General (CLB) Magic: The Gathering: Commander Legends: Dungeons and Dragons: Battle for Baldur's Gate Previews. Even the NAME is long this time!

How is this the most efficient? Because the adventure is the best of the low cost ones?
5 power + 6 toughness = 11 stats
4 power + 4 toughness = 8 stats
11 stats / 7 mana > 8 stats / 6 mana

The above isn't a perfect formula, but Blue is supposed to make crappier bodies for the cost than any other color, and it seems funny that now you get more stats per magic dollar when you're Blue.

7 mana is a lot harder to reach than 6 is though, so the mana scale isn't really linear. It's less a more efficient body IMO and more a body that's offsetting a 2+ turn later deployment in many games.
6 toughness is also a lot harder to kill than 4 in a lot of matchups.

Either way, I'm eager to see the black dragon.

As it turns out, you cannot quote a quote on this forum :) Never knew that before.

Anyways @Zoss

Here is the definition of a nerf in gaming:

Definition of Nerf
(in a video game) to reconfigure (an existing character or weapon), making it less powerful: The game development team nerfed several guns in the recent update.

Either way, I'm eager to see the black dragon.
Topaz-Dragon-CLB-672.jpg

Seems a bit meh, which is unfortunate :/

I was also excited for this one.

@Velrun I'm comparing the existing card with a hypothetical version of the car that is 4/4 for 6 mana with all of the other text identical to what is printed and arguing that, all else being equal, transforming that card into a 7-mana 5/6 is a net nerf. I didn't spell out the implication there, sorry.

Yeah... It's ok.

I'm looking at taking my power level down to just above retail (basically retail but with aggro decks), so there's a small chance I could use it, but both modes are about as uninteresting as they could have made it. Was hoping for a 4-5 mana Murder or like a 3 mana Smother.

At least Black Dragon Gate is a cool name and has decent art. That was a guaranteed add for me since seeing the red one leaked.

You know, it's weird, but... I kinda wish that WotC didn't push so many of the Treasure cards?

I do like these two, though:

swashbucklerextraordinaire.jpg
youngreddragon.jpg

Swashbuckler Extraordinaire is sweet because it gives you a really solid alternate use for your Treasure tokens.
Young Red Dragon is just a nice, clean design.

I'm undecided on swashbuckler. I want more treasures in my environment, they help produce "big turns" which are important for some of my archetypes, it's random artifact support, and the double strike works well with the bursty aggro decks I want to facilitate.
But it's also ultimately a pretty mopey creature, and I can't really imagine myself picking it except reluctantly. Maybe I'm underrating it, but for most scenarios, I'm pretty sure it's just a gray ogre with "ETB: cast Strike it Rich or Assault Strobe" with marginal nuance. It's not like my storm decks are going to be excited to pick this up because it gives you an extra mana, and while I could see it as a plausible build-around if I had enough treasure production to take advantage of the double strike repeatedly, I don't, because a lot of the other treasure cards suffer from similar problems.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I mean, I look at that thing and think "Do I just want silverblade paladin, a card I cut ages ago in most cases?" but I'm probably not the actual target audience here.
But this certainly does support a "Big Turn" it's just something someone will be dead after, rather than casting an 8 drop

I think what I've realized is that if it just was a goblin piker instead of a gray ogre I'd be all over it and I'd still consider it to have a pretty reasonable power level.
this is a multiplayer set why are all the creatures so bad aaaahhh

I mean that sac ability is wicked powerful. It can fairly readily present an insta-kill for a 3 mana outlay. I'm not surprised they put the body where it is. Standard body for a double striker anyways, which at least the swashbuckler could be via self-directed sac.

I think what I've realized is that if it just was a goblin piker instead of a gray ogre I'd be all over it and I'd still consider it to have a pretty reasonable power level.
this is a multiplayer set why are all the creatures so bad aaaahhh
I mean, I'm actually happy that it has a "non-competitive" body. I kinda hate how efficient creatures have gotten in general.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I mean that sac ability is wicked powerful. It can fairly readily present an insta-kill for a 3 mana outlay. I'm not surprised they put the body where it is. Standard body for a double striker anyways, which at least the swashbuckler could be via self-directed sac.
So like, yes but is the grand top shelf case being clever riot too much? Have we abandoned overrun as a society? :p

youngbluedragon.jpg

Cantrip Dragon. I wish this had an instant speed adventure but as-is it's probably fine. I'm hoping this is a cycle and not just available in Red and Blue.

So like, yes but is the grand top shelf case being clever riot too much? Have we abandoned overrun as a society? :p
It's a Cleaver Riot with artifact synergies and a bear attached.

Also, when was the last time Red got Overrun? (No seriously, remind me — it seems like something that would have a color-shifted version.)

I don't know if I'd call it "wicked powerful", you need a reasonable amount of investment into making it worth the squeeze, and there are a lot of dumb things you can do with a consistent treasure flow. It doesn't seem to be much at all comparable to a card like Professional Face-Breaker, which is both much better at producing treasures, and gives you an outlet for them that is generally considered more desirable in EDH. I also don't think this costing 2 or 3 is all that relevant for the format it is primarily designed towards, being limited commander, as it's more impactful when used on a big creature to begin with.
I mean, I'm actually happy that it has a "non-competitive" body. I kinda hate how efficient creatures have gotten in general.
It would likely still not be competitive in any of the actual formats where you can actually play it, it just also means it's not competitive in my cube, which doesn't feel like much to be happy about. There are still 2-drops from 15 years ago that I would consider to be more powerful than my theoretical card.

I just want some more treasures in my cube, and it's disheartening to see this sickass card design to wasted on a dud. Not only does it have cross-archetype appeal, but it also produces some nice tension between using the artifact for mana, using it for damage, and whether to use it for damage now or save it for a bigger creature. Plus it encourages you to do fun things like cast big spells or do chunky hits. These are the cards I want to play with, ones that produce erratic shifts in the flow of the game, instead of ones that are just good every turn.