Card/Deck Cleric Tribal

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
If you're going to pay 6 mana to get a 1/4 and a conditional regrowth, why not just, you know, play good cards instead?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
It was fun for me back in 09, no idea how good it is now but white has so few interesting effects that I might try it anyway.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Turns out I only run like, 6 Clerics in my whole cube. There are others I could conceivably jam in there, but I don't think even Starlit Sanctum will be playable in any deck.

CML

Contributor
Yeah, I only have 7, could go as high as 12 if I 'pushed' the theme. But naaaaaaah

All I want to do now is design clerics. Particularly common and uncommon ones. I think it's party that I'm having trouble designing white creatures or really establishing for myself what white creatures are supposed to do in limited environments. I like that cleric flavor works really well with a lot of the standard white creature professions: Blocking, buffing, lifegain, army in a can, global effects, protection, iconoclasty and detention effects.

I also like that there is a lot of room for clerics in black and it's the sort of thing you like to do in black and that make black interesting. The interaction and overlap between the two colours is also pretty weird and interesting.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
If I made a custom cube I would totally Cleric the fuck out of it. Mainly because "cleric" is such a cool word and totally novel.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Also, when I was looking at Clerics to sacrifice, half the ones in my cube were things you really didn't want to sacrifice.

Changelings don't usually feel right or very interesting unless they are benefiting the interesting stuff already going on.

The typed spells are also rarely relevant to most popular tribal strategies. I really like inversion though.

I think one of the things I like about clerics is that when I think about them, often their abilities don't seem to feel too tribal. I'm sure there could be tonnes of clerics that interact more favorably with clerics or humans or coloured creatures but for the most part they seem to be indiscriminate. There are more Mother of Runes, Orzhov Pontiff and Lyzolda the Blood Witch than their are Edgewalker, Rotlung Reanimator or Cabal Archon.

So it makes me think about what cleric tribal does if it doesn't tend to necessitate clerics. I guess it just sorta plays well with certain popular themes?

Crib Swap and Chameleon Colossus are probably the only other ones. I do love me some changelings, though. Got a Reaper King EDH deck with tons of lords and changelings out the wazoo, tons of fun.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Crib Swap is okay, but you can't exactly sac it to starlight sanctum.
And Chameleon colossus has pro black :(
Also he's kinda just a big dude.

And of course there's mutavault, which kinda counts.
I can't remember the name of it, but there's that 3cc artifact that you choose a creature type when it comes into play and gives them +1+1. I've seen it in a few lists but has anyone tried it?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Taurean Mauler isn't completely useless and Red 3 drops aren't usually set in stone, though a red based cleric deck probably isn't an option.

I'm still in favor of rolling shaman as an official subdivision of cleric and calling it a day if this is the direction you want to push,

Crib Swap is okay, but you can't exactly sac it to starlight sanctum.
And Chameleon colossus has pro black :(
Also he's kinda just a big dude.

Man I love the chameleon colossus. Think of it more like being untargetable by black spells and maybe you will feel less bad about it chris.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I saw via sideways glance that Travis Woo made a modern Shamans deck. Are any of the ideas transferable to cube?

not particularly, no

fwiw my mostly-custom cube has both a cleric/shamans theme and the only shaman specific card that's in both that cube and twoo's deck is rage forger and says "shaman or elemental" errata in the cube

one of my better cleric ideas:

Gatekeeper (w/b)(w/b)
Creature - Cleric Human (/zombie?)
{2}{W}, Sacrifice a creature: Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
{2}{B}, Sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature.
2/2

Sorta captures things that I think clerics should do.

Also things like this

Village Elder {2}{W}
Creature - Human Cleric
{T}: Target creature gains lifelink
When Village Elder enters the battlefield put 2 1/1 white human creature tokens into play.
1/1