced I'll run this yet for its potential oppressiveness with aggro, but it's certainly a compelling piece of cardboard.
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Anyone successfully running Party? Seems like four reasonable creature types to include and it's got some decent looking support now. Could totally still be a dud because it's (four) tribal.

I have not, but I'm hoping to! I'll ping you if/when that comes together.
Ping me, too. I'm trying to work it right now, but it's unclear if it's going to work. I also don't know which cube I should be focusing on, so it might get no work put into it.

What a great idea!
My "reject cube" what I use as my travel cube -- it's only supposed to be 360 cards, making it much easier to manage than my 720, and much less valuable. I ended up with some repeats from my main because I ended up building it in a hurry for an event and didn't want to have to purchase cards solely for the purpose of filling out the curve / hitting the right removal density, but I'm working on de-duplicating it over time. I'll be keeping one exception for lands, since having good mana is valuable to what I like out of cube even if the power level is markedly lower.

I can't recommend it enough for all y'all -- it allows me to play with the cards that were painful to cut over the last 10 years of cubing, and gives a completely different experience. Working on supporting some stronger archetypes next, since it's mostly just midrangey goodstuff due to what's been excised from my list over the decade.

Black Market Connections.png

This one is very similiar to one of my most popular custom cards ever (that I cut when I decided to stop doing customs that didn't do anything format breaking)

I think I will have to try this out simply for that reason. I can imagine getting a 3/2 every turn for 4 turns against a control deck is pretty busted.

Took a look. See a lot of party cards. See a lot of the cards in those tribes. Do people draft party often? Is it a popular and successful deck? I also see format/game type this goes in phases and I didn't check the future phases.
Yes, correct. In my opinion that is basically how to do creature tribal themes.

I would say it is above average succesful. But it's never impressive. Party is one of those tribal mechanics (like Humans) that you can almost throw into any cube these days because so many creatures the last few years have 'randomly' been Cleric, Rogue Warrior or Wizards. Sometimes I have to make a cut where I pull out a creature in order to add another similiar creature but with the relevant creature type. And sometimes I don't do this because I want the tribal creature types to not be everywhere.

I have noticed that players enjoy drafting party. I think some players totally skip drafting them by default and that makes it a little better for the ones who go for it.

View attachment 7026

This one is very similiar to one of my most popular custom cards ever (that I cut when I decided to stop doing customs that didn't do anything format breaking)

I think I will have to try this out simply for that reason. I can imagine getting a 3/2 every turn for 4 turns against a control deck is pretty busted.
Black Market Connections makes me legitimately debate whether or not I should make another "everyone starts with an [insert card here] emblem" cube.

Black Market Connections makes me legitimately debate whether or not I should make another "everyone starts with an [insert card here] emblem" cube.
Shiiiit.

Suicide aggro looks very good.
Life gain becomes relevant.
Death's Shadow is a super draftable deck.
Artifact count can either be easily achieved or slowly trickled out via the emblem.
Removing 2 toughness becomes essential. Having 4 toughness to block 3 power, as well.

Probably has a lot of potential, but I worry that accruing Treasures for 3-4 turns and blasting out some bomb will be backbreaking, so the top end of the curve needs to be extremely tame.

EDIT: Several edits before I realized I'd been quoted.

Last edited:
Shiiiit.

Artifact count can either be easily achieved or slowly trickled out via the emblem.
Removing 2 toughness becomes essential. Having 4 toughness to block 3 power, as well.

Probably has a lot of potential.

Even better, games are capped at 20 turns if you don't include lifegain. Which you probably should, but hey, anything to disincentivize super long games.

Shiiiit.

Probably has a lot of potential.
please note it’s precombat main phase, not end step or post combat main phase.
would be kinda cool in shadow but you also want multiple shadows for that deck to work. very cool card tho

EDIT: sorry didn’t realize this was speculating on the emblem format wide effects

Even better, games are capped at 20 turns if you don't include lifegain. Which you probably should, but hey, anything to disincentivize super long games.
I think you'd absolutely want to include life gain, but the capability to create 3/2s and protect them in a longer game will prevent things from going overly long.