Staff member
Things that care about clerics:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

I love tribal themes. And clerics are awesome. One guy in my group would orgasm over the idea of a cleric tribal theme in the cube, so I'll entertain this for awhile.

There are a lot more playable clerics than I thought, but the options we have for making clerics matter are pretty bogus (at least based on what you just listed). I'm going to check gatherer real quick and see what else I find.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I am willing to entertain just adding
Image.ashx

to the utility land draft. But I would love if I could make some full-blown Cleric thing work because it's so preposterous. Likely overlapping with the lifegain theme being discussed elsewhere on the boards that is giving me weird feelings in my loins.

I could see myself throwing out tokens from white and go all in on humans, tokens and lufegain. It would be amazing. I think I just made up my mind. WW forever!

I don't generally run triple color mana costs, but if we are going all the way with this.

This guy would cost U the turn after you drop Edgewalker. And his B ability would be sweet with undying dudes.

Human theme
I could see myself throwing out tokens from white and go all in on humans, tokens and lufegain. It would be amazing. I think I just made up my mind. WW forever!

Human theme is much more doable.

Maybe one day we can make the Cleric theme a reality in cube. For now, I think it needs to live as a super janky casual deck I would probably enjoy trying to build when I get free time.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I don't generally run triple color mana costs, but if we are going all the way with this.

This guy would cost U the turn after you drop Edgewalker. And his B ability would be sweet with undying dudes.

If only this card didn't seem really, really awful. They keep printing clerics but no sweet "clerics matters" cards.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think there are two main questions: can we make lifegain into a viable and well-designed archetype in a sufficiently powerful (e.g. mine) cube? If so, can cleric stuff (mainly Starlit Sanctum in the utility land draft) be a fun and useful component of said archetype?

I think there are two main questions: can we make lifegain into a viable and well-designed archetype in a sufficiently powerful (e.g. mine) cube? If so, can cleric stuff (mainly Starlit Sanctum in the utility land draft) be a fun and useful component of said archetype?

I don't think so. At least not the cleric part.

But even with a lifegain theme, the biggest issue with it is that it doesn't win you the game by itself (you can't gain life your opponent to death). So it really should be a supplemental mechanic. My 2 cents.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Actually these cards look really cool. What's good about Cabal Archon and Rotlung Whatever is they have crossover to human and zombie tribal. Starlit Sanctum looks really cool. The way these synergies are looking I don't think Edgewalker is part of the plan yet. It doesn't look to me like the cards are there yet to make this really work, which is cool because there's room to design some of our own. I'm thinking of a 1-drop that grows when you gain life. Firstly because they should exist, and secondly because it's a really direct idea from Champion of the Parish and Carrion Feeder. It's the tribal growing 1-drop. Maybe a 2/1 for 1 that drains them whenever you gain life or something? But then you can't sac it to Cabal Archon and get the bonus. I dunno. Interesting discussion.

This is the third version of this post. I wrote it once saying this whole idea was pointless, then revised it, then realised this idea is kinda awesome and I finally started thinking.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
If Shamans counted as clerics I think I would be able to pull this off, but as is I think running the sanctum in the utility draft is as deep as you need to go. Its a pretty useful land. Maybe Rotlung reanimator too, but Xanthid Necromancer is kind of the same thing for a bigger tribe. Cabal Archon is a very cool card, but its just so narrow.

For a while I was on a make-good-clerics bent because I always felt bad for that tribe and because I thought BW could use improving. I like the idea of focusing on BW's mana and reach a little more though.
If we ever get hybrid symbols on the site I'll post some of the ideas.

I think Extort and Exalted are super sweet mechanics and totally under utilized they fit clerics very well. I also think protection is too much of a bad word right now and could probably be explored in different situations to make cool cards.

I tried it, it is hard to get it going without something like springleaf drum. It's not a card that likes to attack too much with those stats. But I am a big fan of the card and effect.

CML

Contributor
it costs infinity is the problem, if ever there were a home for this kind of powerful yet costly effect it would be cube. someone give it a try?